Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The guides say that’s what me and Mrs. Walter need for Kilimanjaro, so I’m in the buy once cry once mode.

What’s you favorite?

I’m 5’10 and 200 lbs.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
David, you'll probably get more opinions than you need. But in the "buy once and cry once" department I've never slept in anything better than a Western Mountaineering bag. Having owned a couple I find them to fit "snugly" which of course aids in temp rating. Little things that scream attention to detail make me like their bags. No quill feathers, good baffling to keep the insulation where it belongs, zipper air baffle that is very difficult to get stuck in the zipper, excellent ergonomics regarding both the neck and head/face closure systems. WM makes very fine bags.

I don't know anything about climbing Kilimanjaro but assuming it's expected to be a dry climb then no need to go with the Gore outer shell on the WM bag. Very good warmth to weight and bulk ratio.

A dear lady friend of ours climbed K a few years ago. And while she's uncommonly strong and healthy for her age I know if she could do it most anybody can. She said the key to her groups' success was slow and steady acclimation and almost forced hydration. Good luck!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
WM is hard to beat. A good down bag can be a lifetime investment.
A more economical option would be marmot.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Lots of good bags. WM are hard to beat but my favorite would be a Valandre’ Shocking Blue.

Ed T

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
As folks have said lots of good choices. I think most folks can get a lifetime out of a well cared for down bag ( especially if you end up with couple for different applications). You can read about fills and fabrics, but for me sizing is the wild card. Getting something large enough for me and what else is going into the bag is pretty critical.

My first down bag, I got too interested in getting a bag with maximum loft and minimum weight and it ended up as a bag that was not comfortable for 14hr winter nights. If you can find a WM dealer with some stock who will let you lie down in a bag, I think its worth it before you drop the coin.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I ordered a 0 degree quilt from UGQ. It hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on how well it works. However, if you like the idea of a lightweight, compact quilt and leaving the weight and bulk at home, they're highly recommended.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anyone tried the NEMO SONIC? Backpacker rated it an editor's choice.

John Stark.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Agree with NoKnees. Western Moutaineering, microfiber shell. Try a few on.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
David,

I have had a Marmot 15 down bag for at least 10 years. Excellent bag. 2 Years ago bought a Marmot 0 degree bag. Havent used in zero temps but was very comfortable a 9 degrees.

The 15 degree bag has worn well.

IMOP Marmot is a good choice.

Lefty

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I have a MontBell Ultra Stretch that's really nice.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
David,

I have had a Marmot 15 down bag for at least 10 years. Excellent bag. 2 Years ago bought a Marmot 0 degree bag. Havent used in zero temps but was very comfortable a 9 degrees.

The 15 degree bag has worn well.

IMOP Marmot is a good choice.

Lefty

Superb products, high performing.

Rapid loft achieved after unpacking.

I spray the outside of sleeping bags with DWR for added "mist/snow proofing" and keeps them cleaner.

Add a Cocoon Mummy Liner (or equivalent) for 5-8 degrees added warmth factor as well as keeping inside of bag clean.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Western Mountaineering Kodiak.

But I'll admit the price increases the last several years have been huge, double what I paid it seems.

Last edited by Kenneth; 12/31/18.
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
David,

I have a new, never used WM bag for sale if you’re interested.

Thx,

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Feathered Friends is a great option. I picked one up this year and used it at 0 degrees, was comfortable until I had to get out of the bag:) They are based in Seattle and you can lay in the bag to check out fit.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Akbob5,

Please PM me details

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My question would be, what's your plan for future use?

There's no point going to the expense of a WM or FF bag if it will only be used once or twice. There are plenty of quality 0* synthetic bags in the $200 range that will work.

Also, 5'10" / 200lbs... I'd recommend at least a 62" shoulder girth. And 64" will likely be better.

A 0* bag is not a very versatile bag, even with down fill. The backpacking standard is a 15-25* bag for general use, and for very good reason.

One way to get around this limited use would be to get a quality 15* or 20* bag and get a synthetic or down insulated "overbag" to extend its temp range.

I'd also bring a VBL (vapor barrier liner). That will add around 10* comfort to your bag.

A "sleeping system" is a much more sound and versatile way to go than a single use bag.

The most common mistake is to buy "too much bag"... especially on Kilimanjaro, where you'll be going through very distinct and different temp environments (quite warm at base, very cold up high), I'd prefer the versatility of a "system."

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Brad,

That makes sense.

We’re going to look at what we have in the 15-20* range, and already use, and see how to get a few more degrees out of those.

Luckily (?) it’s winter and I can test the system pretty easily where I live.

John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a sound plan David.

Here's a good overbag:

https://www.backcountry.com/the-nor...ehYfN3wIVyx-tBh0yFA55EAYYASABEgKlZ_D_BwE

A couple from a very good Canadian Co. I've dealt with over the years (prices in CDN $):

https://www.mec.ca/en/products/camping-and-hiking/sleeping-bags-and-pads/overbags/c/1407

Sounds like a wonderful trip!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad
What VBL do you like??

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an REI Magma bag, 10* IIRC. This year I was trying some different things and had a Kifaru Woobie along originally for my wife to use while glassing or around camp. Along the lines of a system, we ended up with some unusually cold weather and draped the woobie over the bags and was pleasantly surprised at the difference that made. The woobie was also quite nice to have for glassing!

Edit: for reference, my wife has a Marmot Helium 15* bag and was reasonably comfortable with temps around zero. Also dressed like an Eskimo!

Last edited by prm; 01/02/19.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

637 members (06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 68 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,917
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.