Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Originally Posted by 86thecat

Long load the 458 Win mag and it will out run the Lott

Why not ream a WM to the Lott and have the best of both worlds if the mag is long enough? CZ550 Safari's definitely have the mag space.

How is that the best of both worlds? Where is the advantage of doing so?

In a CZ550 with a 3.750" magazine, Lott cartridges fill the magazine more completely and so should feed more consistently.
Lighter, shorter bullets are closer to the rifling which should improve accuracy. My CZ is abysmal with shorter bullets, a 350 TSX and many cast are well clear of WM brass before they begin to contact rifling.
Cast bullets should also be more accurate without traversing a wide, long throat and less chance of bullet "stripping" rifling.
A little more powder room will lower peak pressure.
Can still fire WM ammo in a pinch.

Don't see any point in messing with a standard length action but makes good sense to me if the mag is already long.

That same rifle with the long magazine chambered in 458 Win has a longer throat and allows for a longer over all cartridge length thus more powder and higher velocity than a Lott with its shorter throat.

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't change length of the WM throat. Not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
Reaming to Lott over the WM chamber would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load longer OAL and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.
With either brass when long loading, there is the risk of getting the long OAL cartridge into a short chamber. Proper precautions should be observed, the same as for any non-standard ammo.

Last edited by 86thecat; 01/06/19.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't remove all of the WM throat, not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
That would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load out longer and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.
With either brass when long loading, there is the risk of getting the long OAL cartridge into a short chamber. Proper precautions should be observed, the same as for any non-standard ammo.

If you used the .450 Watt reamer then you could use full-length brass, .Lott brass and the WM brass.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Have you tested the pressure on that? Or just relying on your brass? >Yes Just on brass and smooth extraction!! MM no pocket primer problems>> No lock Up!! Enjoy

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Long throated 458 win Mag is very intro!!~ other then a Lott!! very interesting >>set out a Bullet longer MM very intro! then the average !! Rem actions have a lot of room to do this !! I have played with my massive 602 action and the long throat in my 375 but never played with my Custom rem 458 win Mag>>MMM just set the loads to standard specs !?! MM very intro!! the only thing is the brass grip on the bullet??

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Has Anyone have a long throated 458 win mag and been able to bring up to the lott ?? this is not rocket science PEOPLE!! or maybe this thread is going to custom and wildcat forum!?!

Last edited by Ranting; 01/06/19.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you long throat a WM you will have to seat the bullet way out to get more powder in it, then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The 458 Win mag was to do what????? work in a standard 3006 action??? and if you look that 500g bullet is shoved down that brass real good!! but with a bigger action or a longer throat MMM

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine.>>>>No that's real weak thinking!!>>> you can have a 300 weatherby but you can not have a longer 458 win mag in your mag!! NO!! Enjoy

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine. MMM This knock back thing?? I do not understand ???? I have never crimped my 375 H&H hev loads with 300g bullets but I shoot 400g bullets in my 458 win mag with reload , but as I said I do not Know what my throat is on the 458 !! Time To Play!

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I only have one Lott left. If those bad assed squirrels come back I'll be ready.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Remember,only use soft points on squirrels. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
beautiful rifle!,

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I only have one Lott left. If those bad assed squirrels come back I'll be ready.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes Sir! I guess Mr, Ranting can help me with load info.

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Mr, Ranting can help me with load info.>> you people are bastards!!> Someone thinking out of the box>> total put down .

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKuskokid

When you rechamber a WM to Lott, you don't remove all of the WM throat, not saying to set barrel back 1/2 inch and then chamber for the Lott.
That would be your "best of both worlds". Long throat but longer brass to utilize shorter bullets or to load out longer and still have a caliber of bullet seated in the brass.

If you used the .450 Watt reamer then you could use full-length brass, .Lott brass and the WM brass.

Thought reamers are normally ground for 2.850 brass even though drawings show shorter. Good point to double check on tho.
Surprising that full length brass and a little Weatherby throating weren't the SAAMI spec design, would have put the Lott/WM discussion to rest before it began.
What was the 458WM "wildcat" with "Weatherby" throat, to get rid of the funnel throat, 458JRS? May have the wrong initials, but always found that interesting.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yes Sir! I guess Mr, Ranting can help me with load info.

Yes,you're in good hands then. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He's got it all solved

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Ranting
then you can't crimp and you will knock you bullets in while they are sitting in the magazine. MMM This knock back thing?? I do not understand ???? I have never crimped my 375 H&H hev loads with 300g bullets but I shoot 400g bullets in my 458 win mag with reload , but as I said I do not Know what my throat is on the 458 !! Time To Play!

It’s my understanding that this occasionally happened ih Africa with the earlier .458 WM’s......I can guess that it would be more pronounced with higher recoil due to higher velocities. While I “did not” experience “seating the bullet back” in my .375 AI....I did experience “major” flattening of the exposed less tip of the last round in the magazine. Not enough to begin to open the jacket, but the “spire-point” became a “wadcutter”......couldn’t help the BC’s much! smile memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by Ranting

It’s my understanding that this occasionally happened ih Africa with the earlier .458 WM’s......

I had been told (credibility under question though) that one problem with the earlier 458WM ammo was that the powders suitable for it at the time meant that the heavy projectile loads compressed the powder, and vibration during transit caused the projectiles to shift forward out of the case and that sometimes resulted in the round no longer being able to fit in the magazine. Can anyone confirm this?

Sometimes I use 500gn (or even 550gn) projectiles in my 458WM (CZ550) and seat them fairly well out. This means I can't use the crimping groove but it does help with accuracy and avoids having to compress the powder too much (if I use a faster powder than doesn't need compression, accuracy is not so good, even if the projectile is seated out). I've fired off magazines full of these non-crimped loads and have checked the rounds in the bottom of the mag, and the projectiles have never been shifted either way (in or out). I know you can get a Lee factory crimp die that doesn't need a crimping groove, but in my case I don't seem to need it.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I was initially enamored with the Lott (I've had two of them) I can't see any reason re-chambering a perfectly good 458 Win Mag.

Load either one with 350's @ 2400-2500 fps as they are pleasant relatively mild recoil rounds that will handle any NA game at reasonable distances, load up 500's @ 2100+ for the biggest of game.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
770 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 73 invisible), 2,977 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,716
Posts18,400,390
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.