Hop To
Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by LSU fan

I know I'm being OCD but it might be helpful to list which ATOM you have. They make 3 or 4 levels of Atom Jacket. (AR, LT, SL, etc)

Mine is an Atom LT Hoody.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been reading some of the posts here.

Validates the point to me that everyone is different.

I have, and likely will tomorrow through Tuesday, sit in low 20s-mid 30s degree from around 6:45 until 11:00 am. Id say the wind will be blowing 8-10 mph. I may stand up once an hour to give my back a rest. I'll be sitting on a cheap walmart cushion seat, on top of a rock in a place that the sun won't be hitting until 10:30 or so. I won't be warm, won't be too comfortable, but it will be totally bearable.

My clothes are fairly basic, with a few nice pieces thrown in, but it's works for me.
I'll be wearing:

Old Under Armor 2.0 base
LL Bean Midweight Merino Base Layers (they call it 250 weight)
Carhartt Midweight Hoody
Microtex pants
Kifaru LPP
HPG Mountain Serape
Darn Tough Socks (the heavy ones)
Cabelas/Meindl Denali
Blaze orange hat from Cabelas (cheapo)

Usually just wear a cheap pair of thin gloves and keep a handwarmer or two in the pocket on the LPP or my Hoody.

Been doing basically the same for a few years and it's been working for me. Replaced Berber Fleece windstopper pullover last year with LPP and haven't regretted it. I don't carry my bibs anymore since I've got the Mountain Serape. I get cold sometimes, but I honestly think you will no matter what you bring if you're not moving at all.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by cast10K

Sorry, I meant specific shell recommendations/favorites. Thanks.

Whew. That’s a bit open ended. What are you wanting out of the shell?

Something for wind obviously, deal with light precip, and protection for an underlying puffy in the event I want to do a bit of travel with it on. Just pitch me something down the middle for an all-arounder. Thanks

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cast10K

Something for wind obviously, deal with light precip, and protection for an underlying puffy in the event I want to do a bit of travel with it on. Just pitch me something down the middle for an all-arounder. Thanks

Disclaimer- my experience in heavy use of rain shells in constant rain, is the most limited experience I have in clothing systems. I use them, but mostly I’m having to move fast enough that I’ll sweat out no matter what shell is used, or I’m perfectly still and breathe ability isn’t super important. Mostly they’re used as wind blockers.

I would ask AK Lanche his thoughts on shells if it’s for constant rain use.

Given that, with what I’ve used and seen used heavily the buy once option is going to be Arc’teryx- probably the Alpha AR or FL, or Sitka Stormfront. On the mid level stuff there really doesn’t seem to be a clear winner. The Firstlite SEAK has done well, and I would probably lean that way in the $300 range. Lower than that and Marmot Precip is probably as good as any.

Items that work uses are Arc’teryx, Beyond, and Patagonia. All have performed well keeping me dry; with the cut, features, and durability going to Arc’teryx.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been using First Lites Chamberlain this season and I absolutely think it's the best thing since peanut butter.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Is the down treated in the FL chamberlin?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by mountaintop
Is the down treated in the FL chamberlin?

Yes.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Anyone tried an Eddie Bauer Evertherm jacket? Uses that relatively new Thindown insulation material. After a cursory look it seems like a nice material for a light, thin jacket with decent warmth. None of the reviews I’ve seen have commented on whether it breathes well. Though it seems to have seen some good testing on climbs in the Cascades and on Everest. EB has sole use rights to the material for now.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/campaign/evertherm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaMnvDKTEXk&time_continue=83

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2017/08/eddie-bauer-reinvents-the-down-jacket.html

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by prm
Anyone tried an Eddie Bauer Evertherm jacket? Uses that relatively new Thindown insulation material. After a cursory look it seems like a nice material for a light, thin jacket with decent warmth. None of the reviews I’ve seen have commented on whether it breathes well. Though it seems to have seen some good testing on climbs in the Cascades and on Everest. EB has sole use rights to the material for now.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/campaign/evertherm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RaMnvDKTEXk&time_continue=83

http://www.thegearcaster.com/2017/08/eddie-bauer-reinvents-the-down-jacket.html

This is the PERFECT example of what I have been saying, and at least EB is honest about it, even if they aren’t so forthcoming.

Here is their rating for their “negative 20 degree” Evertherm BC Jacket-

[Linked Image]

It a “-20 degree” jacket, but in reality it’s a 40 degree jacket if you aren’t moving.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t think anyone disagrees that how you use it drives its utility. It’s all in the layering.

Note: Temperature ratings are based on a controlled laboratory test, using low and moderate activity levels. Also consider: your sensitivity to cold and wind-chill; time of exposure; activity level; and use of layering.

Last edited by prm; 11/24/18.
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
bwinters
I was wondering what Sitka gear you have decided on for your layering system? I have been looking at Sitka lately and think I would like to try some of their products.

A more specific question I have for anybody is what is the difference between the kelvin active jacket and the kelvin lite hoody? I think the lite hoody is warmer but i dont know how durable it is. I am considering one of those jackets under my Kuiu guide jacket. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if it's under something, how does durable figure in?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One of the advantages of a layering system is the ability to shed or add layers. One might not always know what the 'outer' layer will be.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So if it ain't 'durable', shed or add that layer first..... problem solved

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Or maybe the outer layer is still too warm even after shedding the inner layer.....it was a simple question

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can’t speak to kelvin lite hoody, but the kelvin active is a nice lightweight jacket that works well on cool days or if doing some harder climbing or hiking in colder conditions. It moves moisture well. While I really like it, it didn’t seem to fit into my system this year. The Arc’teryx Atom typically got used instead. Had it not been so cold perhaps the KA would have been used more.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me a puffy is purely for sitting still. I was able to get a Chamberlin new on eBay for $180 a few weeks ago, and I sold my Uncompahgre the next day. The Chamberlin is significantly warmer, and on my scales the Uncompahgre was 20.6 oz and the Chamberlin 25.9 oz. Worth it. Packs down very well.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Chris
A very valid point. I guess my mistake is I'm hoping those jackets will fill more roles than they were designed to. My question should be how are people using the Kelvin active and Kelvin light hoodie in their layering system? I'm also think I should be looking for more of an insulation layer (rather than a puffy) that would fit under my Kuiu Guide or maybe the jetstream (if I go totally to Sitka).
Thanks

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How much warmth are you looking for while wearing the Kuiu DCS Guide? It’s tough to get much insulation under the Guide and thus retain the benefits of the Guide as an outer layer. The Kuiu Superdown puffy isn’t bad at all under the Guide, but it won’t be comparable to a true warm puffy like the Chamberlin if your glassing or otherwise not active. As for the Kelvin Active, if you wear it under the Guide it will defeat the purpose of the Kelvin Active, that is to breath well. I don’t wear my Guide much anymore. I do think there are times a shell is useful, mostly limited to areas where I’ll be hiking through a lot of brush or things where a light jacket such as the Kelvin Active or Arc’teryx Atom would not hold up well. The issue with the guide I have is it neither breathes real well in warmer conditions nor does much when it’s really cold. However, if I’m moving through the woods around my house or retrieving a deer nearby, I need something like the Guide otherwise the briars will destroy softer jackets.

Last edited by prm; 01/03/19.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for reply prm but your response brings another question to mind. I understand why your comment about the Kelvin Active under the guide is not a good idea. So how does the Kelvin Active work in Sitkas system? Does Sitkas Jet stream and Timberline jackets breath so much better than the Guide?

Page 19 of 22 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
820 members (06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 78 invisible), 3,240 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,713
Posts18,400,305
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.