Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Basically bump firing.

I have a buddy that sets his Jewell triggers up so light, I can't fire one shot, it's always 2.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One more thing to consider is hammer spring power.

I hope basic designs have changed since I used a single stage trigger in an AR (a Timney circa 2000 IIRC), but one of the problems I had was that in order to get a pull light enough to be an improvement over a smooth GI trigger, the hammer spring had to be so light that I got ignition problems. I didn't notice it until I put it in an AR10 and it refused to light milsurp 308 100% of the time.

What you should do is get one lot of match grade ammo and chronograph a minimum of 10 rounds with the old trigger and then do the same with the new trigger. If there are ignition problems, it will show up as a increased standard deviation in velocity.

Politics is War by Other Means
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Lets hope it works for ya! For all the folks that have commented, that have gone down that road one way or another, I'd have thought some good info was out there for ya.

FWIW I think if you got a drop in single stage trigger, then 1 pound could work but as noted, you'd better be damn careful. IIRC, and I'm not going back to the top, this was a home gun, last thing I want on a home gun is a light trigger.... but that's your business.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Basically bump firing.

Gotcha. Yes, don't want that for my uses.

Originally Posted by Tyrone

I'm not planning to mess with it, at least not at this point.

Originally Posted by rost495
FWIW I think if you got a drop in single stage trigger, then 1 pound could work but as noted, you'd better be damn careful.

Noted! Thank you.

I'll keep studying. Got more shooting to do tomorrow. See what additional input I might get here. Then some time after Christmas I'll stir the info, calculate a bit, and made a decision.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I'm not planning to mess with it, at least not at this point.

My now very old Timney wouldn't light them as it was from the factory with their "light" spring. Just saying, you may not have to mess with it for it to be too light.

IC B2

T
T_O_M Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Does changing the trigger alone change hammer fall? Seems counter-intuitive.

I've experienced that issue on DA revolvers when I had a gunsmith trying for the lightest possible SA pull leave me with a very good SA pull but a DA pull that wouldn't reliably fire the gun. He did it by trimming the hammer spring just a bit too much.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting either TOM doesn't actually have a trigger pull gauge, or it reads really light. That same faulty trigger gauge on some of the good AR triggers we use might read at 1 lb or less too...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does changing the trigger alone change hammer fall? Seems counter-intuitive.

"Changing out the trigger" on an AR is technically just a figure of speech for the purposes of our discussion. When you change an AR trigger, you are in reality replacing the entire fire control group.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
My new shoes arrived yesterday, waiting for the Lefty safety to show up today.

[Linked Image]

Just got this all installed today, very crisp and possibly lighter than I'm comfortable with...the range will tell. It comes with a second spring, for heavier trigger pull.

Very impressed with the LaRue tho

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Yondering

I've got the answer to the Marlin trigger already on the shelf, a Wild West Lever Guns replacement. This one has been in a couple different guns but is homeless. It took my .45-70 guide gun down under a pound with no creep. I kept it when I sold the gun.

Just a guess here, but I'm betting either TOM doesn't actually have a trigger pull gauge, or it reads really light. That same faulty trigger gauge on some of the good AR triggers we use might read at 1 lb or less too...

Could be, but thats way to light for a lever gun or AR, as far as im concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's kinda my point - I suspect his lever gun trigger isn't actually that light either, he just thinks it is; the trigger weights he's talking about are pretty ridiculous for anything but a bench gun. It's probably not that much different than a good 3.5 lb single stage AR trigger, IMO.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's kinda my point - I suspect his lever gun trigger isn't actually that light either, he just thinks it is; the trigger weights he's talking about are pretty ridiculous for anything but a bench gun. It's probably not that much different than a good 3.5 lb single stage AR trigger, IMO.

Yep. I know what you were talking about and agree. There may be something wrong with his trigger pull gauge. You'd also think a guy would know the difference between 1 pound and 3.5 pounds too though, if that were the case. But, if he's had the same trigger pull gauge for a long time, then maybe just maybe he's got it in his mind that it's really 1 pound when it isn't.. Like I said though, if it is really 1 pound, that's far too light for any hunting rifle or AR in my book..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Yep. I know what you were talking about and agree. There may be something wrong with his trigger pull gauge. You'd also think a guy would know the difference between 1 pound and 3.5 pounds too though, if that were the case. But, if he's had the same trigger pull gauge for a long time, then maybe just maybe he's got it in his mind that it's really 1 pound when it isn't.. Like I said though, if it is really 1 pound, that's far too light for any hunting rifle or AR in my book..

If you can't shoot a 3.5 pound trigger well because it's "too heavy", you don't have any business owning a gun.

As for mastering the controls on an AR, everyone of my kids can operate the safety on an AR without dropping the magazine, except the 5 year old, because I haven't started her on AR's yet. They are actually pretty intuitive. The only firearm I can think of that has the safety in a position analogous to the location of the AR's mag release is the FN Five-seveN. If TOM has ten thousand rounds through the 5-7, I could see how he's built up that muscle memory, other wise, I'm at a loss to see how that can't be over come with standard drills.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Story: I coach Juniors in 10M air. We have a kid that's a pretty good shooter, but has hit a plateau in his scores. He's been asking to have his Anschutz trigger adjusted lighter of late. The other coaches had indulged him previously. When he asked me I tried his trigger, and it is at the limit of safe. I advised him I wouldn't take it lower, but I would work with him to evaluate his technique on the SCATT (electronic trainer) and see if there was a technique "opportunity". I suspect there's an element of grabbing or slapping at the trigger when the sights are lined up. This runs counter to what we are teaching (getting the rifle to settle and adding weight gradually until it breaks).

I'm reading between the lines ie " It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions."

I think others have alluded to this nicely, but I'll come out and say it more plainly. It sounds like you have a marksmanship problem. I'm not sure what your "cheats" are (mechanical rest, remote trigger?), but if you have to rely on a lighter trigger than is typically used on an AR, it sounds like you're using light weight as a bandaid to compensate for poor technique (sorry but I think this is your better way forward).

That coupled with your confusion on the safety and mag release make me think you might have a "training" opportunity. Maybe you're not willing or able to put in the time...maybe you're right, the AR is not for you. I can tell you having shot the AR in it's most raw form (stock M16A2 with a burst trigger), and in it's most evolved forms, the AR today delivers great accuracy if you're willing/able to spend the time learning it's specific needs. If you live close to me or are willing to travel, I'd spend some time taking a look at what's going on. ...maybe even a SCATT session.

Good luck finding something that fills your needs safely.

Last edited by ChrisF; 12/16/18.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Story: I coach Juniors in 10M air. We have a kid that's a pretty good shooter, but has hit a plateau in his scores. He's been asking to have his Anschutz trigger adjusted lighter of late. The other coaches had indulged him previously. When he asked me I tried his trigger, and it is at the limit of safe. I advised him I wouldn't take it lower, but I would work with him to evaluate his technique on the SCATT (electronic trainer) and see if there was a technique "opportunity". I suspect there's an element of grabbing or slapping at the trigger when the sights are lined up. This runs counter to what we are teaching (getting the rifle to settle and adding weight gradually until it breaks).

I'm reading between the lines ie " It's got the accuracy .. from a bench with a bit of cheating it'll shoot under half inch with some loads, but I can't do it without the cheats and I can't do the cheats from field positions."

I think others have alluded to this nicely, but I'll come out and say it more plainly. It sounds like you have a marksmanship problem. I'm not sure what your "cheats" are (mechanical rest, remote trigger?), but if you have to rely on a lighter trigger than is typically used on an AR, it sounds like you're using light weight as a bandaid to compensate for poor technique (sorry but I think this is your better way forward).

That coupled with your confusion on the safety and mag release make me think you might have a "training" opportunity. Maybe you're not willing or able to put in the time...maybe you're right, the AR is not for you. I can tell you having shot the AR in it's most raw form (stock M16A2 with a burst trigger), and in it's most evolved forms, the AR today delivers great accuracy if you're willing/able to spend the time learning it's specific needs. If you live close to me or are willing to travel, I'd spend some time taking a look at what's going on. ...maybe even a SCATT session.

Good luck finding something that fills your needs safely.

Chris, im sure the op will appreciate your honest and sincere post. Hell, im shooting a new rifle right now at the range and its raining like a biotch. Reading your post makes me think there are probably a lot of us here that have developed bad habits along the way. I realize that every time i sit down at the bench, i have to consciously make an effort to make sure every shot is pulled off the same way every time. If not, there may be a flyer or 2 in the group. We see that a lot in our 10 shot groups in these challenges we have here. I think shooting the AR rifle with a good 2 stage trigger has helped my shooting overall. No matter what kind of rifle im shooting. Too bad the op doesnt want to expand his shooting skills and give a good 2 stage trigger and the ar platform a chance.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Chris

Thinking it was 91... M1A doubled in the practice match at Perry. Someone, as I had no clue what was going on, dropped emory cloth in there and drug it... never doubled again.

2 weeks at Perry, went from Expert to Master as the card was almost there when we got home.

Finally found a scale... almost 8 pounds... IIRC I either placed in the top 10 in quite a few NRA matches as Expert, or may have even placed top of class. I could google but don't much care.

Point being, you've made a good point!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having shot some with triggers in ounces range, I have found I develop bad habits.
They allow, or even encourage, slapping. And it's not real noticeable, until you shoot
a normal trigger. Then you see the big jerk.
On the trigger.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
no one has said AR Gold?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Having shot some with triggers in ounces range, I have found I develop bad habits.
They allow, or even encourage, slapping. And it's not real noticeable, until you shoot
a normal trigger. Then you see the big jerk.
On the trigger.

Damn, don't start another big stick thread... eek

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe we should call him "Flinch"?

(A politically correct term for "involuntary big jerk")

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,837 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.