Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tonight I was tucking in the boy and we snuck down to the basement to “say good night to the hamster” and did some plinking with the red ryder while we were supposed to be in bed. I got to thinking he’ll need a 22 before long.

When I was in high school, a friends dad had a very old and small .22 pump action that really caught my attention. I’ve never forgotten about it. It’d be great pick up a 22 pump but it seems that the only two in production are a Remington (YUCK) and a Henry. The Henry looks good but it’s a rather large and heavy rifle for a 22.

Maybe I should stick to lever action. Sure it’s not as fast, smooth, and familiar as a pump, but there are more options and seems a more stable platform for laying over a bench or backpack.

So...

What other pump 22 options are there besides Henry and gangreen?
Are there fewer pump options because lever has proven to be a superior design? (Maybe I should stick to lever.)
If there aren’t many current production pumps, are there some older production pumps I could look for that won’t wallop the wallet?

Thanks all.

"Pessimism never won any battle." - Dwight Eisenhower
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt

Are there fewer pump options because lever has proven to be a superior design? (Maybe I should stick to lever.)

No, pumps are fine. Much faster than a lever and more versatile ammo-wise than a semi-auto.

In general, pumps are costlier to manufacture than a semi-auto and levers sell at a better profit because of the "cool factor".

Last edited by night_owl; 12/21/18.

abusus non tollit usum
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The Henry is fine, but it has a really stiff action. Probably too stiff for someone upgrading from the Red Ryder. The Rossi/Taurus copy would work. They to be available from time to time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of great, older, Winchester pumps available. Unfortunate you are not considering the Remington 572, I've yet to find a bad one, they are accurate and reliable, with shorts, longs and lr's.
The older Remingtons tend to be a bit more accurate than the Winchesters.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Lots of good pumps mentioned here. The Browning Trombone is one that is quite good. The Remington 572, as fishdog mentioned, is very good and accurate. Others from Marlin, Winchester & Savage are worth your look.

Pump action 22's.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Pump-Acti...24&Sort=13&View=1&ca=5000011

Lever action 22's.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Lever-Act...24&Sort=13&View=1&ca=5000011

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The old Remington, Savage and Winchester pumps were generally well made and are lots of fun to shoot. Watch out for a Visible Loader, they look cool but have a very bad reputation (deservedly so). It will be tough to put a scope on one of the old pumps, though. If you need or want to mount a scope, go with a modern Remington or Henry. Of the old pumps, I like the Remington 12c the best. Mine have never failed to fire and are as accurate as I am with open sights. Some people seem to like the Winchester 61's -- and the prices reflect that demand -- but I did not have good luck with the two that I've owned. You can find a 61 grooved for a scope but expect to pay dearly. I currently own a Remington 12c with original target sights and a scoped Henry; I like them both.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Henry is never going to be a collectible like an older Winchester, Marlin or a Remington. I bought my Winchester M61 at a collector show and it is my favorite rambling around .22. It was drilled and taped it for a low mounted a 3-9 AO Leupold last year on Weaver bases. I grew up shooting a Winchester M62A visible hammer .22, so I suppose it is part nostalgia on my part. The gold trigger Marlin M39A levers are in high demand on the used market and that one would be worth having as well. I'd be shopping the used market instead of the new market if I wanted another .22.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So if I end up with a lever action, I’m looking at the Henry youth model and the Browning micro midas for the kids. Is the browning worth the extra $200?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Henry is a piece of schit.

I prefer a 39 to all other levers,by a goodly margin.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
the Henry have plastic parts and painted. I bought a used one at a great price and the magazine retention spring was a oring and poorly designed geometry at that.

I get a kick out of the brass receiver Henry;s that have a protective sleeve on them at the store... it will be hard to keep metal scratches off them.

Get a marlin 39 or browning.

Don't knock the remington 572 too much, but you may like a rem 121

I like my marlin 39 better than my rem 121 though.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought the Henry youth model for the boys about 14 yrs ago and while it served its purpose I was really disappointed in the sites on it. You could not adjust it enough to shoot to POI . It shot about 3” too high with standard velocity ammo. At that time I posted my issues with it on some of the various sites like this place and found it to be a common problem. That told me they know about it but didn’t care to correct it. Yea it take very little swap out a site on my own but I just hated the fact they(Henry) would sell it that way. The rifle did chamber everything well and was smooth enough especially for the price. I would prefer the pump for your needs if you could find one of the Rossi copies that are out there. Otherwise it won’t be an affordable option unless you get real lucky from someone.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've broken (4) Rossi's. Half each LR and Magnum.

They are Dog Schit................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SlimBlundt
So if I end up with a lever action, I’m looking at the Henry youth model and the Browning micro midas for the kids. Is the browning worth the extra $200?

In my mind, absolutely.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Excellent information here, fellas. Much appreciated and keep it comin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do a 39 and never look back.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Or buy him some Lowers and stand back and watch The Show....................

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've broken (4) Rossi's. Half each LR and Magnum.

They are Dog Schit................

What broke on them if I may ask? I’ve not shot any of them but was hoping maybe they were an affordable option.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
you're going to get what you pay for in these guns.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The Marlin and Winchester levers are both top notch IMO, and a lot of people would agree.
I also think that the little Browning BLR makes for a "Big Three" and has the advantages of being a touch smaller in scale, has a short, smooth & light lever throw and is reasonably priced.
All three shoot very well. All three have steel recievers, not painted zinc or whatever the Henry's are made out of. All three will last generation s with a little care.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You also may want to spend some time in the rimfire lever gun thread, here on the fire. I suspect there is lots of good information there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.