Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For me the Henry works well. I carry a rifle every day on a four wheeler or a tractor while feeding or just checking the cows. It gets wet, dropped, and bumped around. My safe has a few old Winchesters, a nice marlin or two and some really pretty uberti clones in it that are mostly Saturday afternoon shootin guns. The gun rack by the back door holds three rifles, the steel Henry 41 mag, a 357 marlin and an ar. 223. I find myself grabbing the Henry most often probably because it's scoped, carries well in the hand, and is easy to load and unload with stiff fingers. I will admit the caliber is a favorite and prefer Keith style swc bullets which this gun handles well.
That's a beautiful collection there Shrapnel.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Henry .327 Federal. The only thing I don't like is it is not drilled on the side of the receiver for a Lyman sight.
The Marlin is no longer drilled and Lyman will not make a sight for the AE. RifLes.

The Lyman sight is superior to the Williams sight in that the stem is quickly removable, the elevation scale can be adjusted, marked and replaced easily and you can adjust windage with out tools.

I have an XS sight on a .32 Magnum Marlin but it is nit a good sight for a cast bullet small game hunter.

Slim
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I'm a Marlin guy, but I do have one of the Small Game rifles in .22mag. Too smooth, too slick. Seriously. I like levers because of the personality they have, and the Henrys just don't seem to have it. To me they feel like pot metal with a polyester coating. The Henry works--flawlessly, but it still feels like it was made by Hasbro. I can't stand the "big loop" either, but I can change that. Unfortunately, Marlin 1894s in 22 mag are hard to find and usually priced beyond what I have to spend, so for now, my 22mag lever gun is a Henry.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
The Henry scope base put the scope much too high for me on a 45 Colt carbine. The scope height was not a problem on a 22.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On your carbine, you could buy the Talley integral mount/ring from "Henry Pride" store. It works perfectly on my Henry BB brass .357 with a Weaver 1-3x20mm scope. I believe they go $49.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E

When I had the carbine a couple years ago, I did not find that option. I wish I had. I recently put the Talley's on my Marlin 1895; they are the best solution I have found for keeping the scope low on a lever gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eblake, glad that one worked for you. I'll probably put the same set-up on my .45 Colt, if I scope it. A Henry.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
right now I have 2 marlins and a henry. the henry is a 22 mag and even though the henry may have a slicker and smoother action you are honestly lucky to hit a soda can at fifty yards 4 out of 10 shots. I have tried every weight and brand of ammo made with no luck.

the marlins are tack drivers.

I may own another henry some day but I will darn sure see it shoot first.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what don't you like about a Henry...

Plastic, pot metal, and sprayed on metal finishes...

They are heavier than they need to be, IMO, because they need extra material in their build for basic strength.

The engineering and execution seem to be fairly well done, and they seem to perform to most of their buyers expectations...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
went in to look at 1894 marlins, specifically the 357c model, handled it and looked it over closely. it was on special so I decided I wanted it. after waiting for the paperwork. I asked to see a henry big boy in 357, to me the henry didn't feel as solid. it just had a cheaper feel as I cycled the action. yeah the wood is way better and finished better. I wish marlin would just simply darken the finish a tad, then maybe make the finish deeper. not having the loading gate is kinda of a big deal. you can't really top the gun off like you can with the loading gate. ALSO imo the loading gate is part of the lever gun experience.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Henry .327 federal.
I like being able to sling the rifle upside down and load it with both hands while wearing gloves. Loading gates can be hard on cloth gloves.
What the Henry needs is to be drilled for a receiver sight. Marlin quit drilling the side of the receiver and this was a mistake for them too. Two drilled and tapped holes with plug screws did not cost much.

Slim
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by johnw
So what don't you like about a Henry...

Plastic, pot metal, and sprayed on metal finishes...

They are heavier than they need to be, IMO, because they need extra material in their build for basic strength.

The engineering and execution seem to be fairly well done, and they seem to perform to most of their buyers expectations...

I now have two Henry Big Boys in .41 and neither has plastic, pot metal or sprayed on metal finishes. Really great rifles and well balanced. The best of the current crop of lever guns in my opinion. I would buy another henry centerfire in a heartbeat and am considering a 30-30. Well designed, functional modern lever rifles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rayporter
right now I have 2 marlins and a henry. the henry is a 22 mag and even though the henry may have a slicker and smoother action you are honestly lucky to hit a soda can at fifty yards 4 out of 10 shots. I have tried every weight and brand of ammo made with no luck.

the marlins are tack drivers.

I may own another henry some day but I will darn sure see it shoot first.

I had an octagon barrel 22 Mag briefly and I had more trouble getting that damn thing zeroed, than any other rifle I can remember. Had to drift the rear sight far to the right with the front sight perfectly centered. Their factory sights are pretty coarse anyhow and do not contribute to fine accuracy.

I bought my wife a youth size Golden Boy several years ago, cleaned up the trigger and put a decent set of sights on it. That has been a very slick and accurate little rimfire.

Most all the Henry centerfires just look wrong to me and I personally want a loading gate on a centerfire lever action. They're also pretty expensive for what you get. One of our local shops has had Henry 'brass' 44 Mag and 45-70 rifles sitting idle for several years now while a dozen new & used Marlins, Winchesters and Rossis have sold from the same rack.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The couple I've played with were heavier than a boat anchor.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The weight issue comes up often in the discussion of the Henry. I have not handled many but here is how the .327 Federal compares to the .32 H&R Magnum and .32-20 Marlin rifles.
Our Henry .327 Federal weighs 7.05lb.
The Marlin 1894 in .32 H&R Magnum weighs 7.15lb.
The Marlin 1894CL in .32-20 weighs 6.50lb..

The .327 Henry is 37 1/2" OAL
The .32 Magnum Marlin is 36 3/4" OAL.

The length of pull on the Henry is 14" even
The LOP on the Marlin is 13 3/8" The rifles were measured at full cock as it makes a difference on the Marlin trigger position.

The forearm length measured from receiver to the muzzle end of the forearm tip for the Henry is 7 7/8".
For the Marlin 9 1/8".

The Marlin receiver is shorter. Both rifles come up to the shoulder naturally and the sights position themselves in front of the eye.
The Henry has a slightly longer lever throw.

The checkering on the Henry stock is fine enough to not feel like big coarse humps like the Winchester Model 94AE rifles.
When viewed in pictures the Henry does appear bulky. When viewed side by side the rifle compare favorably.

Slim
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Fondled several Henrys at the RMEF show in Vegas. The more I handle the 16.5" Big Boy Steel (they had a .44 mag at the show), the more I like it.
16.5" Big Boy Steel Carbine weights 6.59lbs. Prolly is heavier than a short barreled '92.
In terms of a 16.5" .45 Colt though, it comes closer to what I want, than anything CURRENTLY produced at anywhere near that price point. At least as far as I can tell.

I would likely swap to a regular lever instead of the big loop and put on a Skinner peep on it.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Looked at a couple a few days ago.
Agree with people who dislike em
Dont disagree with people who do

They just look chintzy to me
Some of the stock lines espically the high combs just dont look right to my eye
The tube feed system .... uh ya......

Too each their own.

Pre safety Marlins and winchesters are where it,s at.
JMO.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only Henry that interests me is the .327 Federal ... 'cause Marlin and Winchester don't offer it. (Wish Ruger would do a rotory magazine bolt action for it.) .327 would be a ton of fun for jackrabbits in the sage. Not to say .357 is bad .. unless you're a jackrabbit. If you are, it sucks to be you!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I won a Henry 22LR Golden Boy large lever last week ,have not shot it yet but its very pretty lever and my 6 year old grand son has already claimed it. dang it I hope he takes care of this Golden Boy ,I told him its his rifle once he passes gun training.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My tablet and my laptop seem to dislike attaching pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Marlin 32 H&R Magnum 1894 and thhe Henry 327 Federaal both load from the magazine tube. The Marlin is a desirable collectors item. The Henry is junk...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Slim
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,615
Posts18,398,454
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.