-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dewalt, local ranch supply has a 2 for 1 battery deal twice a year and other brands don’t.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a DeWalt 1/2 inch hammer drill. Cordless , 18V. It has to be pushing 20 years old. The only issue with it is batteries. I don't use it often anymore, and the batteries just don't last. Bought a new set in 2016, and they already are not holding a charge. Damned expensive too.

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I have one of those and they are GREAT. It charges my iphone faster than the damn wall charger does.........

Well, they're unlike the Dewalt which will give you a Hot indication then charge when the battery cools. The Makita chip will lock it up forever. Same -25, other battery, run tool for a minute to warm up, then charges fine. Other battery, locked up forever. Yes, I fugged that one up in the cold. First Montana winter lol... But running a tool, throw battery in the charger and it's made never usable again by the chip, not an actual bad cell, just hot, pure, horsechit Makita. There's no reset, no reprogram, nada, that I've been able to find... Would strongly recommend against. Do want a phone charger doohicky now though! I'll run that impact as long as it'll go, it's been a great tool. Gone Dewalt and passed the point of no return... I actually used a corded drill the other day as it was closer than going to get the cordless! Crazy times.

Not even the techies have figured out how to hack the Makita chip. But if taken care of the Makita batteries seem to last longer than others.

A finish carpenter friend of mine is now running a DeWalt cordless table saw and cordless miter saw. They seem to work well for his finish carpentry.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have a DeWalt 1/2 inch hammer drill. Cordless , 18V. It has to be pushing 20 years old. The only issue with it is batteries. I don't use it often anymore, and the batteries just don't last. Bought a new set in 2016, and they already are not holding a charge. Damned expensive too.

Sam,
If your drill is 20 years old it's NiCad. The current production NiCad tool batteries being produced aren't very good. They're just not putting any effort into NiCad with the advent of Lithium's. Lithium's are a big step up in convenience and power.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For about a $100 you can get the dewalt rebuilt, or at least you use to could.

I got a 18v dewalt drill that I bought in Chicago in about 2003 or so. Was doing service tech work at the time and used it most every day. After about 3 years it started getting weak, so I had it rebuilt and since I didn't have that job anymore and don't use it nearly as much, it's still going strong.

Also, I buy rebuilt batteries for $40 that are way better than the factory new batteries.

Last edited by Oldman3; 12/13/18.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Milwaukee and Makita are owned by the same parent company, there is a bit of crossover as far as technology is concerned.

Makita introduced the first commercial cordless drill, and tends to be a half step ahead in others when it comes to batteries and motors--which is the most important parts of cordless drill/drivers. Makita batteries will last longer.

Milwaukee makes very good stuff, the quality of the rest of the tool (besides battery and motor) seems to be a tad better than Makita.

Dewalt is generally a few dollars less, and offered the bang-for-the-buck factor. After suffering a bit during the recession,, Dewalt has come back strong and is offering a lot of new, useful tools currently.

Ryobi isn't bad, the batteries are shorter lived than the above brands.

I really wouldn't mess with Rigid.

Panasonic, Hitachi, and Porter Cable aren't bad, but their cordless tools are a step behind the big three these days.

Pick your favorite color, pick a battery voltage (although I think some of the DeWalt stuff can run either 20v or 18v batteries), and stick with the same brand and battery--it makes life more simple.

The bigger the battery, the heavier the tool.

Couple things: KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED. It makes them last longer. Don't deplete them and then throw 'em in the corner and let them sit. Don't let them freeze. A fully charged battery doesn't freeze as easily as a depleted battery.

The lithium batteries have a chip in them to communicate with the charger and not allow the lithium batteries to melt down when things go wrong (see Boeing). There is a minimum voltage threshold and if the battery is depleted, freezes, drops the voltage below that minimum threshold, it permanently shuts down the battery. The Makitas have the most sophisticated chip and are the first to shut off the battery--there is no way to undo it, either.

That is some good stuff... THANKS!

I have a bucket full of the Makita 9.6v stuff... they were the best tools going 30 years ago... hate to toss, but like you said... new tech... maybe FleaBay them...

Last edited by CashisKing; 12/13/18. Reason: Typos... as always

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm in the Milwaukee camp. Among other projects in the past year I've rebuilt 3 piers at 400' each, using 3" stainless steel screws. The screw count on these 3 projects alone is around 15,0000. I don't have a count on the 5/8" X 12" piling bolts replaced, but it was a bunch. There was also 1000's of 1 1/4" and 1 5/8" strap screws replaced on conduit and water lines. Plenty of saltwater contact along the way, plus rain and sand. All work completed with one slightly used M18 and 2 batteries.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This is why I gave up on the high dollar battery drills.I can go to Harbor Freight and buy one for $25 on sale, use it a year and throw it away,Current one is on the 3rd year and still going strong.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Get the Dewalt.

The Milwaukee red is ugly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

I have a Craftsman kit I bought a while back 18v ni-cad.
The batteries all went toes up, the tools are fine.

So, I bought a drill, and something else to get the lithium batteries that come with them (cheaper then buying batteries)

Last weekend i need a drill, every battery but one is stone dead. Even one i left in the "wont overcharge and kill the battery charger"......

Your first mistake - buying Craftsman.

Sorry - can't miss a chance to bash Sears, and especially Craftsman power tools. wink

I haven't cared so much for the Makita tools I've had. Same for the Ryobi. They've been okay and reliable - but have had minor chronic irritations that I thought were not really excusable. Buying new, I'd still go for Milwaukee or DeWalt for most stuff (love PC routers though). But I have a Porter Cable cordless drill/screw gun that has been the bomb. Bought that for a song at an estate sale a few years ago and it has been going like gangbusters ever since with almost daily use.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always used Bosch with good results. We used them in our woodworking shop. I have the 18 volt lithium now, started out with the 7.2 volt cordless back in the '80's.

I have noticed that the chucks don't hold as well as they used to so I don't know if the quality is suffering or what. Also, the last impact I got didn't even have a bit holder on it, pretty disappointed in that as they are pretty handy.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
My old cordless drill is almost kaput. Batteries only about half charge, chuck won't release last bit I put in and I might want to do something with it other than phillips screws.... smile

Dropped many times, sometimes on concrete, poor thing- only about 12 years old, also. Not a contractor, but I use the crap out of it.

Anyway. what are you guys' recommendations. I'm thinking maybe a kit with driver/drill and compact drill - likely go 20 V. tto, but not a given.

What brand ?- I know Dewalt is pretty much where Nosler Partitions are...

Porter, DeWalt, Ryobi, Milwalkee, Makita???? What else?

Good and bad.

20 volt Dewalt, i'm slowly converting all my power tools over to them but still maintaining a few corded tools, just in case.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 20 volt max from Dewalt is no different than other brands of 18 volt. They are all 20 volt max and 18 volt nominal. They just report it different.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have an oldie but goodie DeWalt 14 volt cordless drill, this is such a badass it won't die. Have built 2 log cabins with this thing.
So I don't know how you can do better than DeWalt. Also have a DeWalt circular saw, great tool. I also have Makita and Milwaukee tools and they are also very good.

Thirty years ago I bought a 1/2 inch Milwaukee right-angle drill, the kind electricians use. I use it with a 1 inch auger bit to drill holes for the electric when building log cabins. Also use it for drilling holes for splices in the logs. This thing gets many hours of usage on a log cabin and I have built 6 log cabins.

Two years ago I was building an addition onto my log cabin, and, one day, my good 'ol Milwaukee gave out. MIght have been the switch.
I took it down to Home Depot in Asheville NC, they don't repair there, they would have to send it down to Atlanta and I would get it back in 3 weeks. But, I needed it right now.
So, I took a deep breath and shelled out $250 for a new Milwaukee drill, looked just like my original except the case was plastic not metal.
Plus, the new drill was not made in Milwaukee. MADE IN CHINA.

Good God. Is nothing sacred? Still, I have to admit, the new drill worked fine, the f/r switch was a little rough to operate, so not quite the quality of the American drill but otherwise the Chink drill worked fine. Need to change the name from Milwaukee to Peking.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sam,
If your drill is 20 years old it's NiCad. The current production NiCad tool batteries being produced aren't very good. They're just not putting any effort into NiCad with the advent of Lithium's. Lithium's are a big step up in convenience and power.

thanks Casey, I did not know that

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Milwaukee and Makita are owned by the same parent company, there is a bit of crossover as far as technology is concerned.

Makita introduced the first commercial cordless drill, and tends to be a half step ahead in others when it comes to batteries and motors--which is the most important parts of cordless drill/drivers. Makita batteries will last longer.

Milwaukee makes very good stuff, the quality of the rest of the tool (besides battery and motor) seems to be a tad better than Makita.

Dewalt is generally a few dollars less, and offered the bang-for-the-buck factor. After suffering a bit during the recession,, Dewalt has come back strong and is offering a lot of new, useful tools currently.

Ryobi isn't bad, the batteries are shorter lived than the above brands.

I really wouldn't mess with Rigid.

Panasonic, Hitachi, and Porter Cable aren't bad, but their cordless tools are a step behind the big three these days.

Pick your favorite color, pick a battery voltage (although I think some of the DeWalt stuff can run either 20v or 18v batteries), and stick with the same brand and battery--it makes life more simple.

The bigger the battery, the heavier the tool.

Couple things: KEEP YOUR BATTERIES CHARGED. It makes them last longer. Don't deplete them and then throw 'em in the corner and let them sit. Don't let them freeze. A fully charged battery doesn't freeze as easily as a depleted battery.

The lithium batteries have a chip in them to communicate with the charger and not allow the lithium batteries to melt down when things go wrong (see Boeing). There is a minimum voltage threshold and if the battery is depleted, freezes, drops the voltage below that minimum threshold, it permanently shuts down the battery. The Makitas have the most sophisticated chip and are the first to shut off the battery--there is no way to undo it, either.

That is some good stuff... THANKS!

I have a bucket full of the Makita 9.6v stuff... they were the best tools going 30 years ago... hate to toss, but like you said... new tech... maybe FleaBay them...

I had no idea 9.6v Makita batteries were only $11 a piece... I may have to rethink the toss.

https://www.vanonbatteries.com/products/2-pack-for-makita-9000-9-6-v-2000mah-ni-cd-battery

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and those dang DeWalt 9096 18V NiCad ones are $16.99! Sure wish I had known that earlier. I am saving the website for Vanon

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
and those dang DeWalt 9096 18V NiCad ones are $16.99! Sure wish I had known that earlier. I am saving the website for Vanon

I bought some Bosch BAT 026 clones a while back from Ebay and they were NOT GOOD... weak after 6 months, so proceed with caution (i.e. buy 1 or 2 and test quality) is my friendly advice.

Regarding chainsaw chains that are super cheap... AND I can vouch for personally... these guys...

http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/...LUME-DISCOUNTS-AS-LOW-AS-1295_p_120.html

Have bought several dozen and always VERY SATISFIED with CS and quality. Just an FYI

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I quit using nicad dewalt 10 yrs ago. Purchased one of those Fat Boy combo multi tool 18v sets about 15 years ago. The dewalt rep told me nicads 18v were only good for about 3500 charges. When I was contacting, used them everyday. Dropped off of ladders onto concrete, rained on in the bed of truck. Pure abuse and neglect. But they were tough at the time.

Stuck with about 6 tools that take 18v. Went and bought one battery just use here at home.

I made the move over to bosch lithium about 5 yrs ago.
Half the weight, mostly satisfied with them.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lowes usually has a christmas deal. A 1/2" drill bosch and charger and 2 18v lithium batts for $99. Marked down from about $179

I was buying those drills just as an incentive to those extra lithium batteries.

Done that 3 years in a row. I got plenty of batts now for drills and sawzall.

I was carrying the sawzall and 3 batts to the woods and using it to trim out shooting lanes for turkey season. Nice and quiet in the state forest, lol

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 76 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,242
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.