Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I hear, you.

Checked fit on most of the parts for the new build, MUR upper, Aero lower, nice & snug & I've used that combo before, SLR rail & AGB, Rise SS barrel & BCG, CMC trigger, Seekins safety, etc.

Got some Seeking rings I wanted to use, but think I will need a cantilever mount for the scope I'm likely going to use, so the rings will prolly get stowed. I'll use the rings on a smaller scope later.

MM

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Playing MUR,Harrison spout/bolt,multiple stock,triggers and FF 'tubes.

Am good on 22BR,6BR,224 Grendel,243 Grendel and day old James spout 223 fodder now. Tying hooks,sorting vests,charging batteries,sharpening blades and swilling NyQuil....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That NyQuil schitt will knock your azz out.

Snuggle up next to momma, have some honey & JD, & get some extry sleep.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounding like 15# rain........................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Parts came in, and I have them assembled. I'll be upgrading the handguards, but we'll start from here.

I like the weight and balance.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Parts came in, and I have them assembled. I'll be upgrading the handguards, but we'll start from here.

I like the weight and balance.

[Linked Image]

MM,
I like the heavy 3 prong flash killer. Just right for shooting under night vision.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've never tried one of the prong style devices. I always thought they look nice. This is a Surefire device.

What I'm curious is if they actually help accuracy by dampening barrel harmonics.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Parts kit does include the front sling swivel, I just didn't install it. Might down the road.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saw it off, put the swivel on a float tube.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
That's always an option. And I have considered it.

I have a hard time shaving down the FSB though. I could shave it down easy enough, but I just like the old school FSB.

Right now I'm thinking along the lines of a Daniel Defense Omega 9, two-piece floater. I don't mind knocking the pins out of the FSB to install a one-piece floater, but I kind of like the option of occasionally removing the handguard for cleaning, without having to unpin the FSB.

If I could come to terms with shaving the FSB, I could have it all, except the old school FSB. That FSB is part of the signature look of an AR15, and probably the most durable front sight/gas block option.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't like the sling on the FSB because the barrel walks so much under sling tension.

If you want to keep it that way, you could always rig the sling by wrapping it around the D ring. Called a "poor man's float tube" rigging.

Politics is War by Other Means
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I hear you on the sling tension, but the reality for me is I don't do much sling shooting anymore. I've gone to bipods for front support 99% of the time.

I'll still practice using a hasty sling. The loop-sling.....those days are over for me.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I won't cut anymore FSB's either. I like the pinned gas block and solid sight but I'm not going to pay $300 for a rail that's cut out for a FSB.

Both of mine are carbine gassed Colts and it wouldn't look right but on a mid, I think I'd try cutting out a section on top and let the FSB pop up through the cut out. I've seen a couple of jobs that turned out well.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?128947-Custom-Noveske-14-5s-hacking-up-some-NSRs

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you keep it like it is, Way of the Gun sling is your answer.
https://frankproctorperformancegear.com/frank-proctor-heavy-duty-sling/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
, but I kind of like the option of occasionally removing the handguard for cleaning, without having to unpin the FSB.

If you really want ti keep the FSB & be able to take the HG off w/o unpinning it, these work well..........direct replacement for a traditional plastic handguard. I've used a longer 15" version on a carbine gas gun, but they don't seem to make a similar version for a mid-length system, just this shorter version.

When it's on it every bit as solid as the plastic version.............just not a floated tube & still has those limitations if you can live with that.

MM

Drop in HG

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TWR
If you keep it like it is, Way of the Gun sling is your answer.
https://frankproctorperformancegear.com/frank-proctor-heavy-duty-sling/

That looks nice.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
, but I kind of like the option of occasionally removing the handguard for cleaning, without having to unpin the FSB.

If you really want ti keep the FSB & be able to take the HG off w/o unpinning it, these work well..........direct replacement for a traditional plastic handguard. I've used a longer 15" version on a carbine gas gun, but they don't seem to make a similar version for a mid-length system, just this shorter version.

When it's on it every bit as solid as the plastic version.............just not a floated tube & still has those limitations if you can live with that.

MM

Drop in HG

I put one of those on my 7.62x39. It's rock solid. It's something I'm also considering for this middy.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I love pinned gas blocks,but hate IRONS and always look forward to that chop.

The 'lug gets chopped second and a "regular" swivel stud gets mounted on every FF tube................

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the only one I have that doesn't have the old-school FSB/gas block.

The 14.7" middy.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have ANY that do.................(grin)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 848 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,706
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.