Print Thread
Hop To
#13414331 01/02/19
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Anyone have any experience with the Bighorn levers? They look awesome but a little spendy. Thinking about a model 89 but can't decide on the 18 inch or 22" barrel.

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Me personally, I don't think the action is up to the pressures that a .500 S&W generates. That's one reason I am having my Win 71 converted to .50 Alaskan, which should accomplish better ballistics than a .500 S&W with less pressure, and much cheaper cost. That's my 2 cents...your mileage may vary! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ken
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
And your experience tells you the model 89 isn’t up to the pressure of the cartridge? Since I built the prototypes and tested this action I say you are absolutely wrong.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Me personally, I don't think the action is up to the pressures that a .500 S&W generates. That's one reason I am having my Win 71 converted to .50 Alaskan, which should accomplish better ballistics than a .500 S&W with less pressure, and much cheaper cost. That's my 2 cents...your mileage may vary! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

You don't think, or do you know? I have done extensive research on these rifles and the only negative comments seem to come from folks who think they are overpriced or can't afford them and love their Marlin's. No substance to their comments from what I see. Please let me know if you have any facts. From what I can tell, these rifles are awesome for folks that have the ability to buy one. Not for everyone for sure, but what a great rifle for those in need of a closer range power house.
Lonnie

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I've never seen a Bighorn in person, but a friend / client in the US has one. They are one of the finest looking rifles being built today IMO. I just wish they were available in Canada. I think they would sell well, especially in the western part of the country. Even if they worked out a deal with Prophet River Arms, so Canadians could order through them would be nice. Prophet River does that for a few different US gunmakers and since Prophet River does the importing the process is simple.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by papalondog
Originally Posted by desertoakie

You don't think, or do you know? I have done extensive research on these rifles and the only negative comments seem to come from folks who think they are overpriced or can't afford them and love their Marlin's. No substance to their comments from what I see. Please let me know if you have any facts. From what I can tell, these rifles are awesome for folks that have the ability to buy one. Not for everyone for sure, but what a great rifle for those in need of a closer range power house.
Lonnie

Hi Lonnie,
I do not know, but from the design of these rifles, if I am not mistaken, are after the Winchester 1886/71 family with their rear lock-up that I believe most will agree isn't as strong as a bolt action rifle. How does this same design withstand the .500 S&W's pressures (65,000)? Better metallurgy? Perhaps, but that does not make up for the inherent design, which I do not believe was ever intended for those high pressures. That is why, after considering purchase of a Big Horn 89, I believe a .50 Alaskan converted Win 71, kept to under 50,000 would provide better longevity over a cartridge (.500 S&W) that is loaded to extremely high pressures to get the ballistics of what a .50 Alaskan can do at much lower pressure. This is not in any way meant to speak ill of the Big Horn, but rather my rationalization for a 50 caliber lever rifle.

Ken
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
So in your testing of the 1886 design you have found any weakness? I ran a prototype which was thinner and smaller than the production rifles into 100k psi. Nothing moved except in recoil which was memorable. And that was a 4140 receiver, the production guns are 17-4 which is pretty tough stuff.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I don't think I would shoot the 1000's of rounds through either that would take to wear it out. Maybe some hot loads for actual bear hunting and I'm thinking of a buffalo hunt, but if I want to target shoot I like the recoil and noise from my Anschutz .22's a lot better. I don't think that either gun discussed will have any issues at all. No argument that the bolt action is a stronger action.
Thanks for the input,
Lonnie

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I’m over 10 thousand rounds through an early production carbine, it’s still going. It’s my spring bear gun in the Beartooths. And a fun picket pin and rockchuck blaster for summer. Trail boss makes for very nice no recoil loads.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by frank500
I’m over 10 thousand rounds through an early production carbine, it’s still going. It’s my spring bear gun in the Beartooths. And a fun picket pin and rockchuck blaster for summer. Trail boss makes for very nice no recoil loads.

This is great to hear! I think I'll have to place an 89 onto the "acquire" list! They make em in .460 also, correct?

Ken
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I had to order one. Got the 500. We will plink with it and blow stuff up and if I go on a buffalo hunt, I'm set!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Did look at them and they do look awesome. I won't say they aren't worth it, but, right now they are more than I'm willing to pay. Could always change if I got to hold one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
195 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 17 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,911
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.