-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My kids like that show Forged in Fire and wanted to make some knives. I made a crude little propane forge to heat treat and got to work with my angle grinder, hand files, and sand paper. I just finished up my third knife, first with scales. I can find a hundred things wrong with it but it’s sharp and should gut a deer or break down a caribou without much issue I think. It’s a fun garage hobby that’s pretty cheap to get into for the most part and is a fun thing to do with the boys. At this point I’m just using 1080 as it’s easy to work with, considering my equipment. I probably won’t get much more technical but I’m enjoying it so far! This one is a gift to my dads best friend for him helping my dad so much (dads got Parkinson’s) and getting us on some deer on our trip back East this fall.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good looking knife.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You did good. How was your heat treat process? Did you temper after your heat treat?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a real good looking knife you made. This knife thing ,can be whatever you want it to be. So if you enjoy doing it your way and what you want to do,then do just that. You'll enjoy it. But be careful,lol,'cause just like the enthusiasts ( collectors etc) on one side of the fence will tell ,just the same as knife makers,it's addicting. I know one knife maker who collects machines,another handle materials,etc,etc. . I enjoy putting maple on factory blades,so I know what you are saying Merry Christmas & Thanks for showing your knife ,hope to see others . - Vince

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Great job!!!! Be careful making knives it can become an addiction!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is tooooo late to warn him. He has made three knives now.
A nice start too, I might add.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Godogs57
You did good. How was your heat treat process? Did you temper after your heat treat?

Thanks guys. I heated up the blade until it reached non magnetic plus another minute or so. Quenched it in 130° canola oil, then two, two hour cycles in the oven at 425° to temper. I’m looking forward to getting a belt sander/grinder here right off.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

Thanks guys. I heated up the blade until it reached non magnetic plus another minute or so. Quenched it in 130° canola oil, then two, two hour cycles in the oven at 425° to temper. I’m looking forward to getting a belt sander/grinder here right off.

1080 is a good forgiving steel during the ht process. For future reference, once it hits critical temp (non-magnetic) you can immediately quench....it needs no soak. Quench needs to be a "fast" quench though...faster than 130 degree canola. You need to get from critical temp to under 900 degrees or so in one second.

Your tempering process was right on.

I'll bet your blade will perform just fine as is. Very good, well thought out design. Go get it bloody.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

1080 is a good forgiving steel during the ht process. For future reference, once it hits critical temp (non-magnetic) you can immediately quench....it needs no soak. Quench needs to be a "fast" quench though...faster than 130 degree canola. You need to get from critical temp to under 900 degrees or so in one second.

I'll bet your blade will perform just fine as is. Very good, well thought out design. Go get it bloody.

Thanks for the tips! Navigating all the info on the internet is interesting to say the least. Lots of knife makers with differing instructions on how to do things makes it kinda tough. I just split the difference! Haha! What would you recommend for a quenching oil for 1080? At this point I don’t plan on using different steels as I don’t have the ability to work with many of them.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Shoot, that looks great!

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Thanks for the tips! Navigating all the info on the internet is interesting to say the least. Lots of knife makers with differing instructions on how to do things makes it kinda tough. I just split the difference! Haha! What would you recommend for a quenching oil for 1080? At this point I don’t plan on using different steels as I don’t have the ability to work with many of them.

Parks 50 is the gold standard of fast quenching oils. Some even use water, but I never will.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.