Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
What makes the creedmore so special? For years we've had a plethora of 6.5. Cartridges. I don't see the creed doing anything the 6.5 284 , 260 Rem. 6.5 Sweed , 6.5 Rem. Mag. 264 Win .mag won't do . Am I missing something?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yes,, you are missing something. Exactly what has been explained many times on the Campfire, and elsewhere.

Including how to spell Creedmoor.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
My apologies . I will shut my yap .

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Most of those older rounds were either designed to shoot 160 gr FMJ ammo at very low pressure, or 120 gr hunting bullets. Target shooters started trying to shoot 140-150 gr high BC bullets in them, but found that they had to heavily modify the rifles and shoot non spec hand loads in order to make them work. Magazine boxes wouldn't work and the barrels were twisted wrong. The 6.5 CM was designed to give shooters off the shelf rifles and ammo that would duplicate what was being done with custom rigs. Then hunters discovered that it worked very well for hunting.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Ahhhhhh I see .
Thank you for the very cordial answer sir .

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Clynn,

Sorry I was so abrupt. Here's a more detailed explanation, which I posted a couple days ago elsewhere on the Campfire:

The 6.5 Creedmoor did NOT appear 2-3 years ago, and become popular because of "marketing hype." Instead it was introduced in 2007 as as target round. Then some hunters started using it, and discovered it worked very well, in fact better than already established 6.5mm rounds withe the same basic ballistics.

This was because Hornady made very accurate factory ammo which didn't cost much, and the first factory hunting rifles were very accurate, and not just with handloads but that factory ammo. This is very different than what Remington did with the .260, with it's 1-9 twist and often mediocre factory ammo--that after a few years you couldn't buy (if you could find it) in anything except the 140 Core-Lokt.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is also VERY different than the 6.5x55, because 6.5x55 chambers and actions have varied so widely since 1892 that nobody can make factory ammo that works anywhere nearly as good as 6.5 Creedmoor ammo in various 6.5x55 rifles. This is a major point that many rifle loonies (like you) miss, because they assume EVERYBODY handloads, and probably for a custom rifle, or at least a "tuned" factory rifle.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is VERY accurate in just about any rifle, and there's a wide variety of pretty inexpensive factory ammo available loaded with an incredibly wide variety of both match and hunting bullets. I know all this because of having owned many 6.5 rifles over the years, including several factory and custom .260's and 6.5x55's (as well as a bunch of other 6.5's), plus actually owning, shooting and hunting with several 6.5 Creedmoors. In fact the very first 100-yard group I fired with my first 6.5 Creedmoor, a factory Ruger, back in 2010, was with Hornady factory ammo. It measured around .6 inch--for 5 shots, not the typical three shots most hunters shoot today.

All of this also why the 6.5 Creedmoor has become one of the standard world-wide cartridges chambered in factory rifles, which means not just in America but Europe and elsewhere. One of my friends is a long-time South African professional hunter who also owns a big sporting goods store. He reports that around 80% of the new rifles he sells these days are 6.5 Creedmoors--because they work, whether with factory ammo or handloads.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Best assessment I've seen JB. Thanks. I know I'm a believer, big time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Clynn Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thank you John. Very informative. I was indeed, missing something.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like my Creed, more and more every time I use it.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I like my Creed, more and more every time I use it.. whistle

Cite it.

Laughing.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As usual, JB is largely correct but in this instance has omitted (probably for simplicity) the well developed and already available 6.5x47 Lapua which predates the 6.5 Creedmoor by at least 2 years.

At the best the Creedmoor was a parallel development done in isolation of products made in Europe. At worst there has been much mythologising to get around an almost exact copy of a well designed European cartridge which owes a great deal to the 6x47 Swiss Match by RUAG.

Whichever way you want to twist it, both work very well and can make an average shooter look good. The 6.5 Lap is very much a handloader proposition as factory ammunition is expensive, exquisitely manufactured, but ultimately not very available.

Last edited by Adamjp; 12/30/18.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 264-250 ain't a "copy".

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adamjp
As usual, JB is largely correct but in this instance has omitted (probably for simplicity) the well developed and already available 6.5x47 Lapua which predates the 6.5 Creedmoor by at least 2 years.

At the best the Creedmoor was a parallel development done in isolation of products made in Europe. At worst there has been much mythologising to get around an almost exact copy of a well designed European cartridge which owes a great deal to the 6x47 Swiss Match by RUAG.

Whichever way you want to twist it, both work very well and can make an average shooter look good. The 6.5 Lap is very much a handloader proposition as factory ammunition is expensive, exquisitely manufactured, but ultimately not very available.

Read Mule Deer's post above a couple three more times, then your last sentence a couple three times, and finally ask yourself a couple three times if he omitted it for simplicity's sake.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You will find the 6.5 Creedmoor Happy Hunting Grounds at the end of the Yellow Brick Road. You will find Unicorns & Magic Dragons aplenty. Your magic rifle will kill them with ease as you bask in the rainbow glow emitted from the bullet flight path. They may simply drop dead by just pointing the gun in their direction.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With actual USE..."Magic" abounds.

Even in Texas.

Hint.

Laughing!................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Adamjp

When is the last time you saw a selection of 6.5 x 47 ammo in a sporting goods store? Or a factory rifle chambered in this cartridge on this side of the pond?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It has a cool name too.😎

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I was a .260 fan for many years, way before the Creedmoor was brought out. Remington has screwed themselves several times over the years, ie: 6mm Remington, .260...They just dont seem to get behind their products like Hornady and other manufacturers do. I shot .260 in long range matches for many years and was so invested in the caliber that it took me a long time to finally switch. I got really tired of chasing my brass in these matches. This past year I switched to the Creedmoor due to the low cost of factory rounds and due to the ease of finding quality brass. Although my .260’s are very very accurate, and I can load my .260’s to out perform the 6.5 Creedmoor, I do believe the Creed is a better design and is more inherently accurate. With all of the companies backing the creedmoor there’s no reason for me to continue with my .260’s. Just my assessment.

Godspeed,
Chance

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ChanceD
I was a .260 fan for many years, way before the Creedmoor was brought out. Remington has screwed themselves several times over the years, ie: 6mm Remington, .260...They just dont seem to get behind their products like Hornady and other manufacturers do. I shot .260 in long range matches for many years and was so invested in the caliber that it took me a long time to finally switch. I got really tired of chasing my brass in these matches. This past year I switched to the Creedmoor due to the low cost of factory rounds and due to the ease of finding quality brass. Although my .260’s are very very accurate, and I can load my .260’s to out perform the 6.5 Creedmoor, I do believe the Creed is a better design and is more inherently accurate. With all of the companies backing the creedmoor there’s no reason for me to continue with my .260’s. Just my assessment.

Godspeed,
Chance

I would surely hate that.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Never understood the, "marketing hype" attempted explanation for the Creedmoor's popularity. Sure a lot of piss'n and moaning about it though.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.