Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
All hunters dream of heading out west and pursuing big game in the mountains. I've wanted to head west to chase an elk or speedgoat for a long time but this year the dream finally became reality. Back in July, I found a leftover muzzleloader cow elk tag for New Mexico. Friend of mine lives in Las Cruces and told me If I could get a tag he would show me the ropes.

Several months of buying packs and merino long johns and breaking in boots go by. Working up accurate loads for the old Knight MK-85 that would be capable at 200 yards is mighty tricky with a trajectory of a bowling ball. Talked with Sabotloader some on sights and trajectory and ended up setting up my knight like his with Williams FP and Firesight front. Id dreamed of taking my Sharps after elk. Talked to Sharpsguy on here a good bit about shooting long range with iron sights and where to hold etc. He helped out tremendously. Since I couldn't take the 45/70 I figured id try to make my Knight as close to a 50/90 as possible. The .503 diameter 460gr No Excuses conical slug was pushed by 90gr of Alliant Black MZ with a felt wad in between. Sighted in 4" high at 100 it dropped 20" at 200 and still had enough horsepower to go 14" into a dirtbank. I scribed a mark on the Williams peep at 100 and 200 so that after the target was ranged, a quick adjustment could be made and be ready for business. Sharpsguy's method rocks in that dept. A test on a whitetail doe back in Oct proved the combo worked well.

Rolled out of Sumter SC at 10pm on Dec 5. Made it to MS around 4 am and caught a couple hours sleep in the back seat at a KOA. Drove through MS and LA (stopping to check out Duck Commander headquarters) and through TX stopping in Abilene for the night at another KOA. Arrived in Las Cruces NM about 10am on Friday morning. Jamie(my buddy from NM) and I loaded up his camper and after some maintenance and food/beer run, we headed for the mountains. Forest roads were pretty slick but we managed to get the camper leveled and set up without injury. Propane turned out to not be working on the camper but luckily the Mr Buddies saved the day.

Saturday morning was gameday. All of the gear that had been thought about and researched was thrown in the backpack and the rifle was loaded. Now to find some elk. We didn't make it far and found tracks crossing the road. A little walk revealed an old rub, jumping up a jackrabbit and crossing paths with two other hunters. We spent the rest of the morning road scouting figuring out the landscape and trying to get a game plan. After lunch, we found ourselves on top of a little ridge trying to find some cows in the meadows. Jamie saw a few cows in a meadow roughly 2 miles away. Wind was in our favor so off we went trying to make ground. These elk have been hunted since August and every rubberhead from across the country has ridden up and down these forest roads scouting. Other than the two guys we saw that morning, we didn't see another hunter that ventured off the roads. It took us about an hour to get about 600 yds from them. Then we had to move from small bush to bush to try and close the distance. At this point I started thinking that this might really be about to happen. We finally run out of cover. Range on the cow was right at 290 yds. We had been spotted and with fading light and iron sights, the shot wasn't even an option. If id been toting my 375 H&H the story probably would have ended here.

We backed out, headed the two miles back to the truck and then back to camp. Phone said we had walked 7 miles and climbed 77 floors. Figured my fat butt woulda been hauled out by chopper the first day. Campfire lit, food cooked and beer drank and headed for bed.

Next morning we rode back to the area and looked around. Ran into an older couple on a ranger driving all over looking for elk. Lunch at a little diner down the road and then back to the meadow from the night before. We set up above the meadow with good wind waiting for them to come out so we could move in. Had a better angle of attack this time with a little more cover. Cow comes out and about the time we start to head down, we hear a diesel. Here comes three guys in an f250 right on down the fenceline beside the cow. So we start making our way back to the truck. About halfway back, the f250 pulls up and they ask if we would like a ride. We figured since they ruined our hunt it was the least they could do, and they had cold beer. They said they had 6 or 7 tags to fill and had killed one that morning. Back to camp and same as night before. We definitely ate well. I think that was bacon wrapped grilled quail night.

Next morning we headed to another area that someone had told me about online. Jamie spotted 4 or 5 cows not far from the road. Having a unit wide tag means that if the landowner participates in the program it allows his land to be hunted by the public even though its posted. Problem was that this county didn't list landowners on the county site. Onyx showed we were on private but not who owned it. Signs on cattle guards at both ends of the road had the name of a participating unit wide ranch so to the best of our knowledge we were in the clear. We drive down main road a ways and as we are getting out a rancher pulls up to see if we were ok. We asked if this was "X" ranch and he said yes and we were good to go. So we head to cut these cows off. Crossed the ridge thinking they were on the other side and no go. Figured they had moved off in the 20-30 minutes we spent trying to figure if we were legal or not. So we started back toward the truck through a meadow with some scattered brush. Jumped 2 jackrabbits and we were talking about running beagles when Jamie saw elk on the fenceline. Wind was good and we had some cover so we tried to get close. One cow stuck her head up and ranged at 240. We could see the meadow all around where we last saw them and both fencelines around the thick brush. We figured that they had bedded down in that thick stuff and if they got up we could see which way they went. We eased closer waiting for them to bust us. Closer and closer and stop and glass looking for sign of life. Somehow through the stalk they snuck out and never saw them again. Hard to believe a 400lb animal can disappear in an open field but it happened.

Back to truck, head to Pie Town NM for lunch. Big ol nasty cheeseburger and garlic fries and a piece of New Mexico Apple pie for later. NM apple pie consists of apple, Pinyon Pine nuts and green chili. Sounds nasty but wow.

So we head back to our nightly spot where we had seen elk last two nights within 100yds of each other. This time we got there early and set up under a pinyon pine and waited for them to step out for their nightly feeding. Wind picked up and it got chilly and no elk showed. 2 miles back to truck in the dark and time to cook supper. Whitetail and wild hog backstrap with grilled onions and we heated up the pie in the dutch oven for desert. One last shot the next morning.

Decided to try the ranch where we had seen them the morning before. As Jamie said, its hard to leave elk to go find elk. Sure enough, they were there, 9 of them. Cat and mouse again, we pop up to look and they are feeding farther. Drop back down to keep wind in favor and pop back up and even further. Finally they got the high ground on us and when we stepped out to find them, they saw us and walked over the ridge at if I remember like 400yds. We hauled butt to get around the other side hoping that we didn't spook them but they must have jumped the fence and went the other way. The elk hunt is done.

Head back to pie town for breakfast and coffee then break down camp. Las Cruces by 5 pm, supper and I hit the road at 8. Made it back to Abilene for a 3 hour nap, then I brought it the 17 hours back to SC and got home at 4:30 am Dec 13

It was one heck of a fun time. I knew absolutely nothing about elk hunting or hunting out west and if not for Jamie I probably wouldn't have seen an elk. I got to see some beautiful country and hunt an animal that few easterners ever get a chance to. My out of shape self hiked over 20 miles at 7500-8000 feet and didn't die or need medivac. If you are one of those that has to kill to enjoy a hunt, go pay an outfitter and get it done. I sent some pictures to a buddy and he described it perfectly and I quote " To me killing something anywhere out there is icing on the cake... I have no doubt you enjoyed the cake!" A public land DIY late season muzzleloader tag isn't the easiest to fill but it was the best tasting tag soup I've ever eaten. If any of you have the desire to go west, there is no time like the present. We aren't promised tomorrow.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Phoneman; 12/14/18.
BP-B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Little Pinyon Pine garnish

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Phoneman; 12/14/18.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Herd of antelope.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's addicting, ain't it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by smokepole
It's addicting, ain't it?

Ive always been a die hard duck hunter but this is might mighty fun. We have lots of plans for next year. Just gotta see who draws a tag and where.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Great write up and pics. The first hunt is typically the hardest. You can read and watch all the videos you can, but there's nothing that replaces the real thing for knowledge and experience gained. You either love it or hate it, and for most it's the former. In 22 years of elk hunting, I have yet to find a recipe for success, it's more an understanding of how great these animals are at surviving. Occasionally your bullet with cross paths with one, but for me, it's so much about the experience, the challenge, the respect for these animals.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Great write up and pics. The first hunt is typically the hardest. You can read and watch all the videos you can, but there's nothing that replaces the real thing for knowledge and experience gained. You either love it or hate it, and for most it's the former. In 22 years of elk hunting, I have yet to find a recipe for success, it's more an understanding of how great these animals are at surviving. Occasionally your bullet with cross paths with one, but for me, it's so much about the experience, the challenge, the respect for these animals.

Very much so. I went for the experience and knew that if I connected it would surely be a matter of luck. It almost happened twice. Amazing how those big animals can disappear on you. I have also met a lot of great people through the process that are very helpful to a newbie and its greatly appreciated.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Once it gets in ya, it never leaves you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Great write up and super photos, thanks for sharing them with us.
Keep after them your break will come.... enjoy the journey.

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cool story

A bit of an option on sights, when we were after elk, used 54 cal sidelocks and big no excuses conicals.

I zero'd the gun so that a hold on the bottom of the hair at 100 would hit top of the heart basically. IIRC that put me hold dead on with the post at 150 and top of the back or so at 200... it was much quicker for me to range, and then just hold correctly than other options.

Have fun!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 86 invisible), 2,724 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.