Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Any suggestion of .45-70 or similar ignores the man's request for a rifle to go 300 yards.

Good point. I missed that when I made my suggestion.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've yet to see a sound rifle chambered in 45-70...excepting a High Wall and/or the ilk.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've yet to see a sound rifle chambered in 45-70...excepting a High Wall and/or the ilk.

Hint................

Whoda' Thunkit!

[Linked Image]

a 45-70

[Linked Image]

in a High Wall!

[Linked Image]

What will they think of next?

But not exactly short, fast or portable!

Quien Sabe??

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/26/18.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MK257
I do have a stainless coated rifle that’s unfired in .300 win mag...I considered lopping the barrel down to 20” and loading 200gr bullets in it for just this occasion..thoughts? Thinking a 200gr partition, tsx, or harder would be disastrous in terms of penetration on chitty angles..

My take is if you have the .300 use it, but it won't be as comfortable to practice with to get proficient enough to make quick snap shots as desired, IMO. Also, not really sure you need to load any special loads other than what you already load. 200's are great in a 300 but if you already have a good 180 load in a good bullet, use it. Bears aren't bullet proof in my experience....

Stick has it right, you don't need tons of horsepower behind the projectile- you just need the right projectile. For your requirements, lots of things would work as long as it's short, shoots heavy bullets for caliber well, and you're comfortable with it.... not necessarily in that order..

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While the High Wall is more sound than a HandiRifle,the 45-70 remains a schit chambering...literally by design.

I've yet to see a sound mounting system,for same.

Hint......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like you're guiding, sir.

A 6.5 or 7 mm would work fine ; but so would a short .300 WM. By all means cut that one, run 200 gr. Barnes 200LRX hard as you can. Practice w interchangeable scope/RDS system & lite loads.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
Sounds like you're guiding, sir.

A 6.5 or 7 mm would work fine ; but so would a short .300 WM. By all means cut that one, run 200 gr. Barnes 200LRX hard as you can. Practice w interchangeable scope/RDS system & lite loads.

The absolute DUMBEST schit,yet "offered". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Cough Silencer,for the win.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
a 20" bolt gun in 308 would suit pretty well, if you really feel the need for a repeater a 7600 cut back to 20" would do pretty well. a decent 180g is plenty for bear. If you want to go a little further from the beaten track a 338 fed, 358 win or 35 whelen would also work pretty well and still get you to 300yds with a touch more bullet weight.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Trombone Remington is THE reddest of flags,save a Self-Shucking version of same.(grin)

The 7-08 schits mightily,on all of 'em.

Hint......................

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If you are looking for 375'ish power in a lighter rifle, find you a 9.3x62. You should be able to find a CZ 550 that will work and get down around your desired weight.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AMAZING,that you Clueless Fhuqks haven't even a first fhuqking inkling,to bullets. Recoil do NOT relate to "results". HINT.

VERY "impressive"!

Congratulations?!?

Wow +P+!..................

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would make a distinction between close work in the brush, and a longer range gun. I have killed a truck load of lions and bears (literally) using a model 94 30 30. It is light,easy to carry, and open sights are best in tight confines. Two examples. A big black bear that was up a tree, decided he didn't like us, or the tree any more. He was mad, and came down fast. I hit him 3 times on the way down, killing him as he reached the bottom. Had a lion that had killed some goats. Turned out he was hiding under a shed that was on skids. When I made eye contact with him, he came directly at me. I shot him in the face at 3 steps, as he came out from underneath the shed. Would have been tough to do with a scope. Open sights rein supreme for this type of work, and a nice 30 caliber bullet doesn't hurt either. When doing grizzly work I prefer a shotgun. They are tough to beat as well. A note, this was the only lion out of dozens that was really agressive, with the intent of chewing on me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Irons are ALWAYS slower than a dot. Hint. "Reign" is a "tricky" word.

Never have a killed a Black Bear over 7' squared,closer than 7'...and we's nose to nose on Billy Goat Rocks. Hint.

Ruger 77 Tang 25 Twat-six and Reupold 3.5-10x. I was using (1) hand to hang on,the other to shoot and neither blinker had a sight picture through said glass.

Hint.

A certain External Framed Pack,bears the brunt,of the falling mass.

Pun be intended...............

MK257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, not reinventing anything here, this is merely just “add something” to the safe with intent for a certain task type deal.

I’m not worried by any means if what a I have can handle the task...Good stuff though- keep it going.

MK

MK
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Break it down to mechanics,because only from there,can Reality come to fruition.

Hint..................

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dots are very handy, but they require a battery, which may or may not be a big deal. The iron sights always work. They are able to take more punishment too. I am thinking of the many falls I have taken while chasing lions across frozen mountain sides.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cite how "many" dots you've drained batteries upon,or "failed" in your pursuits...I mean besides absofhuqkinglutely ZERO. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I've broken plenty of Irons.

Hint....................

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Actually the battery that we use in the red dot site on our AR to shoot wolves with out of the helicopter went dead a while back. Not sure on the hours of use, but it was dead when we needed it. Doesn't happen much,but batteries are always a factor. That is the only dot that I currently use. It works well for its stated purpose though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If someone doesn't have a reserve battery taped to a sling or lanyard,they are asking for it. That regardless of LRF,Bino LRF,'Dot or anything else(headlamps,flashlights,anemometer,etc.). Hint.

I've had peep inserts fall out,have bent/busted front sight blades and have had whole rear sight assemblies(fixed and adjustable),fall outta their dovetails.

The latest foray and all are Outdoors now,uncovered and have whethered 3"+ of weather,thus far this pass. Hint.

[Linked Image]

Though battery life is only cited,at 40,000hrs.

Hint....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As an aside,it's prudent to gun a system,who's battery can be swapped/changed...without loss of zero.

Hint.....................

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 270winchester, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.