Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After guiding one hunt this year and then my daughter's hunt my friend and I headed to a general unit. We'd put in as a party with the plan that if we didn't draw we'd hunt general together.

So we hauled some horses and camp over and set up camp the first evening. A wall tent for cooking, eating, and hanging out in and the other for sleeping. Pretty tough outfit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We cut up some wood that night and settled in.

This first morning was several weeks into the season. And there were other guys around. We headed in 5 or 6 miles mostly in the dark and spotted elk pretty quick. That morning we put on quite a few miles on foot. Never could get real close to any elk. We did run into a real nice bear several times. He just kept showing up.

At lunch we were sitting down watching a basin and spotted some elk way off with no way to get there. My friend says "try your bugle." It was hopeless but I didn't think it would hurt. Well I let out a pretty bad call the elk we were watching stood up, then I look right below us and what had been an empty meadow now held elk. I pointed to my friend and he gets ready to shoot, 450 yards down a cliff on a bench that we have never been on. The bull was down pretty quick.

Now we had to figure out how to get there. We managed to work our way down the cliff the whole time wondering how we'd get the horses down here. We ended up finding a pretty nice way on the way back out.

[Linked Image]

We got him packed out the next day and back to camp by noon for a nap and lunch.

That afternoon we decided to go somewhere a little closer for an evening hunt. We spent most of the evening here.

[Linked Image]

With no sightings. We decided to give ourselves some time before dark to allow us some time to hunt our way back out. We were walking our horses down a hill and I happened to take this short video with my phone.

Not much in there except RIGHT after I put my phone away I looked down in the meadow and spotted a bull. The smaller christmas tree in the video in the little meadow at the end of the video is where I shot from. I spun around handed my buddy the lead rope and grabbed my rifle. I was able to shoot prone off my pack. Pretty much my favorite field shot. He was 260 yards. He was quartering away. At the shot he took off and I was able to shoot him once on the run, although that one ended up being a little back. He made it about 100 yards. I shot from up in the trees behind me in this picture. He must have been in those trees somewhere when we went through there several hours earlier.

[Linked Image]

I knew he was broken when I shot. But we were pretty much shooting any legal bull anyway.

Here is the rack at home in my barn.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We gutted him out that night. Finishing up in the dark and it started to rain/snow.

Headed back up in the morning and packed him out.

[Linked Image]

The entire bull is on that horse. She's a draft cross and doesn't seem to bothered by 4 quarters, steaks, and 2/3rds of a rack.

Pretty nice hunt, nice weather really too nice. And it's nice to live in Wyoming.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Congrats on the hunt! That’s the way to get it done!

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!! What calibers??

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A most excellent adventure congrats to both of you!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Nice! I love it.....

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Excellent!!! What calibers??

My friend shots a tikka 300 wsm.

I shoot a 300 winchester with 200 Partitions. M8 6x36.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
great choice!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine hunt.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Looks like you had one heck of a great time! Congratulations and thank you for posting your story...

Public landowner...
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
When you guys who field dress and leave overnight to comeback the next morning to quarter/pack out; is there any issue with the animal being found by bear or other predators and worked over?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to you both on taking a couple nice bulls!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Super cool! Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Ralphie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ewms
When you guys who field dress and leave overnight to comeback the next morning to quarter/pack out; is there any issue with the animal being found by bear or other predators and worked over?

Yes. I was happily surprised we didn't have a bear on either of these elk. I try to get them out the day of the kill, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Looks like a fun hunt

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ewms

I've had that happen twice in the last 10 years with black bears. I look at it as the cost of doing business, didn't lose much meat either time, once because the bear had just got there before me and once because the sow & cub went for the carcass first.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done!! Congrats!

I seriously need to try an elk hunt off of horses. Only used stock for packing, never for riding.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good stuff!

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ralphie is a good hunter, no matter what pointer says behind his back...ha, kidding, well done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.