Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know the Ruger barrels were able to fit Winchester actions and some people put Rem. barrels on Mauser actions. There was a thread about this a while back. Can't find it...can somebody help me locate it? powdr

BP-B2

A
A
I don't know of any barrels from manufacturers that will directly fit another company's actions. I could be wrong but have built custom rifles for 55 years. Any barrel with enough meat at the breech to re-thread can be made to fit on an action with smaller diameter threads. Most of the time some of the chamber would need to be cut away and the barrel re-chambered to set the correct head space. A very few Mauser barrels will fit other Mausers but again headspace is likely going to be a problem. Hope I have been of some help. Happy New Year
Ancient Gun Smith

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ruger 77's will come very close to screwing in and headspacing in a Model 70 push feed and vice versa. Apart from that, any barrel can be put into any action providing the action will handle the chambering. It just requires a little creative adaptation. GD

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rem barrels can only go on Turk or Mex Mausers, as those Mausers have a .98 OD on the thread and cleaning up a Rem barrel will work. 95% of Mausers have a 1.1" OD on the thread, I haven't found another manufacture's barrel that will work on them.
Ruger 77 and Win 70 and Colt Light Rifle are the same thread pitch but will still need work to make them fit (extractor cut and coned breech... will need to be addressed) . Non New Haven, CT Winchesters have a very fine metric pitch - I don't know what it is.
Some other barrels can be made to work. IE: you could take an 03 Springfield barrel, shorten it, turn it and thread it for a Marlin 336 or Win 94 30-30 or a Savage 99 308 or 300 Savage. You could use a Rem 700 barrel from a 308 or 30-06 to make a small ring Mauser barrel in 300 Savage.

What are you looking at doing/trying to do??

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a barrel originally made for a Winchester pushfeed on a Stevens 200,

My .338-06

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have done it many times.

What I do is to cut off the shank if the action I am going to use has a thread well that is about the same size or larger then the barrel. I then turn a new shank and re-thread to the proper pitch and diameter, so it's not any different then starting with any contoured blank. You can also get rid of many chambers that way (not all, but many) and start over with your reamer.

If you are going from large to small (like using a 1917 Enfield barrel to go into a small ring Mauser) you simply turn the shank to the needed diameter and face it off to the correct length. Then thread.

The typical shank on most "take off barrels" is between 5/8" to 1" long, so you loose that much barrel length when you do this. Doesn't matter much with most cartridges but for the hot magnums it's not the best way to go. If someone wanted a 7MM Mag or a 264 Winchester you often benefit from length on those types of cartridges. But all the rest of the work is no different then ordering a blank from Shilen or Douglas. About the same labor, but the take-off can run from free to $40, and that sure helps the hunter who is in a tight spot and strapped for cash. I'll help a guy out when I can.
In every case I have done it I have come up with a totally serviceable rifle, and in about 1/2 the cases the guns shot extremely well, as good as starting with a new barrel.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The new Winchester thread is not metric. It is 1 1/16" x 28tpi. As I said, one can fit any barrel to any action. For instance, I have a FN Mauser which has a barrel from a Winchester Model 70 push-feed on it and uses the original chamber. I have a BSA CF2 with a barrel from a 98 Mauser on it and it uses the original chamber. A Ruger 77 uses a Savage barrel, complete with nut, and is chambered in 30/40 Krag. Another Mauser 98 uses a barrel from a CZ. All of these conversions are easily done by any reasonably competent gunsmith. GD

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks guys, keep those comments and ideas coming. powdr

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
It seems to me that I have encountered custom Arisaka rifles with take off barrels from other manufacturers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Ruger 77MKII In 270 that I would like to rebarrel. Was thinking I could use that barrel on a Turk Mauser and chamber it to 270 Ingwe. (27x57). Shortening it up would clean the throat, and would like to shorten the other end and put it in a Mannlicher stock anyways. Thinking a 6.5-06AI or 6.5-280AI to go one the MKII.

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by greydog
A Ruger 77 uses a Savage barrel, complete with nut, and is chambered in 30/40 Krag. GD

I'd like to have a 30/40 in a bolt gun like the Ruger.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by greydog
The new Winchester thread is not metric. It is 1 1/16" x 28tpi. GD

Thanx GD. I pulled a mildly shot out barrel from a new 70 in 22 wssm. Saw the fine thread and assumed it was metric. I chopped the chamber off and the barrel is now on a 98 and in 220 Swift.

Last edited by Cowboybart; 01/08/19.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Winchester started using that thread on the actions for the wssm cartridges and then began using it on all actions for the wsm cartridges. When the New Haven plant was closed down, all Model 70's were made with the new thread. This eliminated the interrupted thread in the receiver which was causing chamber distortion in the WSM's. I prefer to re-thread all post-64 Model 70's. I stay with 16 tpi but go up to 1 1/16 diameter. GD

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I saw you have put barrels that didn’t belong to mausers on mausers. I saw a kar98a Mauser the other day on gunbroker with a 257 Roberts barrel on it that had been taken off a model 70. Now how did you make your model 70 barrel work on your FN Mauser?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I turned and threaded the Winchester tenon to 15/16x24 tpi. I then made a sleeve to thread onto the new tenon and threaded that to fit the Mauser. The mauser tenon is bigger but shorter than the winchester but the sleeve can be matched to the contour of the barrel and be nearly invisible or you can make the sleeve from a piece of stainless and end up with a contrasting visible ring. GD

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've done it more than a few times.
I've put 3 Rem 700 barrels into Howa/Vanguards. The 1-1/6-16 tpi 700 thread is pretty much cleaned up by cutting to 26mm x 1.5. These were Remington 7-08 barrels that became 280AI's in 2 of the Howa/Vanguards. The other became a 284 Win. You remove the 700 counterbore to do this.
I once put a heavy 700 varmint 243 barrel in a Parker-Hale Mauser as a 6mm Rem. The 700 Varmint and Sendero barrels have lots of shank and therefore more possibilities.
I have yet to do one with a bushing like greydog describes above but I may in the future as I have a new stainless Kimber 84L takeoff in 25-06. These have a very small shank at 1.04". Not much you can put it into other than another 84L or an 84M or a small ring Mauser.

Here's one I did about a year ago. A stainless fluted Savage 22-250 barrel in a Sako AI, now a 221 Fireball. I shortened it by at least 2" which removes the 22-250 chamber. From there it's no different than working with a blank. the OD of the Savage barrel is perfect for the little Sako action. They have a 7/8-16 thread.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by rembo; 10/24/21.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Any idea about the old Browning A-Bolt TPI? I have a Browning I bought in 1991 that I would like to rebarrel, and have a spare Tikka T3 barrel as well as a spare R700 barrel, but I don't know about the match up on any of them.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm just trying to dredge it up from memory here but I think it was 15/16 x20 tpi. I am fairly certain of the diameter but not certain about the thread pitch which could be as fine as 24. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
double

Last edited by greydog; 10/26/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Probably the most "out there" I've seen ... I gave a friend a shot out take off Rem 700 LVSF .22-250 barrel. He did a "bit" smile of work and adapted it to a 10/22 action. It shot well.

I saw one (IMHO) bad combination. Someone, either my grandfather or one of his friends, had fitted a Winchester 71 barrel (.348) to a Win 1886 action and was refinishing the metal and wood. I doubt they had the know how to harden steel .. nor any certainty the steel was good enough to begin with .. so I suspect it was probably a disaster waiting to happen.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks GD.

I don't know what the Tikka/Sako barrels are, but I would love to be able to swap barrels on the old A-Bolt. It is actually wearing a fresh barrel on it now. A buddy's dad had a new .270 Browning with the Boss brake on it, but wanted a 25-06. I ended up with his barrel and had it put on mine. The thing shoots amazingly well, but for kicks I measured it one day and if I recall correctly there is only about 19"s of barrel before the muzzle break.

I was thinking about consolidating cartridges anyways, so if I could make it a 30-06 or .308, using one of the barrels I already have, then that would be great. I just don't know if Browning and Tikkas are compatible (or Remington).

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rembo
I've done it more than a few times.
I've put 3 Rem 700 barrels into Howa/Vanguards. The 1-1/6-16 tpi 700 thread is pretty much cleaned up by cutting to 26mm x 1.5. These were Remington 7-08 barrels that became 280AI's in 2 of the Howa/Vanguards. The other became a 284 Win. You remove the 700 counterbore to do this.
I once put a heavy 700 varmint 243 barrel in a Parker-Hale Mauser as a 6mm Rem. The 700 Varmint and Sendero barrels have lots of shank and therefore more possibilities.
I have yet to do one with a bushing like greydog describes above but I may in the future as I have a new stainless Kimber 84L takeoff in 25-06. These have a very small shank at 1.04". Not much you can put it into other than another 84L or an 84M or a small ring Mauser.

Here's one I did about a year ago. A stainless fluted Savage 22-250 barrel in a Sako AI, now a 221 Fireball. I shortened it by at least 2" which removes the 22-250 chamber. From there it's no different than working with a blank. the OD of the Savage barrel is perfect for the little Sako action. They have a 7/8-16 thread.

Very nicely done, sir! A classic-cool Sako in every respect. cool -Al

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Thanks GD.

I don't know what the Tikka/Sako barrels are, but I would love to be able to swap barrels on the old A-Bolt. It is actually wearing a fresh barrel on it now. A buddy's dad had a new .270 Browning with the Boss brake on it, but wanted a 25-06. I ended up with his barrel and had it put on mine. The thing shoots amazingly well, but for kicks I measured it one day and if I recall correctly there is only about 19"s of barrel before the muzzle break.

I was thinking about consolidating cartridges anyways, so if I could make it a 30-06 or .308, using one of the barrels I already have, then that would be great. I just don't know if Browning and Tikkas are compatible (or Remington).

I did sleeve the tenon on an A-Bolt barrel and put it on a Mauser, several years ago, but I just don't recall what the pitch was. The very first time I repurposed a barrel in this way, about forty years ago, was to install a Weatherby barrel on a 1917 Enfield. Since then, I've re-purposed barrels of all sorts. Springfield to Brno, Brno ZKK to Mauser 98, Steyr Mannlicher to Arisaka, and on and on. I have also sleeved tenons to correct a buggered up thread. Of course, most of these jobs were done when I didn't value my time quite so highly! GD

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (12344mag, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.