Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW
I'm in smokepole's and EdT's camp all day long.....

You'd be welcome there any time. This whole conversation reminds me of what they say about multiple layers of clothes. If you're too warm, you can always take some off. But if you're wearing everything you've got and you're cold, you're pretty much screwed.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
what temps are you hunting in? I personally have ran a 20 degree bag for years. I have used it down to close to zero, I simply just wear more clothes depending on the temps I expect that night. I hate being hot in a sleeping bag, The whole too hot, stick a leg out, too cold thing drives me nuts. in cold weather I also wear a large beenie that pulls down to my nose that keeps my head and neck warm, kuiu marion 210 bottoms, 210 top, hoodie, even 210 gloves to keep my hands warm if I poke them out at night. IMO this is way way better than trying to use a zero degree bag. My dad always bought me zero degree sleeping bags as a kid and I hated them. I run a cabelas boundary waters large rectanglar down bag, plenty of room, they no longer sell them, but LL bean makes one pretty close to it currently. its light enough to backpack and I have taken it lots of times that way. its also NOT a mummy bag either. kinda a unique combo of light weight and good size. had it for nearly 15 years, its nice knowing my sleeping bag and exactly what I need for a given night.

Yikes...

Why yikes. Under what circumstances have you hunted below zero? I just described in detail exactly how I do it. Big game hunts are done in the west by the middle of November in areas that would see zero or below. I hunt beyond that into the middle of December. Do you even use your gear or are you a couch camper?

Man, you sure pegged GW...I think he even mounted his TV remote to his 7/08. Fug’n Laffin at you 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
EdT nailed it.

I spent a week in a tent on Mount Fairweather. If you know Mount Fairweather, you know there is nothing fair about the weather there. We had a guy basically use Cumminscowboys approach. I will say this he made it out, but I promise you he learned a lesson he would never repeat again. Personally I can't sleep in clothes, I keep them in my bag with me to keep them warm. When I get dressed in the morning I am warm and ready to go.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I'd rather get hot than have my balls chattering. Been there done that lots of times. Never again. If you want to carry all sorts of crap to sleep in on a giant mountain and carry it all in and bring a bag rated 20 degrees warmer than what you might experience on a backpack hunt because you don't like to get too hot and don't like to stick your leg out while sleeping then go for it. Not good advice for 95 percent of the folks reading I'd say, nor for me. I at times sleep with base layers, etc when needed but to plan to do that on purpose is not planning properly IMO. If it works for you great.

thank you very much, you just made my point without even knowing it. if you are worried about your balls chattering indicates you are unfamilar with your "sleep system" Do you even need one or are you too busy sleeping warm inside your camper and riding your side by side around on the mountain. I don't worry about shivering because I know my gear and know exactly what I need and when. I don't carry all sorts of crap with me. quite the opposite, what I suggested is using what I am already using IE clothing and making it a flexible solution for pairing with my sleep system. for crying out loud this is common sense. Why tailor your sleeping bag so its comfortable to sleep naked in? Why not adapt yourself to the sleeping bag? IE wear more clothes that you already have. You have no idea what I am even trying to say do you? not worth arguing with. How many nights have you spent in your exact "sleep system" when you get over 250 get back to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

I'd rather get hot than have my balls chattering. Been there done that lots of times. Never again. If you want to carry all sorts of crap to sleep in on a giant mountain and carry it all in and bring a bag rated 20 degrees warmer than what you might experience on a backpack hunt because you don't like to get too hot and don't like to stick your leg out while sleeping then go for it. Not good advice for 95 percent of the folks reading I'd say, nor for me. I at times sleep with base layers, etc when needed but to plan to do that on purpose is not planning properly IMO. If it works for you great.

thank you very much, you just made my point without even knowing it. if you are worried about your balls chattering indicates you are unfamilar with your "sleep system" Do you even need one or are you too busy sleeping warm inside your camper and riding your side by side around on the mountain. I don't worry about shivering because I know my gear and know exactly what I need and when. I don't carry all sorts of crap with me. quite the opposite, what I suggested is using what I am already using IE clothing and making it a flexible solution for pairing with my sleep system. for crying out loud this is common sense. Why tailor your sleeping bag so its comfortable to sleep naked in? Why not adapt yourself to the sleeping bag? IE wear more clothes that you already have. You have no idea what I am even trying to say do you? not worth arguing with. How many nights have you spent in your exact "sleep system" when you get over 250 get back to me.

Everyone on this thread disagrees with you. Have you ever taken note that basically anyone who knows WTF they are talking about, many whom I've hunted with and conversed with, then there are those on this site at the top of what they do, pretty much do the exact opposite of your "common sense" approaches whether it be gear, optics, rifles, etc? Just some food for thought. This thread is a great example.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Recommendations on a zero degree bag:

"Get a 20-degree bag." LOL.

"

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve decided to rent their bags at the site and use them. However, I’m hedging my bet by bringing a Big Agnes McGinnis 650 down tech bag for momma to use as an insert in case she gets cold.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good luck and post a few details and some photos when you get back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Everyone on this thread disagrees with you. Have you ever taken note that basically anyone who knows WTF they are talking about, many whom I've hunted with and conversed with, then there are those on this site at the top of what they do, pretty much do the exact opposite of your "common sense" approaches whether it be gear, optics, rifles, etc? Just some food for thought. This thread is a great example.

GW
I’m looking for a new bag that will work either in a tent, in my truck, or on the ground in temps down to 15*-20* degrees.

I would like a bag other than a mummy shape, preferring more room at my feet and shoulders for moving and turning inside the bag during the night, an outer bag cover will also be purchased for those hunts that put me on the ground.

Post here or PM me with you thoughts. I ready to buy one now...Thanks! Beav 😎

“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds like you need a quilt Beav.....

Mines an EE 0 degree but there are others....

Or you could go the cumminscowboy route and buy a 50 degree bag, learn your "system" and hope you're fine if the weather gets to 10 degrees when the weatherman at the nearest closest place 6k feet below you and 20 miles away calls for 40 degrees....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m buying a quilt, too. Just not taking it in the trip.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I usually go with advice from those who live life to hunt when seeking information on gear. Not looking for a sleep number system by Ronco.
Simplicity is a proven formula when chasing animals around that can take you away from base camp in a hot second, putting you and a bag on the ground to catch your animal at first light. Thanks...EE 0 degree quilt will be my huckleberry! 😎

“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Greg, when did you buy a side by side? Finally! I may actually hunt with you again. All that hiking was ruining my southern redneck reputation.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I usually go with advice from those who live life to hunt when seeking information on gear. Not looking for a sleep number system by Ronco.
Simplicity is a proven formula when chasing animals around that can take you away from base camp in a hot second, putting you and a bag on the ground to catch your animal at first light. Thanks...EE 0 degree quilt will be my huckleberry! 😎
EE makes good quilts but before you buy one, take a good look at UGQ quilts. They run a bit cheaper and they have more options for size and fill. I'm a side sleeper so I got one 65" wide that really tucks in without leaks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GW, Just ordered up an EE Acomplice Quilt (10* F) to (-12* C) Very nice! Thanks for the lift up 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Greg you got a camper too???? What's this wall tent you were talking about!!! , Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Beaver10
EE makes good quilts but before you buy one, take a good look at UGQ quilts. They run a bit cheaper and they have more options for size and fill. I'm a side sleeper so I got one 65" wide that really tucks in without leaks.

Thanks RC....I looked. The EE Acomplice was exactly what I wanted. I have a lot of military bags that have worked in super cold temps, but the lack of free movement inside the bag caused some rough nights. Could have been the horns I kept thinking about getting on in the morning that contributes to lack of sleep. Grin 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If there's a camper, I'm sleeping in my Speedo!!!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
News Flash....Greg only hunts in the yard. Camo robe with TV remote in the pocket...slippers in GAP Camo and a Red Ryder BB gun. Totally ready to slay! OMG the visual is killing me. 😂🍆😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,313
Posts18,468,282
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.