Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I bought "The Warden" one of the efficient models, when her last went out.
After a little more than a year someone she knows was moving, and had an older model (non-efficient) for sale, so she bought it.
Says she couldn't get my clothes clean in the "efficient" one.
I never realized I was so "dirty" smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
We just bought a Whirpool set about two months ago. Wife did a ton of research. Top loading with no center agitator. Big dryer. The last set we had was a GE Profile set. Worked for twelve years. Had to replace the dryer thermostat about five years ago. Replaced the motor position sensor in the washer about four months ago. Then, the dryer just quit. Wouldn't even turn on. Figured it was either the whole dryer thermostat or the board. I had replaced the thermostat and wan't going to tear the machine down again on the off chance it was the thermostat. If we called repair folks, would have been easily $300 if the thermostat. $600 or more if the board. So, at twelve years old made sense getting a new set.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I have a speed queen in my house. I bought it because the laundromat uses them and they are made in America.
The frontloaders I have seen do not pump out completely. We had commercial ones here at work and they stunk up the whole living quarters. You could work a 12 hour shift and come in sweating and filthy, wash your clothes and they smelled like old mop water that hadn't been changed. We got rid of them after about 6 months.

Okay, it must be a problem with some. Not been our experience here, but answers my question.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Front loader here, for the last 10 years or so. Much preferred by me, but the woman of the house informed me the other day she wants a top loader for the next one.

Sometimes logic just doesn't work. I prefer the front loader because my clothes get spun halfway dry. I prefer to dry mine in the sun (Bunches of dry sunny days here in the high desert), for free, and they smell way better than going in the dryer.

As to the smell issue. Prop the door open a bit when not in use, use a piece of clothing, dish rag, etc that is going in the next load. Easy peasy. Or have a serviceman see why it's not pumping out completely.

I'd have a Speed Queen if we do go top load, assuming we can afford it.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a speed queen top load for about 5 years now.
Flawless.
No computer control to screw up.
No leaking.
GE and LG are crap.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I run gray and black water on different lines.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I'm looking to ditch my 4-year-old LG. It hasn't malfunctioned but has never cleaned well.

Anyone purchased a new one in the last 5 years or so?

I'm looking at a top loader, probably the 5000 or 7000.

Sure did, about 2 years ago and they're bullet proof. New washer and dryer. Made in USA.

All American

All the time
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Front loader here, for the last 10 years or so. Much preferred by me, but the woman of the house informed me the other day she wants a top loader for the next one.

Sometimes logic just doesn't work. I prefer the front loader because my clothes get spun halfway dry. I prefer to dry mine in the sun (Bunches of dry sunny days here in the high desert), for free, and they smell way better than going in the dryer.

As to the smell issue. Prop the door open a bit when not in use, use a piece of clothing, dish rag, etc that is going in the next load. Easy peasy. Or have a serviceman see why it's not pumping out completely.

I'd have a Speed Queen if we do go top load, assuming we can afford it.

Geno

Geno - is it the stooping down that your wife dislikes? That is my wife's only complaint, but she says it's easier on her back than working with a top loader. Our next machine will come with the pedestal/drawer to raise the door. I should get off my ass and make pedestals for our current set, but she ain't whining much about it. wink

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We got the Speed Queen Commercial Duty model about 3 years ago. It replaced an Amana we had since 1993 and looks identical to the Amana other than the color of the control panel. The sheet metal would be interchangeable. The dealer said he puts this washer in laundromats because its so reliable and simple to operate. The thing has never been out of balance with whatever we put in it.

The salesman told us it would use more water but that it would be less expensive to maintain. It uses simple dial timers and controls, not the electronic wizardry that causes about half the service calls.

It seems to be the essence of the Keep It Simple System.

While I was talking to an appliance repair guy the other day about a malfunctioning ice maker in our fridge I mentioned how good this washing machine was working and was wishing for other appliances that would be as dependable as the Speed Queen washer, he said he got the same commercial duty unit we have for his own house.

All that being said, it might fail the next time we use it but I doubt it judging by the performance of it's twin, the Amana unit.

Good Luck!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have had our commercial speed queen washer top loader for 10 plus years with ZERO issues.My friend is in the business that fixes this chit,he told us speed queen hands down.

Last edited by coobie; 12/29/18.
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Left my front loader with a house I sold a few years ago and was glad to be rid of the thing.

Got a Speed Queen "Commercial Heavy Duty" top loader.

Sales lady at the appliance store kept showing me Japanese front loaders with NASA grade electronic controls that I knew I'd never be able to learn even with a manual.

I said "Tell me about Speed Queen." She sighed and said "We can't keep them in stock."

Totally agree with WhiteFawn.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Left my front loader with a house I sold a few years ago and was glad to be rid of the thing.

Got a Speed Queen "Commercial Heavy Duty" top loader.

Sales lady at the appliance store kept showing me Japanese front loaders with NASA grade electronic controls that I knew I'd never be able to learn even with a manual.

I said "Tell me about Speed Queen." She sighed and said "We can't keep them in stock."

Totally agree with WhiteFawn.

Y'know, I am do fear that the makers are in the process of ruining front loaders. Our first was really simple and lasted about 20 years. Could have just repaired it and kept using it, but figured it was time. The one we have now has more electronic controls, but nothing like what they sell now. It's been great (Maytag, BTW), but the I admit new high-tech stuff makes me nervous. OTOH - we bought a new dishwasher with all that a couple years ago and it seems fine. Kind of like cars, I guess - it's a roll of the dice, but generally a good thing?....I hope. It does seem to average out well for us so far, but I would rather keep it simple.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have a Speed Queen washer and dryer. Nothing fancy and to look at it you would think nothing of it. I will say I could put a corpse in the SOB to wash/dry it and it would never bang.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We got a top loading LG about 5 years ago. Was supposed to be the greatest but the damn thing wouldn't stay running and would go off balance all the time. The lock assembly and shaft for the drum broke and the repair would have been around 250 bucks so I threw it out with great glee. I replaced it with a kenmore elite top loader and it cleans better and never goes off balance. A friend is a small appliance repairman and has said speed queen is the best almost bullet proof

living the good life every day
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know you're asking about Speed Queen, but I recently bought washer/dryer myself. Been buying Whirlpool for years because we had a Good Ole Boy Whirlpool dealer for 30 years local . He pretty much has closed up shop, so we looked around. We ended up buying Maytag, American made sticker on front for what that's worth, and really does a great job washing and drying. On Normal Wash option, uses hardly no water at all, about 6" in bottom of tub. I was really skeptical of it cleaning with so little water, but it does a good job. No agitator, an "impeller" made on bottom of tub. Handles clothes a bit more gently. Very quit on spin cycle also , only noise is damn buzzer that comes on at end of drying cycle, it can be turned off but wife likes it. Very impressed so far with quality of workmanship and job it does over the Whirlpools we have been used to. Good luck on your search. We'll buy Maytag again with everything else being equal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Throw every washing machine you have or had and go with Speed Queen. Simply no equal.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by cruzerbotz
We just bought a Whirpool set about two months ago. Wife did a ton of research. Top loading with no center agitator. Big dryer. The last set we had was a GE Profile set. Worked for twelve years. Had to replace the dryer thermostat about five years ago. Replaced the motor position sensor in the washer about four months ago. Then, the dryer just quit. Wouldn't even turn on. Figured it was either the whole dryer thermostat or the board. I had replaced the thermostat and wan't going to tear the machine down again on the off chance it was the thermostat. If we called repair folks, would have been easily $300 if the thermostat. $600 or more if the board. So, at twelve years old made sense getting a new set.

Hmmm, I bought a GE Profile set 13 years ago. Paid $300 for them. No repairs so far. Fingers crossed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Honest question. Why does anyone want a top loader these days?

If its a Speed Queen: because they work, and keep working.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have a Matag front loader washer and dryer. Had both about 14 years. The dryer felt seal is worn and found out the dryer is made by Samsung. Matag made by Samsung? If you overload the front loading washer it doesn't clean well as the clothes won't tumble. Holds less than a good top loader. Oh, the seal can't be replaced according to Matag, have to scrap the dryer. We found on You Tube that you can replace it by hand gluing a new one in (from another brand). Dryer is a gas dryer, otherwise both have never failed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had to buy a new washer this summer. We researched everything pretty well and came to the following conclusion.

Speed Queen made prior to 2018 is probably the best option out there. There are some "issues" with the 2018 models. Enough so that we were afraid to put the money into one.

Our older machine was a store brand made by Maytag that only lasted about 5 years. It was high efficiency and did not clean well. But newer high efficiency machines are supposed to be much better.

We ended up with a Maytag at about 1/2 the cost of Speed Queen. It is HE, but with a deep water setting. It doesn't fill all the way to the top like older machines, but uses enough water to get the clothes clean.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 1,436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.