Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just after a bit of help, info and any thing else
After securing a Fantastic stock from a gentleman here on the forum I now find the while resurrecting the rifle from a custom made stock
a lot of parts were changed, as happens

I have a exploded parts picture but trying to work out which part goes where

Does anybody know of a assembly schematic parts drawing as I think I with have to make up some parts

Some have dotted lines to indicate position of assembly

Many thanks
Cheers

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Numrich Gunparts Corp will have an exploded view of the 1920. Their site may not show you how everything goes together but you will see what the parts look like and if they have any in stock. Best of luck!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes I have that one thanks, no parts in stock for the bits I need
Cheers

Graham
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have that same illustration in an old gunsmithing book I found at a yard sale years ago. GP does have some parts for the 1920 - which I find a bit amazing. What are you missing?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Part no 25 but have just finished making that
Part 39 I need 1 of but can make that
Parts 41 & 42 they show 1 each, But when assembling I need 1 off each for the floor plate trigger guard
& 1 for the recoil lug
but what goes under the trigger plate #25 to hold the back take down Stub?
Cheers

Graham
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have some parts for the model 20, if you still need parts. my email: tal35-sav99REMOVETHIS@usa.net

Last edited by tal35; 01/07/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Graham and everyone, I am in the middle of assembling a 1920/26 that was given to me I totally disassembled, I am documenting the assembly process and will be posting pictures of everything, I was going to wait until it was complete but might do it in installments - I do have a layout of all the stock mounting hardware other than the front barrel stud & screw which are missing and will need to be fabricated - they both are standard parts also used on the 99's. Graham, I sent you the pictures of the stock mounting hardware by email since you need that now.

The gun I have was totally disassembled, even the bolt was in pieces and there were a couple parts removed that were never intended to be taken off - to do this a part had to be broken.

Added, I went ahead and uploaded some of the pictures I have ready, only 6 can be displayed in one thread - I think these should help you -

[Linked Image]

older parts list
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What I have to work with - came in a plastic bag -
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is missing a washer that goes with the short screw 20-2050 that threads into the bottom of the broken piece 20-2049 - this is under the trigger guard 20-99 when assembled
[Linked Image]
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/88949.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/88950.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/88951.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/88952.jpg[/img
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/88953.jpg[/img

Last edited by GeneB; 01/07/19.

Gene
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brilliant info Gene
Thanks
Got to make up most of the parts on the lathe
The 20-58's I got some 1/4" UNF bolts turned the head down to the same Dimensions
as the originals and put the slot in on the milling machine
the trigger plate was easy enough just time consuming
The assembly screw Escutcheon was was easy
All that is left is the forearm screw
Anybody know what the tread is on part # 99-421
Cheers

Graham
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Anybody know what the tread is on part # 99-421

Should be #8-40.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kiwi
The 20-58's I got some 1/4" UNF bolts turned the head down to the same Dimensions
as the originals and put the slot in on the milling machine
Part 20-58 in the earlier parts list is labeled '1 U 50 Assembly Screw Escutcheon' and is listed under the Assembly Screws... so I assumed it's the part the assembly screws go into... but the drawing looks more like a sling attachment escutcheon than the escutcheon for the assembly screws. This is the part I thought was 20-58, if not then this part is not listed -

UPDATE: from a post by Kiwi it seems the early parts were screw in and matched the the parts drawing, pictured below are later knurled 20-58's.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GeneB; 01/09/19. Reason: added update

Gene
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks for this Gene, really great contribution to Savage 1920 preservation!
- How about the bolt stop plunger and spring (2U 11 & 17), I'm at a loss where they belong?
What can we do for You Gene, in return?!

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JeffG
How about the bolt stop plunger and spring (2U 11 & 17), I'm at a loss where they belong?
Those will be covered, the plan has been to post a complete assembly of one of these.... when I get it completely assembled. I spent today making repair parts to reassemble the receiver, when that's done the rest should be easy. I also have pictures of the repair of a Lyman 54 that was improperly taken off that will show what issues to watch for on these sights. It also was somewhat in parts when received

Last edited by GeneB; 01/08/19.
kiwi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gene while rebuilding the parts for my 1920's I have done 2
the part 20-58 is an earlier one with a screw thread
Like you I knurled them as in the later stocks
I found both in my assortment of local gunsmith repairs and assembly
Cheers

Graham
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Gene, Graham,

How does this piece #20-2049 attach to the receiver? I'm trying to remove one and don't want to break it like Gene's working with

[Linked Image]

JeffG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jeff, do not try and remove it!!! It's meant to be a permanent attachment. The small end is hollow and very thin, it works kind of like a 'pop rivet' - the tube like end is put through the two parts and then expanded to hold them together, a plug is also inserted into it, I do not know if this is done after it's expanded or inserting the plug is what expands it... but I do know it's not made to be taken back out.

Numrich actually has one in stock, but I was not sure if it was one that was never used, as pictured, or possibly a used one and even if it were new I would have to find some way to expand it enough to hold everything very tight, and I would probably only have one chance at that.. and I do not know if this was done with the part cold or if they heated it first... and it would still require a plug to be made becasue the safety spring and plunger are held in a hole in this plug.

.gunpartscorp.com/products/989580 Out of curiosity I plug two in as the number ordered and was notified the dib not have that many. You can see by this and the broken one that there are only two small thin tabs on each side of the slot that hold all this together.

I have pictures of my solution but they are not ready to post. I'll try to load those & post here later today.

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You definitely are going to have to post pre and post resurrection pictures of this project.

"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Loud and clear Gene, Thanks!

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My current problem is; when the safety is on, and the safety push rod is pulled back over the sear, it does not hold the sear down as it should. I assumed I had mis-matched parts and either my safety push rod needed to be taller, or the slot in my safety post was over sized, and another matched pair of each piece would be the solution.

Looking at the issue, and again at your exploded parts diagram, where do part #'s 20-2047, and 2048, safety catch and spring belong?

Last edited by JeffG; 01/22/19.

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never had enough schooling to be an actual engineer,..but maybe I've got a shot at being a reverse-engineer!

JeffG
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gene, you are the St. Jude for this stuff!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1moredeer, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 60 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,339
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.