Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

has or does anyone use a dot reticle for hunting......I am thinking of using one.

leupold has 3 dot reticles to chose from.....target......large and small.....any thoughts...…….bob

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If you are shooting coyotes, or other small game at distance,a dot reticle may cover em up too much. It makes a difference if you want ffp, or sfp as well. The swfa mil quad reticle uses hash marks instead of dots, which don't cover up as much. Night force has similar reticles as well. I would pick hash marks over dots any day for more precise shooting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They are not so great for hunting, they will "fade" into the animal. I tried one on one of my varmint rifles and even in bright light they are difficult to see against fur, I can't imagine they would work any better on game animals.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

just so I know I am on the same page...…...I am talking about crosshairs that lead to a single dot...…..there is a large and small dot

the large dot is a 1/2 @ 100 yards......if I am reading it right...…...bob

Last edited by BobMt; 12/25/18.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have quite a few 12X Leupold dots I use on PD rifles and love them. I think they are 1/4 minute dots. They are some of my favorites.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 12/25/18. Reason: Changed 1/2 to `1/4
IC B2

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

6mm...….according to the leupold site......large dot 1/2 min...….target 1/8 min.....unless I missed it...doesn't say what the small dot is.

if I change over want to make sure I get the right size...….bob

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobMt

6mm...….according to the leupold site......large dot 1/2 min...….target 1/8 min.....unless I missed it...doesn't say what the small dot is.

if I change over want to make sure I get the right size...….bob

Bob, I am not positive about the dot size. These are all older 12X's and I could be mistaken but I believe that they subtend about 1/4' at 100 yrds. They are small and when I typed 1/2" I really meant to say 1/4".
Wish I could be of more help

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

6mm …….no...a lot of help.....so large dot 1/2...….target is 1/8.....stands to reason the small dot would be 1/4.

so....for a calling rifle....what would be the dot you would pick?......probably going to have 1 scope large....1 scope small to see what I like .
..bob

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My calling rifles are mostly Duplex but have shot quite a few with the dot. I think for coyotes, cats and fox in daylight I'd probably go for the large dot. I'd not select a dot if hunting a night with a spotlight.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
drover has very good comments on the dot... I have them in 5 or 6 scopes, but they are only used for gopher shooting or p.. dog shooting... The duplex perhaps with the Leupold dot work fine... Or the duplex if calling at night or very late or very early...

Molon Labe
IC B3

B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
drover has very good comments on the dot... I have them in 5 or 6 scopes, but they are only used for gopher shooting or p.. dog shooting... The duplex perhaps with the Leupold dot work fine... Or the duplex if calling at night or very late or very early...

wch….it is crosshairs, that go to the dot...…..not just a "floating" dot...….bob

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 1-4X scope I use for calling and I used an identical one on my 458 in Africa. The dot is in a gap in the middle and allows one to hold inside a diamond or box for working up loads and then again for longer range precision shots with only 4Xs. I love it. Mine even illuminates.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I had one on a P Dog rifle and liked a lot . Sighted it so hold the dot under a dog for regular distance and hold the dot on top of the dog at long range .

I believe mine was a Quarter minute and did have the crosshairs leading into the dot . It was on my 223 Cooper that i shot for a time .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought this might help. It is a picture of a 1/8 dot. They are useful for target shooting and when going after small critters. I use one on a 22LR target rifle.

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobMt

just so I know I am on the same page...…...I am talking about crosshairs that lead to a single dot...…..there is a large and small dot

the large dot is a 1/2 @ 100 yards......if I am reading it right...…...bob

They make a large 1/2 and a smaller 1/8 which they designate for target and silhouette. Wouldn't be my first choice for hunting. They can be hard to find in dim light or a cluttered background. They also make a bunch of illuminated ones that may work.

They also make one they call large in their BG scopes that covers around 2 3/4 at 100, which I like for Deer.

Last edited by battue; 12/28/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This may work, but they don't indicate the size.

https://www.leupold.com/reticles/reticle-firedot-4-fine-164

Last edited by battue; 12/28/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have German #4's with a larger dot on a couple of rifles and find it is a really nice reticle for calling coyotes in the thicker stuff (forests and high sage) and still hunting whitetails. A couple als owith illuminated dots, really nice for coastal rainforest, heavily overcast days and first light of the morning, I just hate having to deal with batteries and on off switches on a scope. Most of mine are 1-4 and 1.5-6 scopes.

I do have a couple of larger scopes 6.5-20's with a varmint dot and also like them for targets and varmint at longer range.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BobMt: I use LOTS of scopes with "dot" reticles for my Colony Varmint Hunting.
These are the very fine dots from Leupold and Weaver.
Have never intentionally used them for predator (Fox, Bobcat, Coyote) or Jack Rabbit Hunting - prefer others here.
If you are intending on doing some Colony Varmint (Ground Squirrels, Prairie Dogs & Rock Chucks) Hunting I would recommend you give one a try - the finer the better.
IF... (and you don't say so) you are planning on using your scope for "all around Varminting" then I recommend the Leupold fine Du-Plex type reticle.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For a calling rifle I would get the large.

No question.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
BobMt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B

varmintguy…...calling rifle, if I like it I will change all my scopes to it......just something new.

deflave…….going to get 1 large......1 small...…..target dot is out...……..bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 1973cb450, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.