-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Might have, but it was a loooong ways to those balls.

[Linked Image]

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Too bad that was not a real oinker.... That would have been the shot of a life time.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, that shot was impressive. Everyday, after shooting, we would re-paint the steels. All kinds of steels, out to 1000 yds. As a joke, I painted the balls on this steel white. First thing the next morning, Blue said he was going to 'shoot that pig in the balls'. Yeah...right! Bam..... ping, and you see the results. There are several 'pigs' on the range and I dont remember what yardage this one was at. IIRC, the closest pig was at 600 or 800 yds., and I know there is one at 1000 yds. Either one, cold bore, called shot = impressive.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I hunt the intermountain west, not Texas, so maybe things are different but what I have noticed is that:

Bobcats are much harder to call in the north vs Texas. I have no idea why but many serious callers here go years between seeing bobcats, where in Texas they seem to respond to calls "relatively" often. There's plenty of cats here, BTW, but maybe Texas is absolutely over run with them. I dunno.

Bobcats like bird sounds. I have got them in with a rabbit distress, but most I have called came to some sort of a bird distress call.

Bobcats seem to loose interest easy and have a short attention span. Continious calling is better than the normal coyote sequences of call, wait, call, wait, etc. This is where an electronic call is nice.

Decoys help. Even a turkey tail feather tied to a string blowing in the breeze helps. Anything to keep their attention.

Others are right that they come in slowly...stalking and using cover unlike coyotes or fox who often run in to the call. If I suspect a bobcat is in the area or if the country has that look, I will call for a full hour. It has paid off.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
T Inman, You are correct there is a difference between S.Texas and the inter mountian west, when it come to bobcat's responding to a calls, having spent, many years hunting predators in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, and S. Texas, there's more bobcats per sq. mile in S. Texas, with more food , heavy cover, and less hunting pressure, as most of Texas, is private land and not heavely hunted for coyotes and bobcat's. Rio7

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Blue- you use the 105s even on bobcats??

I was thinking of trying 55 grain Ballistic tips.

I am currently using 95 grain tipped match kings at 3220 fps. I can push the 55s to well over 4000, just haven't seen what they will do to a critter!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Here is my only 6mm caliber rifle. I haven't used it enough to come up with a good name yet!

[Linked Image]

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
call 'er 'Truckload'.....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of them fell to an AR-15, just broke out the heavy-hitter for a few stands hoping for one to hang up at 500; never happened. Longest kill is under 200...

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Here is my only 6mm caliber rifle. I haven't used it enough to come up with a good name yet!

[Linked Image]

“Hope4yote” based on you not using it much...Maybe “Slayer” for your AR-15, if you haven’t named it either. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My first real hunt with an AR-15. I am convinced that a suppressed AR in .223 is about as close to perfect as you can get for calling coyotes. I still prefer a shotgun for bobcats and fox.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why a shotgun for kitty’s and fox? I’ve never called in a fox, but several bobs. Mine all hang up on the edge of cover just sitting, looking around like it’s a Sunday after a church social. 17 Rem works nicely for me. The AR platform for varmitting has come along way from the days of hate by hunters and former gun celebrities like Zumbo. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dennis that is one hell'ova load of coyotes,most I have ever called in and killed in 1 day was 11, the most I ever killed in 1 day was 48 from a chopper, also got 1 bobcat from the chopper that day,

I use the 105s for every thing Bloody Mary, is in the jeep 24-7, I'm to lazy to have a load just for coyotes and bobcat's, as i don't save the hide's, I use Bloody Mary to cull deer, elk, axis, aoudad, impala,waterbuck,fallow, pigs, if I know I'm going after Nilgai, gemsbok, wildebeast,kudu I stop by the house and pick up my 300 WBY loaded with 200 grain TSX, but at one time or the other I have killed them all with Bloody Mary, I just have to be carful when and where I shoot.

As for your 6mm I would call it Beauty it looks real good to me. Blue

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Why a shotgun for kitty’s and fox? I’ve never called in a fox, but several bobs. Mine all hang up on the edge of cover just sitting, looking around like it’s a Sunday after a church social. 17 Rem works nicely for me. The AR platform for varmitting has come along way from the days of hate by hunters and former gun celebrities like Zumbo. 😎

Bobcats are typically in thicker cover and shots are less that 75 yards. Nothing is better than a shotgun for this. Foxes are easy to kill and come in close as well. It's a lot easier to hit a running fox with a load of #2s than with a 20 grain bullet from a 17. Also, the 17 is pretty anemic should something bigger like a coyote or lion come in.

I typically take two guns to a stand, a shotgun and a rifle. I have the shotgun ready and the rifle on a bipod or shooting sticks for the coyote that hangs up at 200.

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by RIO7
Dennis that is one hell'ova load of coyotes,most I have ever called in and killed in 1 day was 11, the most I ever killed in 1 day was 48 from a chopper, also got 1 bobcat from the chopper that day,

I use the 105s for every thing Bloody Mary, is in the jeep 24-7, I'm to lazy to have a load just for coyotes and bobcat's, as i don't save the hide's, I use Bloody Mary to cull deer, elk, axis, aoudad, impala,waterbuck,fallow, pigs, if I know I'm going after Nilgai, gemsbok, wildebeast,kudu I stop by the house and pick up my 300 WBY loaded with 200 grain TSX, but at one time or the other I have killed them all with Bloody Mary, I just have to be carful when and where I shoot.

As for your 6mm I would call it Beauty it looks real good to me. Blue

Thanks, Blue. I am going to play around with bullets a little more before I settle on one thing. The 95s shot as good as anything and I can push them to 3200+ so they work good on coyotes. I haven't killed anything with the 105s yet. The Nosler custom 105 and Sierra 107 MK shoot the best so far.

NRA Benefactor Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Dennis, Have never used nosler 105 gr. but shoot a lot of 107 smk long range with good results, with my 6 mm's i try to stay with 105's or above i'm not really looking for speed with the 6 mm but the ability to put down what i shoot, as i have said before most of my shots on predators and big game are inside of 200 yards, my 105 Scenar loads run 3050 fps out of Bloody Mary, and Orange Crush, and i am happy with both for what i do.

We agree on the shotgun and AR-15 for predators and close running shots, I have 3 gun racks in my jeep and that's what i carry, along with my pistol, and a little extra ammo. Use what works for what you do 1/2 the fun is figuring out what you and your rifle likes. Blue

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

Beautiful

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Blue- you use the 105s even on bobcats??

I was thinking of trying 55 grain Ballistic tips.

I am currently using 95 grain tipped match kings at 3220 fps. I can push the 55s to well over 4000, just haven't seen what they will do to a critter!

Dennis, 55's will tear em up pretty bad, they're fast bastards love the sound they make wen they hit meat....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Can't wait to try!!

NRA Benefactor Member

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,221
Posts18,466,442
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.