Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by smokepole
All outstanding insights. Especially when the OP asked for recommendations on a zero degree bag.

Stuck on stupid huh? You don’t have to agree, my dad always thought i needed 0 degree. 250 nights say otherwise

Sorry, I forgot that what YOU need is the topic of the thread.

Why don't you give the OP credit for knowing what he needs?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
To the O.P. .... another point to consider in your sleeping system, if you are to sleep in cold weather, is the sleeping mattress.

Loft and air trapped is what isolates your body warmth form the exterior. Lying down, your body weight compresses all the loft and you will lose all your body temperature at those compression points.

The typical cell foam or finger thin ultra light air mattress will void the comfort temperature of your sleeping bag. I would suggst looking at something like the EXPED Down Mat.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chamois
To the O.P. .... another point to consider in your sleeping system, if you are to sleep in cold weather, is the sleeping mattress.

Loft and air trapped is what isolates your body warmth form the exterior. Lying down, your body weight compresses all the loft and you will lose all your body temperature at those compression points.

The typical cell foam or finger thin ultra light air mattress will void the comfort temperature of your sleeping bag. I would suggst looking at something like the EXPED Down Mat.

I use an air mattress with an R4 rating. That's not enough when it's real cold but a closed cell pad either under or on top of it takes care of anything I've slept in.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
what temps are you hunting in? I personally have ran a 20 degree bag for years. I have used it down to close to zero, I simply just wear more clothes depending on the temps I expect that night. I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag. My dad always bought me zero degree sleeping bags as a kid and I hated them. I run a cabelas boundary waters large rectanglar down bag, plenty of room, they no longer sell them, but LL bean makes one pretty close to it currently. its light enough to backpack and I have taken it lots of times that way. its also NOT a mummy bag either. kinda a unique combo of light weight and good size. had it for nearly 15 years, its nice knowing my sleeping bag and exactly what I need for a given night.

Yikes...

Why yikes. Under what circumstances have you hunted below zero? I just described in detail exactly how I do it. Big game hunts are done in the west by the middle of November in areas that would see zero or below. I hunt beyond that into the middle of December. Do you even use your gear or are you a couch camper?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, I'm pretty sure he guides from a couch.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A zero deg quilt sidesteps all of these “problems” that are being argued about grin

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Which quilt?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
A zero deg quilt sidesteps all of these “problems” that are being argued about grin

Yes....

I've been using an EE for two years now. Love it. Also use it as a bag liner wall tent camping when it's really cold.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
what temps are you hunting in? I personally have ran a 20 degree bag for years. I have used it down to close to zero, I simply just wear more clothes depending on the temps I expect that night. I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag. My dad always bought me zero degree sleeping bags as a kid and I hated them. I run a cabelas boundary waters large rectanglar down bag, plenty of room, they no longer sell them, but LL bean makes one pretty close to it currently. its light enough to backpack and I have taken it lots of times that way. its also NOT a mummy bag either. kinda a unique combo of light weight and good size. had it for nearly 15 years, its nice knowing my sleeping bag and exactly what I need for a given night.

Yikes...

Why yikes. Under what circumstances have you hunted below zero? I just described in detail exactly how I do it. Big game hunts are done in the west by the middle of November in areas that would see zero or below. I hunt beyond that into the middle of December. Do you even use your gear or are you a couch camper?

Laughing...

Was going to make a comment about you needing to do a sleep system review at the swing set before you can be taken seriously but I won't...

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Which quilt?
Mine is a UGQ XL Bandit. I haven't had it long and the coldest I've used it in was 25F. It's rated 10F and I was more than warm enough at 25. They make them down to 0 and you can get extra fill. It weighs under 3lb. Going wider costs very little more and sure helps with keeping it tucked in. https://ugqoutdoor.com

EE quilts are also very popular but they cost a little more and don't have as many options for size and fill.

― George Orwell

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I own a Wiggys sleeping bag. It’s a -40 I’ve owned for many years. It’s very warm and has lots of room. That being said I would never use it for backpacking. It ways a lot. 8.5 pound or more I believe.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Springcove
I own a Wiggys sleeping bag. It’s a -40 I’ve owned for many years. It’s very warm and has lots of room. That being said I would never use it for backpacking. It ways a lot. 8.5 pound or more I believe.

Several years ago, I invited our minister on a llama pack trip. He showed up with a below 0 bag that rolled up to about 20" thick by 40" long and weighed enough to cripple a Clydesdale. I decided it would be a good idea to loan him an extra 4lb down bag I had.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good decision.

Modern down bags can get you under 3lb for "0" ratings.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yikes...

Laughing...

Was going to make a comment about you needing to do a sleep system review at the swing set before you can be taken seriously but I won't...

GFY, once you have spent 250+ nights in your "sleep system" get back to me. my systems works for 60 degree nights at lake powell, august backpack archery hunts at 12000 feet, october hunts for big game, 50 mile backpack trips to the highest point in utah with the boyscouts. to zero degrees in mid december in nevada. I sleep better than at home in most cases. So keep on making fun of what you know nothing about. you could actually learn something. I asked under what circumstances you are hunting big game at 0 degrees or there abouts. Jordan smith is a canuck so he is an exception, he probably might see below 0, I don't know. if you plan on never adjusting your clothing when you sleep you are going to need a different sleeping bag for every situation I just named.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
[/quote]

[/quote]

Montana's general rifle season runs until the Sunday after Thanksgiving and the shoulder seasons go into February for elk.
I've shot elk at -20 and been elk hunting at quite a bit colder temps. Below zero and deep snow is what I prefer to hunt elk in.
And, yes, I've taken a 25 degree rated bag and slept comfortable at -10, but I wouldn't recommend it as a general practice.

Ed T

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Yikes...

Laughing...

GFY, once you have spent 250+ nights in your "sleep system" get back to me. my systems works for 60 degree nights at lake powell, august backpack archery hunts at 12000 feet, october hunts for big game, 50 mile backpack trips to the highest point in utah with the boyscouts. to zero degrees in mid december in nevada. I sleep better than at home in most cases. So keep on making fun of what you know nothing about. you could actually learn something. I asked under what circumstances you are hunting big game at 0 degrees or there abouts. Jordan smith is a canuck so he is an exception, he probably might see below 0, I don't know. if you plan on never adjusting your clothing when you sleep you are going to need a different sleeping bag for every situation I just named.

So sensitive. Still laughing. I bet you are from Utah. Lots of sensitive folks live there for some reason. You know nothing about me bud. Keep yapping...

Are you a scout master?

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm in smokepole's and EdT's camp all day long.....

I'd rather get hot than have my balls chattering. Been there done that lots of times. Never again. If you want to carry all sorts of crap to sleep in on a giant mountain and carry it all in and bring a bag rated 20 degrees warmer than what you might experience on a backpack hunt because you don't like to get too hot and don't like to stick your leg out while sleeping then go for it. Not good advice for 95 percent of the folks reading I'd say, nor for me. I at times sleep with base layers, etc when needed but to plan to do that on purpose is not planning properly IMO. If it works for you great.

- Greg

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I'm in smokepole's and EdT's camp all day long.....

I'd rather get hot than have my balls chattering. Been there done that lots of times. Never again. If you want to carry all sorts of crap to sleep in on a giant mountain and carry it all in and bring a bag rated 20 degrees warmer than what you might experience on a backpack hunt because you don't like to get too hot and don't like to stick your leg out while sleeping then go for it. Not good advice for 95 percent of the folks reading I'd say, nor for me. I at times sleep with base layers, etc when needed but to plan to do that on purpose is not planning properly IMO. If it works for you great.

s
Add me to this list.

Funny, I bought a WM Lynx over Stuffed last year because I froze my butt off in 2017 with my 5 degree bag.

Way better to carry 8 oz more bag then bust a molar from my teeth chattering.

I spent enough time freezing when
I forced my 20 degree bag because I had no other choice.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 01/22/19.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
BtW my recommendation would be a WM Antelope Microro Fiber.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go Western Mountaineering and go without worries.

Marmot and Mont-Bell would be excellent, as well.

Feathered Friends makes great bags for skinny people. If you or your wife are anything more than “slender,” I’d avoid Fearhered Friends.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 01/22/19.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.