Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I own a VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scope and it does not have the model information on the objective gold ring, or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell. It is a CDS model and I called in to get the dial providing the serial number. No problems getting the dial.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DKim
I own a VX-2 3-9x40mm Leupold scope and it does not have the model information on the objective gold ring, or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell. It is a CDS model and I called in to get the dial providing the serial number. No problems getting the dial.

Yes....same for me too...

Illegitimi non carborundum

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
This thread served two purposes for me. It reminded me that there is a pile of fake Leupolds out in the market and that I really needed to put together a complete inventory of all my scopes. I can now report that I have finally recorded the serial numbers on all of the 16 Leupold rifle scopes that I currently own. Two of these scopes do not have gold ring or stamped model information on the objective tube. So, I plan on calling Beaverton in the near future to make sure I did not make a couple of mistakes along the way. CP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

How well do the fake leupolds compare to the real leupolds?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
My friend put one of the 2-7x33s on a Ruger 10/22, shot a 500 round of bulk pack .22 LR ammo, and reported that he didn't have any problems.

He was going to buy Simmons .22MAG 3-9x32s to put on some Ruger 10/22s that he is planning to give to his grandkids for Christmas, but he decided to go with these slightly more expensive "Leupold" scopes instead.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

My mistake, the series and model stamp can be either in the gold ring or between the gold ring and the front of the objective bell.

I have never owned a genuine Leupold scope that didn't have the series and model stamped into the scope in one of those two places. The stamp is very shallow, not obvious to the touch and, particularly on the matte finished scopes, often difficult to see unless you have the scope and light source at a certain angle from your eyes.

Unfortunately that seems to be no longer true. I have three VX-1's and a VX-2, a Y, two AC's and a AD date codes, three are LR reticles (which I have never seen offered on the Chicom counterfeit scopes) and none of them are stamped with the model anywhere on the objective bell. Not on the gold ring, nor between the gold ring and the objective bell.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Just called on my 2x7, it is legit according to Leupold. It does not have any markings on the objective like the earlier scopes did. Thanks for the heads up sounds like the counterfeits are getting better and more difficult to spot.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

If buying new you could always call and order them straight from Leupold. May pay a little more, but you know what you are getting.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This 3x arrived from Leupold today. It doesn't say Big Bore on the scope like the others did and the side markings are different. Someone down the road will say. "All the 3x Big Bores had it written on the scope and none had that white lettering. Must be counterfeit."

Well some didn't and some did.

Probably because they are discontinuing the 3x and only making them up with what parts are available.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by battue; 12/10/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
One of my buddies was in Hong Kong years ago and bought a half dozen fake Rolex's for the price of a Timex. He gave one to me and one to my brother. Mine ran for about 1 day, my brother's lasted about a year. You get what you pay for.

My wife used to do a fair ammount of business in the Pacific Rim. She bought a fake Rolex for her dad while over there, knowing full well it was a knock off. He's had it for over 20 years and it still runs fine.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I keep telling people that post these they should try them, Its possible they might actually track better than the "real" leupolds.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
^ How true

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As I posted above, I contacted Leupold and provided them the serial numbers of the two scopes I have that do not have gold ring or objective lens markings. The technician was very curious about these scopes and asked me to send him some photos of the power selector, serial number, windage/elevation, and gold ring-which I did. This AM I received the following email:

"After having a chance to review the pictures and serial number, and engineering documents, it appears that this scope is authentic from everything I can see."

Make of this what you want... CP.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I put a counterfeit VX3i 1.75-6x32 on a Remington Model Seven 308, and it tracked and held zero just fine. That was only for one range session though. The eye-box isn't forgiving like Leupolds normally are. The reticle isn't a true duplex, nor a wide duplex. It's in between. The clicks are audible and firm. There is a blemish on the gold ring almost like a machining tool line that put a gouge part way around the ring. The box label had some errors. Matte was spelled Matt. The serial number was below the bar code and is one from a VX-R according to Leupold. The scope didn't come with a Leupold scope cover, just a set of cheap bikini covers. Without the blemish on the gold ring, one can't tell it visually from an authentic item without side-by-side comparison.

Be careful when purchasing a used Leupold or from a non-authorized dealer. Always get the serial number and contact Leupold.

I can see pawn shops buying a bunch of these fakes and putting them on rifles to make the price seem better.

Last edited by Dubiedog; 12/23/18.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It seems like alot of the counterfeit Leupy scopes on Ebay also come with Mil Dot reticles as well. This is something Leupold does not offer standard in the standard VX2 or VX3 lines.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Counterfeit Zeiss out there too.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Motown
It seems like alot of the counterfeit Leupy scopes on Ebay also come with Mil Dot reticles as well. This is something Leupold does not offer standard in the standard VX2 or VX3 lines.

Probably a better scope as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CP
As I posted above, I contacted Leupold and provided them the serial numbers of the two scopes I have that do not have gold ring or objective lens markings. The technician was very curious about these scopes and asked me to send him some photos of the power selector, serial number, windage/elevation, and gold ring-which I did. This AM I received the following email:

"After having a chance to review the pictures and serial number, and engineering documents, it appears that this scope is authentic from everything I can see."

Make of this what you want... CP.

Ha ha..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There are lots of Leupolds made without the gold ring. Go scroll through their website, I counted 4 models then gave up.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Shucks, I thought this was going to be a head-to-head tracking and drop test against a real one!

I will buy all your Leupold "junk" scopes for $50 each.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

609 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,100 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.