-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Check this out, just purchased this one because I'm a Savage rifle nut- cylinder/modified chokes, double triggers, "99% condition", $305 shipped to my FFL. I'm pretty jacked about it. Interesting conversation piece.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792414415

Last edited by Fireball2; 12/05/18.

LOL
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Very nice! I have not found anything in a Cabela's gun room even close to reasonably priced, though. And I go in fairly often.

If I buy a firearm from the Gun Library, I always make a lower offer. More often than not, they accept.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Very nice! I have not found anything in a Cabela's gun room even close to reasonably priced, though. And I go in fairly often.

If I buy a firearm from the Gun Library, I always make a lower offer. More often than not, they accept.

X2 and I rarely find anything in the gun library close enough for me to visit. How much they will take all depends on how long they have had it and what real market price is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was trying to buy a nice used o/u recently, and every gun I called and gave an offer for was already sold.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by bladesmith1
There are many more American made SxSs than what's been brought up. How about Remingtons, Lefevers, Ithacas, or L.C.Smiths just to name a few. I have Parkers, Lefevers, and a dozen or so Remingtons. They all have double triggers. Buying used doubles is more like a crap shoot if you don't know what to look for. Dangle the barrels with you finger under the under-lug and tap them with a quarter up and down the barrel. Somewhere around the middle it should sound like a bell ringing. This will tell you the ribs are tight against the barrels. See if you can wiggle the barrels up and down or sideways when it's closed. If tight it's "on face." Put a couple of empties in the chambers, close the gun and pull the triggers. Are the trigger pulls ok and did you hear the firing pins hit the empty shells ? Look at the muzzle and see if the barrels are touching. This is a good indication the barrels haven't been cut which would remove the chokes. Not bad if you want a grouse gun and a good bargaining point to lower the cost. Check for cracks around the sidelocks or receiver. L. C. Smiths are known for this. These items should get you around most problems with older doubles. I probably shouldn't say it, but Damascus barrel guns are safe to shoot. All my doubles have Damascus barrels except three 1894 Remington trap guns. I reload and keep the pressures under 9000psi, more for respect for the 100+ year old wood in the stocks than for the barrels. If you're interested, the Parker web site [ www.parkergun.org ] in their reloading forum has many safe loads for the old SxSs. RST and a couple of other shell manufactures also make low pressure loads. Good luck. Paul

Excellent advice!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The Stevens 311's never seemed that heavy or ill handling to me. I have one in 16 gauge choked IC/M . . .

I have my dad's old Steven's 311 in 16 ga M/IC . . . It obviously has sentimental value, and is the first shotgun I ever fired as a young boy. It is still a fine, trouble-free quail/dove/pheasant/duck gun. 16 is the ticket with this shotgun. It is slim, sleek, and relatively light weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I looked for 3+ years off and on for a light, double triggered, 16, mostly looking at Simson and Sauer. I kind of lucked into this one on gunbroker a few months back. 5# 15 ounces of non 2x4ish wand. If I said the price I’d look like a liar.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That's for sure a beauty.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Extremely hard to go wrongon the Simson / J.P. Sauer shotguns. Undervalued classics.
Bang for the buck may be best out there.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.