Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There are some circumstances where heavier bullets and exit holes make a lot of difference, the ability to penetrate deep, make a wide wound channel and an exit hole mean a lot in thick timber hunting.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Group from my .460 Wby using 95.0 grains of Var-Get with a 500 grain Hornady DGX at 100 yards. Velocity average is 2300 fps.
[Linked Image]

I don't think that's gonna cut it. laugh

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I was glad to have my “minimum” .300 Weatherby this November during my elk hunt. Shot at first light at 225 yards with no time to dink around with rangefinder and shooting stick. Hold center mass and let it rip, bang flop! 168 TTSX did its job. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Where in center mass did the 168 land?

Just curious!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had a boiler room bang flop once. 200 grain Speer 338 Win mag. Big old breeder doe at bout 35 yards. She pulled her legs up and bounced when she hit the ground. Her heart was obliterated. Bang flops generally involve some form of CNS disruption in my experience though.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
many many good elk cartridges to use and it does kinda depend on money,rifle you like and if you can handle reoil. my personal choice for regular elk hunting a 300 win. mag, long range elk hunting my custom 338 lapua but the next guy might like a 30-30 ,243 win. 30-06 whatever many ways to kill a elk,my biggest bull scored 374 B.C. and that was with a drawn bow and arrow. I still prefer a bow over a rifle so in my eyes any centerfire rifle or musket can kill a elk just fine if you know how to shoot well.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by rickt300
The minimum cartridge I would want to use on elk in Wyoming would be a 7x57 or a 7-08. I have seen elk killed with 243 rifles but I have seen elk that got away after being hit with them also. Same with the 25-06. Since I don't have to use the minimum I would use I would take a 270, 7MM RM, 30-06, 300 Win mag, 338 Win mag or a 35 Whelen. I have killed elk with these rifles and would feel comfortable using them again. Were I to hunt Roosevelt elk in western Washington state my minimum would be a light 358 Winchester pushing 250 grain bullets. I guess a 338 Federal would be just as good. My choices are based on personal experience in those two states.

On more than one occasion, I've dug 100gr .243 caliber Nosler Partitions out of Wyoming elk I killed with lager guns, such as the preferred cartridges you describe above. It's not all that difficult to tell who's really hunted Wyoming elk in wild country....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The minimum cartridge I would want to use on elk in Wyoming would be a 7x57 or a 7-08. I have seen elk killed with 243 rifles but I have seen elk that got away after being hit with them also. Same with the 25-06. Since I don't have to use the minimum I would use I would take a 270, 7MM RM, 30-06, 300 Win mag, 338 Win mag or a 35 Whelen. I have killed elk with these rifles and would feel comfortable using them again. Were I to hunt Roosevelt elk in western Washington state my minimum would be a light 358 Winchester pushing 250 grain bullets. I guess a 338 Federal would be just as good. My choices are based on personal experience in those two states.

On more than one occasion, I've dug 100gr .243 caliber Nosler Partitions out of Wyoming elk I killed with lager guns, such as the preferred cartridges you describe above. It's not all that difficult to tell who's really hunted Wyoming elk in wild country....

Just curious, did you dig them out of the ass, or lungs?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Just curious, did you dig them out of the ass, or lungs?

Out of the ass end. That's why you need something big enough to make it to the lungs from the ass end or hard rear quartering shots.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/22/18.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Or dont shoot things in the ass. (That's what she said)

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Where in center mass did the 168 land?

Just curious!

Well, Center Mass might not be the best description. Center crosshair halfway between backline and brisket, BANG! on quick shots at modest ranges. This one landed behind the shoulder and took out both lungs and exited. If I was smart enough to figure it out, I'd post a picture.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Or dont shoot things in the ass. (That's what she said)

Don't turn this into a 270 thread... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Several years ago I killed a bull that had been shot dead center in the guts by another guy packing a 338 win. shooting 225 grain pills. I'm sure he would have sealed the deal eventually, but he was out of ammo from missing shots on two other elk and two follow up shots on this bull. They came and found me since they were out of options. When I found the bull bedded I put one behind his shoulder. When he fled down the 40* slope through burned trees and boulders, I planted one in the back of his head and the bull's suffering was over.

None of the shots I was presented on that day were ideal, yet the little 6.5 x 55 got it done. I might not choose the 6.5 if the task was ass shooting elk, but I choose to not ass shoot elk.

I think far more elk are wounded and lost due to poor ethics, bad choices, and a lack of ability then to insufficient cartridges. As others have mentioned, putting the proper bullet in the proper location is key. I also believe that far more "bullet failures" are a result of bad shooting over shoddy bullet construction.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
The minimum cartridge I would be comfortable with?. A 6,5 Creed or similar using a 130 grain quality bullet at 2700 fps or more. A .300 Savage 150 grain would be fine with me as well.

The two I use the most?. A .30-06 with 180NPT's or a .338 Win Mag with 225 TBBC's has been my choice for several years. Before that it was a .308 Win.

That said, three of my female relatives have been using .243's and 6mm Remingtons for well over 25 years with reliable results.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

"None of the shots I was presented on that day were ideal, yet the little 6.5 x 55 got it done. I might not choose the 6.5 if the task was ass shooting elk, but I choose to not ass shoot elk.

I think far more elk are wounded and lost due to poor ethics, bad choices, and a lack of ability then to insufficient cartridges. As others have mentioned, putting the proper bullet in the proper location is key. I also believe that far more "bullet failures" are a result of bad shooting over shoddy bullet construction."

Pretty much says it all right there!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger

"None of the shots I was presented on that day were ideal, yet the little 6.5 x 55 got it done. I might not choose the 6.5 if the task was ass shooting elk, but I choose to not ass shoot elk.

I think far more elk are wounded and lost due to poor ethics, bad choices, and a lack of ability then to insufficient cartridges. As others have mentioned, putting the proper bullet in the proper location is key. I also believe that far more "bullet failures" are a result of bad shooting over shoddy bullet construction."

I can ethically take more shots with a .338 Win Mag than I can with a .243.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My hunting party has been killing elk in SW Colorado since the 70’s, probably 50-60 head in that time and mostly bulls in the last 20 years. I’ve only ever heard of one elk being hit and not recovered, there haven’t been any since I started going in 2001. The largest cartridge used would be a 30/06 or a 7RM. The vast majority have been killed with the 270WCF. That’s how I figured Boddington was FOS at an early age. He was always blowing about the 270 being too small for elk.

Most of the guys in camp are fond of Partitions though there is no agreement on weight and it hasn’t seemed to matter. The one uncle who is responsible for nearly half of our total is an especially big fan of the 150 NPT at 2750 in his 270 or the 162 Hornady from his 7 mag.

We’ve killed elk from 10 yards to over 500.

I’ve used the the 260, 257 and 270 Weatherbys, and the good old 30/06. Stick a good bullet in the front half and they’re done pretty soon.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TheKid
My hunting party has been killing elk in SW Colorado since the 70’s, probably 50-60 head in that time and mostly bulls in the last 20 years. I’ve only ever heard of one elk being hit and not recovered, there haven’t been any since I started going in 2001. The largest cartridge used would be a 30/06 or a 7RM. The vast majority have been killed with the 270WCF. That’s how I figured Boddington was FOS at an early age. He was always blowing about the 270 being too small for elk.

Most of the guys in camp are fond of Partitions though there is no agreement on weight and it hasn’t seemed to matter. The one uncle who is responsible for nearly half of our total is an especially big fan of the 150 NPT at 2750 in his 270 or the 162 Hornady from his 7 mag.

I’ve used the the 260, 257 and 270 Weatherbys, and the good old 30/06. Stick a good bullet in the front half and they’re done pretty soon.

Enlighten us about the 260 Weatherby you killed elk with....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by TheKid

Enlighten us about the 260 Weatherby you killed elk with....

Whoops. It was just a M7 in 260rem. Punctuation is important.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger

I can ethically take more shots with a .338 Win Mag than I can with a .243.

And you could top 'em all with the .50 BMG.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
84 members (308ld, 10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, batch, 257robertsimp, 12 invisible), 1,576 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,759
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.