-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
2002 Tahoe 5.3, 4wd with locking rear axle option, has 120,000 miles. I bought it new and it's never had a differential leak or rear end noise. Seems I read somewhere the locking rear axle requires some sort of additive? Approximate cost from a dealer or established shop?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think a locking rear requires anything different. Limited slip rear should use gear oil with a LS designation. I recently did my 4runner (front, rear and transfer case) and it was not that hard of a job. Bought synthetic gear oil cheap online. If I had to guess I would say a dealer would charge around 350, maybe more. Call your dealer first then start asking around.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You would need either oil that has that additive added or plain differential oil and the additive.

I had my Tacoma Rear(its differential fluid already has the additive added) ,Front differential, xfer case and 6 speed transmission done for 200 dollars at the Toyota dealer.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I don't think a locking rear requires anything different. Limited slip rear should use gear oil with a LS designation. I recently did my 4runner (front, rear and transfer case) and it was not that hard of a job. Bought synthetic gear oil cheap online. If I had to guess I would say a dealer would charge around 350, maybe more. Call your dealer first then start asking around.

Very close. Dealer charged me $300 for front and rear on a 4 Runner. After looking at the manual it was only recommended for a vehicle used in dusty conditions. Which mine has seen little.

laissez les bons temps rouler
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
If your locking rear axle option is a clutch plate type of diff, you'll need to add the LSD additive. If it's like the newer worm gear type of diff, you don't need to add any LSD additive.

I use synthetic diff fluid in my trucks. Both came with it from the factory. Just had the front and rear diff fluid changed in my new truck, IIRC it was about $200. Had the dealer change it because I have the lifetime powertrain warranty. If anything go's wrong, it's their problem, not mine.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some shops use pneumatic pumps to suck out the oil through the fill hole, while others remove the cover to drain the fluid and clean the internals. There is no way to get all of the fluid and junk out with a pump, but it's probably not an end-of-the-world thing. It may be worth asking which method they use. Independent off-road shops are worth considering.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Some shops use pneumatic pumps to suck out the oil through the fill hole, while others remove the cover to drain the fluid and clean the internals. There is no way to get all of the fluid and junk out with a pump, but it's probably not an end-of-the-world thing. It may be worth asking which method they use. Independent off-road shops are worth considering.

No big deal if they don't get every last drop...the bulk of it and clean the metal shavings on the magnetic plug and it is good. As long as everything is done on the schedule and the proper lube is used that is all that matters.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I paid $149 art the dealer for my F150. Thats with removing the cover.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
$167 on my 98 Dodge Ram this past summer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I do both pumpkins, standard transmission, and transfer case in my Dodge 2500 diesel every two years. It gets a lot of use on the dusty plains and up in the hills in the mud and snow. Cheap and easy to do.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I change drive-train fluids whenever I buy a used vehicle regardless of how many miles are on the clock and every 50K miles thereafter; differentials, transfer case, and transmission. New, clean, fluids are cheap insurance against routine wear and tear. Full synthetic if it is applicable.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Full synthetic and you are good to go, the Tahoe locker has no clutches.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all for the info. Paid $354 for the front & rear differential and transfer case fluid changes. 75w90 synthetic in the differentials and Auto Trak II in the transfer case.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Thanks to all for the info. Paid $354 for the front & rear differential and transfer case fluid changes. 75w90 synthetic in the differentials and Auto Trak II in the transfer case.

Missed it by 4 bucks. grin

You can do it yourself next time for under 100 bucks easy with new washers. BTW, washers should never be reused.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wow, this thread makes me glad that I mostly do my own work. You could do the front and rear and transfer case on most vehicles for $80 an about an hours time.

F
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
F
Pull, flush, inspect.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,666
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.