Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mike70560

When hunting in Africa becomes top priority it is surprising how affordable it becomes. smile

Isn't that the truth. For most guys, by the third day of their first safari all they can think about is how to get back again for another Safari. The major downside of Africa is it ruins you for most North American hunting.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Quit hunting Alaska and Canada after I discovered Africa 20 years ago. More bang for the buck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hop on over to AR in August and look for last minute, end of season hunts, that typically will come up for that sept/october time period. Personally, I'd also consider a non-trophy if you are looking for a great experience you could do one of these with Mokore. As others have said, I would focus on Zim, maybe Moz for a reasonable price on a wild buff and great hunting experience. Caprivi would not be my first choice for buff. Zambia is amazing but no deals there. Think same for Tanzania.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would love to go after Cape Buffalo. How could anyone not, if you've read any of the books on Africa. It's obvious to me those folks that are able to walk from dark to dark seem to they they have the moral high ground. Truth of the matter is, even when I've hunted plains game in SA, I discovered there is no walking 10 miles or more in this old broken down body. I don't mind working for an animal but there's only so much work I have left in me in a day. At this point in my life, if I were to go I'd probably have to hunt a ranch or possibly even high fence, although that doesn't appeal to me as much.

FWIW If you can go, or want to go, don't wait till you are older and struggling to keep up.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Cariboujack,

I don't think preferring to hunt wild Cape buffalo, rather than ranch or high-fence buffalo is taking "the moral high ground." Instead hunting wild Africa, where other dangerous animals from lions to elephants generally live, is a very different experience, just as hunting elk in the high Rockies is very different from getting a game-farm elk. I know this from accompanying friends when they took ranch/high fence buffalo.

But the other factor is that it's not always necessary to walk all day when hunting Cape buffalo. A good friend of mine broke an ankle 2-3 weeks before a scheduled Cape buffalo safari in Zimbawbe. He couldn't walk, but a couple of young, strong black guys carried him a few hundred yards along some buffalo tracks found crossing a road, and he got a bull. And in a lot of wild Africa, buffalo tracks are usually found when driving roads, rather than while hiking around all day.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Deals on Africa are not just in August. They are also available just after the Show season in the spring.(Hunt's that were not sold.) Cancellations are made anytime during the year. I check on hunt cancellations daily.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,642
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.