24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 264 Kreedmire and 147's at 2700fps and hold the Fluff.

Hint........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BP-B6

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
So all of this fluff is based on the whopping BC of the 264 bullet. Does anyone independently test BC's or is this like the factory claims of velocities before the average reloader had a chronograph?
In Coyote Hunter's table I see less than 1/2MOA difference at 700 yards. If anyone can honestly use that 1/2 MOA in a hunting situation, my hat is off to them.

Last edited by Blacktailer; 12/14/18.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts and Physics are disconcerting to many...especially those who only "shoot" their mouths and imaginations. Hint.

Pass light done right,the melding of twist/throat/COAL geometry,a short action,(5) 8x40 base fasteners,a goodly reduction in recoil/blast,less loot,superior logistics and a whopping increase in FUN.

If only for fhuqking starters. Hint.

Easy for me to say,simply because I shoot it all and then some.

Re-hint.................................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
So all of this fluff is based on the whopping BC of the 264 bullet. Does anyone independently test BC's or is this like the factory claims of velocities before the average reloader had a chronograph?
In Coyote Hunter's table I see less than 1/2MOA difference at 700 yards. If anyone can honestly use that 1/2 MOA in a hunting situation, my hat is off to them.

It isn't the difference in drop or drift that makes the 6.5PRC interesting to me - as I said above, the difference in drift and drop isn't great - but I'd happily take what it offers in those areas. Retained velocity and energy was the basis for my comments about the 6.5PRC beating the .270 Win by 100 yards.

If I was going to get another rifle in the .243" to .284" range, it would be another 6.5 something, in large part because I already have boxes of .264" bullets on my reload bench and none in .277". I've long considered building a light-weight walk-around 6.5-06 to complement the heavy-barrel/laminate-stocked 6.5-06AI rifle sitting in my safe. The PRC would be equally acceptable.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 12/14/18. Reason: typo corrected

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pass the 7-08 and 180 ELD's.

Hint.

Easy for me to say,if only because I shoot it all.

Re-hint............

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Joe Average can take care of 90% of it in one trip to Sportsmans Warehouse.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joe Average ain't very fhuqking bright.

100% of the time.

Hint.........................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

It isn't the difference in drop or drift that makes the 6.5PRC interesting to me - as I said above, the difference in drift and drop isn't great - but I'd happily take what it offers in those areas. Retained velocity and energy was the basis for my comments about the 6.5PRC beating the .270 Win by 100 yards.

If I was going to get another rifle in the .243" to .284" range, it would be another 6.5 something, in large part because I already have boxes of .264" bullets on my reload bench and none in .277". I've long considered building a light-weight walk-around 6.5-06 to complement the heavy-barrel/laminate-stocked 6.5-06AI rifle sitting in my safe. The PRC would be equally acceptable.

If I had lots of 264's laying around, I would agree. But my point was who is calculating BC's and are some factories being generous on their numbers? How is BC measured? Is it calculated or is it tested? Who is doing the testing and do they have a dog in the hunt? Most of us remember the optimistic velocity figures quoted by manufacturers and gun scribes. When Chronographs became a common item, those figures needed to be adjusted. I just wonder if the figures are real.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nosler can get their phone number right and that's about it. Whatever Bryan Litz says is the BC, is the BC. Shooting being the final answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If I had lots of 264's laying around, I would agree. But my point was who is calculating BC's and are some factories being generous on their numbers? How is BC measured? Is it calculated or is it tested? Who is doing the testing and do they have a dog in the hunt? Most of us remember the optimistic velocity figures quoted by manufacturers and gun scribes. When Chronographs became a common item, those figures needed to be adjusted. I just wonder if the figures are real.

The Hornady bullets I used in my examples have had their B.C. measured/verified with Doppler radar.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

The Hornady bullets I used in my examples have had their B.C. measured/verified with Doppler radar.

Caveat emptor laugh

Jack O'Connor
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Blacktailer, are you telling us that you don't confirm BCs for yourself?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Joe Average ain't very fhuqking bright.

100% of the time.

Hint.........................

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cast10K

I just fling 'em and see where they land. ...grin...

Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cast10K

I just fling 'em and see where they land. ...grin...

Anyone that doesn't verify trajectories at the range is just hoping and guessing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.