-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone shooting one of the new stainless 1894CST 357 Magnum lever guns?

With the painted stock and cowboy lever loop.

How’s that working out?

A friend has one he wants to sell to me. And I may have to get one for me for Christmas.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nuthin?

John Stark.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dave,

From what I have read on Marlin Owners forum Reming has made some design changes on the internals of the Marlin 1894. For one, the bolt face configeration was changed and not sure what else. For a rifle that has been in production since 1894, I don't understand why this was needed except for "Maybe" to reduce production costs. Since Remington took control of Marlin in 2011 the quality control of Remington made Marlin rifles have been a disaster......but getting better. Would I buy one.....absolutely not? You have to ask yourself WHY your friend wants to sell a relatively new production rifle and a REMLIN made rifle.

If you do buy the rifle replace the plastic magazine follower, The plastic one only lasts me 6 months and once the follower protrudes through the magazine tube you have the classic Marlin JAM. An aluminum magazine follower is available from as an aftermarket part, I just can't remember who.

If you have to scratch a lever action .357 itch.....buy a real Marlin.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I really like the design of the CSBL but understand someone might prefer the threaded barrel on the CST.

I don't know anything about the quality of the current ones. Ask him if he minds you shooting it, buy 200 or so 38's, a few .357's, and spend a while shooting it fast. If there's a problem it should show up in a couple hundred rounds.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Anyone shooting one of the new stainless 1894CST 357 Magnum lever guns?

With the painted stock and cowboy lever loop.

How’s that working out?

A friend has one he wants to sell to me. And I may have to get one for me for Christmas.

A bunch of us are gonna buy 'em,as Giggles Rifles.

Illuminatti's,being a given..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
[quote=David_Walter]A bunch of us are gonna buy 'em,as Giggles Rifles.

Illuminatti's,being a given..................

My son's first rifle was a JM that I got from Tim Sundles (Buffalo Bore), and let go when he got older to get him something more long range. I'm never going to see that rifle again, but have always regretted selling it.

I'm finding that as I get older the things I liked first are the things I still like best.

In a carbine, the 357 is almost a 35 Remington, and that can't be bad down in the trees where we sometimes hunt deer and elk.

John Stark.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I'd buy a 1894 SBL in a second, if they would change the friggin twist rate. 1 in 38" sucks. They did a few guns in a few models with 1 in 20", but never switched over. At least they aren't Microgrooves anymore.

I have a Remlin 1985 SBL, and it shoots probably better than most of my other rifles. When I got it, I did the 15 minute tune up, which was simple. Just a few sharp edges and burrs to smooth, and then I added a Wild West trigger, follower, and ejector. It was made in 2014 I believe.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They'll be handy for Casting & Blasting,in regards to Victims Of Opportunity. Having the Illuminatti's windshield and 60+ Mil erector,only opens windows of opportunity,less any concession(s). The S/S and Laminate construction,are very obviously VASTLY superior to any/all things CM and Living Wood.

A S/S 39 in 17 Hummer,wouldn't suck either.......................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

...... The S/S and Laminate construction,are very obviously VASTLY superior to any/all things CM and Living Wood.

Noticed earlier that the CST is "painted hardwood"....while the CSBL is laminate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would under no circumstances buy a Remlin when there are perfectly good used Marlins to be had out there. I know people say that the quality is improving and you might get lucky and get a keeper, but every time I handle one at a gun shop I just shake my head. Without exception the wood to metal fit has been awful and the action gritty., I have been trying this about twice a year since 2010 and have not handled a keeper yet.

Last edited by TnBigBore; 12/13/18.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

...... The S/S and Laminate construction,are very obviously VASTLY superior to any/all things CM and Living Wood.

Noticed earlier that the CST is "painted hardwood"....while the CSBL is laminate.

CSBL,appeals most to me and those who are mulling same...............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.