Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The general consensus, of myself and those who got a knife from the first run, is that M4 at 63.5 Rc takes and holds a great edge.
Since I started with 3/16" stock, those blades tended to be around .160" thick or more.
This seems a little thick for day to day field work on animals, etc and thinner would make better for slicing and cutting blades.

I contacted Niagara Specialty Metals and they have some .140"-.156" thick M4 in a 24"x36" sheet they are holding for me
to decide if I am going that route.

I would be focusing on various patterns I already make with blades in the 3" to 4" range and .125" thick.
I also will be open to special requests and make a knife to your pattern/request..

Several have asked to be on the next M4 list (if it happens) and I will finalize with them as time is appropriate.
I will try to use all the steel I get in one or two heat treats, so some up front planning/commitment is necessary.

Let me know if interested in being part of this run.
I would prefer to be contacted here and will not be advertising on any other web site at this time.
Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, one of those larger “Buffalo “ skinners would be nice. I don’t believe you have any more of that Camel bone left, but we could discuss materials later. A slightly longer handle would be a plus.

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Tim, one of those larger “Buffalo “ skinners would be nice. I don’t believe you have any more of that Camel bone left, but we could discuss materials later. A slightly longer handle would be a plus.

+1

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
BTW,

A while back while trying to cajole Tim Olt out of a sweet Loveless style blade with musk ox scales

[Linked Image]

which he finally agreed to,

he did send me his "Buffalo Skinner" on loan.

[Linked Image]

Said to "wear it out", and when I got tired of it, send it back.

Well I've been doing my best

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

According to Tim the knife is Forged 52100 steel that has been deferentially heat treated. The handle is Buffalo Horn w/ leather & fiber spacers. The guard is brass. And yes it's a skinner....

[Linked Image]

I'm still trying, but am definitely not tired of it!

One in CPM 154 might be even harder to wear out!

Would not mind trying!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice photos as always... Greatly enjoy your stuff... Have a Merry Christmas!!

Molon Labe
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm in for your next grind. Definitely want two knives for the kitchen. Might be tempted to toss in a skinner of some type as well. I think 0.125" would be perfect...or 0.100" if you decide to go thinner.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd be in for a M4 in a loveless style like what Gee posted...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep us posted please

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Sam
You looking for the blade a bit bigger than the last one you got??? Like the big sister to it that I made at the same time????
A longer handle is for sure. I should not have listened to you.

Josh
You have any idea of the approx size of kitchen knives you are thinking about???? Like width and length overall.

I will do most blades at .125", but I can do some at .100" or so. Just a lot of grinding which I want to have in the plan
from the start.

Thanks
Tim

Sounds like I worked myself into a corner here.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Exactly Tim. Same design, that longer blade, slightly longer handle. 😃

Sam......

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, I am ordering steel today. Crucible CPM REX M4.
I will get enough to have some patterns cut by water jet -- and have some to hand cut out special customs.

I will get a pic of the WJ patterns sometime in the future and maybe Sam can help me with a post of it here.

I have gotten some leads and suggestions on M4 HT, but I think I will stay with Bos HT and 63.5 Rc.
They do a great job (tight QC) and I have been happy with the first blades at that hardness.

I grind blades in batches for HT cost purposes, so if there are special pattern requests I would like them timely.

Most of the blades will be from .125" thick blanks, but I will do a couple smaller blades and maybe the big skinner at approx .105"-.110" thick blanks.

It will be at least a few months before any knives will be finished from this batch.

Good steel, good heat treat, good grind hand work and we should have some great knives.

Thanks
Tim
PS: phone just rang and steel is being shipped today.

Albert Einstein

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I like the thinner skinner. 🤣

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go ahead with the squirrel nutter we discussed.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Go ahead with the squirrel nutter we discussed.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Josh
You have any idea of the approx size of kitchen knives you are thinking about???? Like width and length overall.

I will do most blades at .125", but I can do some at .100" or so. Just a lot of grinding which I want to have in the plan
from the start.

Sorry Tim, been vacationing with the family and just seeing this.

I'd like one to be "chef-sized", probably 6-7" blade, a 4.5-5" handle and probably 2-2.5" deep. The other will be a long paring knife of sorts. Probably 4-5" blade and a 4.5" or so handle. I might have to catch you on the next batch for the third. I will try to get patterns for the two previous described knives in the mail in a day or two.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I will definitely need patterns to follow on those kitchen knives or any special requests.
Probably mid to late Jan when start to work on blade blanks.

I am getting enough steel to do about 3 batches of blades in 2019.
They had a 24" x 36" sheet already cut out.

Some will be cut to a pattern by water jet and I will have some extra steel to do special pattern hand cuts from.
When the extra unassigned material is consumed, just down to pre cut water jet patterns.

All the custom cuts, grinding etc and all assembly will be done by me.
The water jet, heat treat and leather sheaths will be done outside.

Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What are the two that Geedub posted ?

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The one with musk ox scales is a Bob Loveless style drop point hunter with guard. I will be doing some of those.

The black handled skinner is a one of a kind forged blade. I will be doing a couple similar to that
blade with full tang handle also.

Albert Einstein

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Lonely little ol me gonna be golden with this one. smile

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
this is the picture of knife patterns.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.