Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any woods of wisdom or advice for calling TX bobcats. Going on a combo hog/predator calling trip in January.

Arcus Venator
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Be patient. IMO they usually don’t charge the call as often as coyotes. I’ve caught them sneaking in as much as 45 minutes after starting a set. I’ve had several that have crept in and laid down in some nearby cover and waited for a good while before stalking on in.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What he said. They respond radically different than the canines, usually a LOT slower...sometimes don't come the whole way in....sometimes do...you just never know. We cold called one last month in 8 minutes flat...called for 45 minutes on another that we actually saw ahead of time and never got him in range...

Just keep your eyes open, close, and at a distance.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What they said plus I like to use a simple decoy for cats on daytime stands. I don't like them for coyote but they help keep a cats attention. Mine is just a turkey feather on a string but it works with the slightest breaze. I also use less volume than most do.

Texas has great night hunting opportunities and that's the best time to call a cat so take advantage of it if you can. They will come to the call day or night but shining eyes are much easier to see than a camouflaged cat sneaking in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have called in several cats that actually charged the call and one even pounced on it. I've called in a few that stalked the call and the decoy so seriously, that I believe I could have snuck up on them and knocked them in the head. Then, I've called in some that acted as if they were doing me a favor for actually showing up. Also, on a few occasions, I've seen cats come out of heavy cover, and sit there looking and never make an attempt to come any closer.

I do believe a decoy helps, and also I like using a wide variety of calls. There is no night hunting here, and bobcats are pretty scattered and not found everywhere, so my experience with them is not as extensive as those of you who have more opportunities then I do. I think the quickest one responded as soon as I turned on the call, while I've waited close to an hour for others to show up.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have the Inferno but know nothing about the other caller. I like the Inferno would buy it again.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the tips, will let you know how it goes.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have only called in a couple but they were incidental to calling dogs.

I didn't do anything different. They just showed up.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Tooted this one up this morning, look for scat and tracks, hunt the edges of roads and fields thats were they hunt most of the time. Rio7

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nice job, Blue

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks Dennis,Here's one I got this morning. Blue

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I called for 6 hours today specifically for Bobcats- Nada...

NRA Benefactor Member

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dennis, try something other than "Here kitty kitty" grin

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Dennis I have my best luck when I find scat and tracks that are fairly fresh, most of our roads are sand and it's easy to see their tracks when it's damp or firm, if I see tracks going both ways I know I have a cat working the area, I go to where the tracks turn off into the brush and set up where I can see both ways, cats don't play the wind like a coyote so I don't pay much mind to the wind, I plan on sitting at least an hour. some time it takes me a few trys but I usually get them. Blue

Owl, Will try here kitty, kitty next time it might work. Grin.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blue, I think that the orange pee wee would work better. I got one of mine out yesterday and noticed that that package did not include the little tuning rubber or extra reed... frown But, that is okay as I have about 20 of the darn things.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I covered about 20 miles of virgin snow covered roads yesterday. Very little sign of any kind. I guess they were still holed up. Did see a 190+ mule deer.

NRA Benefactor Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
No snow here just cold wet and windy, found another cat this morning while calling coyotes.good sized tom cat.

[Linked Image]

Got a p.m. that wanted to see their bellys, so here's his belly.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good stuff Blue.... I like the way you’ve got those calls set-up with the band about 3/4 of the way up the reed. That’s about as fool-proof as you can run them.

I called in a big mountain bobcat two weeks ago, but couldn’t get a round through the blow-down timber at him. I was using one of our Itsy Bitsy bite style calls at the time.

Thanks for the pics, and for using our calls.

Josh

Here’s a pic of the Itsy Bitsy (far right).... they make sounds no other call can produce.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Went about 1 mile west and called in a big male coyote, he came out about 75 yrds down wind in a fire break, I lip squeaked him and he took a dump and starting walking away, so I shot him in the butt hole, thru him on the jeep he stunk real bad of skunk didn't take his picture.

Moved 1 more mile west started calling this sucker stepped out of the brush and grunted at me so I shot him between the eyes DRT.

[Linked Image]

Rio7

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is how and old man loads a 200# plus boar, with no help. back porch on the jeep was getting full, so I came home. Rio7

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,918 guests, and 1,417 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,759
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.