Print Thread
Hop To
L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
So I bought a Remington Model 11 off of gunbroker knowing that it had been mistreated. Figured for the price I could get it cleaned up and have a decent semi with some history and not be to worried if it gets scratched. Serial # dates it to middle of 1910. I should have took some before pictures because no one believes that it's that old now.

So when it got here, the rust was every bit as bad as I thought in the pictures, I used some "shotgun cleaner", steel wool, and Rem-oil to knock off the worst of it. Anybody got a suggestion on something a little more aggressive that won't take all the bluing off?

Action felt like they had been lubing with syrup, got that all cleaned and running slick.

There is what I believe was a felt pad in the back of the receiver behind the bolt. It's still intact, but cracking full of rust, anyone know how to replace that?

I'm going to turn a new wooden spring alignment pin for the back, should be easy money there.

Need to get on brownell's and look for a locking screw for the rear bolt in the butt stock.

Friction Rings system was not right, and if they put paperwork for that in the forearm way back then, it's long gone.

I'm still working on the mag follower, I can only get it to go up so I can load a shell if the bold release button is depressed. Not sure what's going on there if anyone has any ideas.

Not sure if the butt pad is original, but it and the sling (redhead, chicago IL, not sure if that was a brand before it became BassPros house brand or not) look to be pretty old too.

Curse of being left handed is upside down pictures.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Very nice shotgun! My main bird gun is a 20 gauge model 11 that's been in my family for a few generations. I can't help you with a few of your issues but I can tell you I have always pushed the bolt release button in order to stuff shells in it. If not the follower won't open.

L
LJBass Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
That was my biggest concern. I didn't notice it was like that before I tore it apart for cleaning. Then after I got it back together I thought "My Browning "Magnum Twelve" isn't like that", so I wasn't sure. There is a lot of years in between the 2 though. I just went down in the field to function test, Fed all 3 just fine. Think I'm going to like it.

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
I love mine, finally starting to think of retiring it though so that she's got a little life left for my boys one day. The only time ours has ever failed is when I've tried to release the bolt lightly. Let it slam home and it'll keep going until it's empty. Every time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the quick mechanical adventure of that hesitation syncopation operating cycle. Amazing that it works and amazinger that it seems to work forever.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have my Father's Light Twelve. I've never yet fired it. It was always his special gun, and now it's mine. I need to go bird hunting.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to refinish my Mom's 16ga, mostly I need to extend the stock since it was cut down for her when she was ~10 and my nose is awful close to the receiver but I have never shot it.

I have recenty used the battery charger method to remove rust off some old tools and parts, I will do the same with my Mom's shotgun since it does not remove metal.

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great old gun and I love my 11. Now I need to find a Savage 720. Best of luck!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Love Mdl 11s, mine is a 16 ga someone decades ago put a polychoke on. I just might take it turkey hunting come spring.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
E
E
I am a lefty too. Only the best are!

I think you have a real keeper there. I could have bought a used Rem 11 12 guage for. $65 in 1970, but I could not come up with the $.

BE patient & keep workin at it.

Ed

Ed
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The felt pad in the back of the receiver is a recoil buffer and it was riveted in by the Remington factory. Browning A-5 shotguns do not have that pad. I have a very nice Model 11 but I keep wondering about the condition of that recoil buffer. I don't know how to duplicate the riveting if I try to fix it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kellory
I have my Father's Light Twelve. I've never yet fired it. It was always his special gun, and now it's mine. I need to go bird hunting.

Yes, you do. That Light Twelve will become your best hunting buddy. Broke my 1965 Auto 5 out of its box last year & christened it with Squirrel blood. I am so proud to have placed it into service. It was a long time coming.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
476 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 41 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.