Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
There's a company called rogers sporting goods that has some federal heavy weight 7s left and I am trying in my 12 gauge.

Google them.

Passing it on to people who may want some since it looks like federal stopped making them.

Rogers had federal 20 ga TSS 9 shot too and I ordered some of those based on several people recommending them.

Im forced to use non-lead shells because I hunt federal land so I hope these work for me because they were spendy.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They dropped the 15g/cm Heavyweight in favor of the TSS loads, which is smart on their part.

They have announced a bunch of new TSS loads for this winter/spring.

Kent and Browning have also announced TSS loads.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by GuideGun
They dropped the 15g/cm Heavyweight in favor of the TSS loads, which is smart on their part.

Great on more people making TSS loads because it should drop price as supply comes up.

I've been using 13 g/cc hevi-shot with good luck for years and the 15 g/cc heavy weight 7-shot should help my pattern.

Still having a hard time believing TSS 9 shot will penetrate like lead 5 shot, but I'll trust the more experienced turkey hunters here on that one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks for the heads-up.

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by humdinger

Great on more people making TSS loads because it should drop price as supply comes up.

I've been using 13 g/cc hevi-shot with good luck for years and the 15 g/cc heavy weight 7-shot should help my pattern.

Still having a hard time believing TSS 9 shot will penetrate like lead 5 shot, but I'll trust the more experienced turkey hunters here on that one.

I shot a gobbler last spring a little further than I should have with the Federal TSS 3" 12ga #9 load out of an Indian Creek choked 11-87 and it was a bang flop event. 5 gobblers died last year with that gun and shell combo...I am a believer in TSS now. It is impressive when you put 300-350 pellets in the 10" ring at the 40 yard patterning board and another 200-250 in the 20" ring. I have been seeing mostly all pass throughs too with very very little shot found in the birds.

Last edited by GuideGun; 01/05/19.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

I shot a gobbler last spring a little further than I should have with the Federal TSS 3" 12ga #9 load out of an Indian Creek choked 11-87 and it was a bang flop event. 5 gobblers died last year with that gun and shell combo...I am a believer in TSS now. It is impressive when you put 300-350 pellets in the 10" ring at the 40 yard patterning board and another 200-250 in the 20" ring. I have been seeing mostly all pass throughs too with very very little shot found in the birds.

Hmm... I ordered some TSS9 for a 20 gauge turkey gun im putting together, but maybe regretting not ordering a box of TSS for my 12 gauge.

Still trying to wrap my head around a 20 gauge getting the job done, but I have a Franchi affinity im putting a red dot on after hearing how much guys like their compact 870 20 gauge guns..

Turkey hunting is worst than deer hunting when you start tinkering with guns for different setups....

Last edited by humdinger; 01/05/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Still trying to wrap my head around a 20 gauge getting the job done,....

It ain't that hard to wrap around once you see a tricked out 20 with modern shotshell technology in action.

We're running 4 H&R single barrel 20's that were stroked by William at SumToy Customs in Georgia. This past spring, I shot 3 longbeards with the 20. One at 33 yards...……….one at 47 yards...…….and an ignorant Merriam's at 53 yards. Got exit wounds even on the 53 yarder. Now, 53 yards is farther than I like to shoot, just because...…. I like to call 'em close and beat 'em bad. But it's good to have 53 yard confidence in a gun you mostly use at 30-40 yards.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm still trying to wrap my head around people spending that much money on turkey loads...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
I'm still trying to wrap my head around people spending that much money on turkey loads...

It's all in what a feller's priorities are, I reckon...…………….

I, personally, live and breathe to hunt spring gobblers. I also obsess over maximizing my gun, choke, load performance...…...same as the rifle guy who's always trying to get just .1" less CTC at 100 yards. Spring 2018, I killed 5 longbeards. Total cost for my 5 shotshells…………. less than $15. I put over 3000 miles on my pickup to do it. So gasoline cost was about 33X the price of my shells. License cost was about 25X the price of my shells...………….see where it's going ??

I know guys who'll spend 3X the price of my shells in one night at the local waterin' hole only to pizz it on a post. They got THEIR priorities...………….I got mine.

How long can you plink tin cans with an AR or a 9mm semi for $15 of ammo ???

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

I figure I ain't shooting skeet with them so I can afford a few extra bucks for some ammo.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Understood... I hunt turkeys 45 days a year. I just have never seen the need to use anything other than a .660 or .665 Kicks and 3" Win Longshot #5's for the last few years. Prior to that, I used copper coated shot and never had a problem. I have killed them at 60 yards with the above set up - not proud of it, but my rig will do it.

Now, if I don't get them to 40 yards, I let them go... this goes for all the family and friends I guide also. The high priced shot will NOT KILL THEM ANY MORE DEAD than what I use. But that's why there are choices out there... so people can buy what they want if the marketing grabs them... smile

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 2 major differences I see with the HTL pellets is increased pattern density on target and increased penetration. Both make HTL loads "more lethal" on paper. The rub is.......if you limit your shots to 35-40 yards and never mis-judge a yardage......makes no difference. The Winchester Longbeard XR shotshell is mind boggling if you're old like me and had been used to conventional buffered lead technology.

Last edited by Yoder409; 01/05/19.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I shoot a 20 gauge so the smaller and heavier shot allows me great density and a 50yd reach. The 20 is lighter, shorter and has less recoil. I have 18 boxes of Federal HW #7's so I'm set for a long time. By the time I turned in the rebate I had $28 per 10. 20 gauge lead longbeards are around $22-$24 per 10. So for $4-$6 more per box I get a much better performing round, especially if I screw up and misjudge yardage.

Even when I shot a 12 I used hevi13 #7's. They may not kill them any deader but it sure didn't hurt anything. I misjudged one early on a foggy morning and I was glad I threw down the extra few bucks for the 7's.

Longbeard 6's shot great from my 12. I tried 5's but they were splotchy and crappy.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Longbeard 6's shot great from my 12. I tried 5's but they were splotchy and crappy.

Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tube...……… wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP here again....

Side question to the 20 gauge TSS shooters:

Federal sells a 1000 FPS as reduced recoil and a 1200 fps load.

See any amount of performance difference?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have only been turkey hunting a few years now but only shot heavy shot magblends in my 870 12gauge for two years. Then I shot a 20 gauge 1187 with 21” barrel and tss handloads. I can attest to the fact that the 20gauge works just as well as a 12 with the magblends. I try to shoot as close as possible but sometimes it don’t work out.
Last years I shot one at 4 or 5 yards and one at 56 that I misjudge. Both died just the same.
As for the cost I think think shells is probably one of the most important things and probably the cheapest when you look at the big picture. Gas, license, calls, vest/clothes and for me time. I work odd schedules and on call, so time missed with the family when I’m off is very valuable for me. The average guy probably only shoots 5-10 shells in a year anyways.
The big perk for me handloading tss is the time spent with my young daughter. She always drops or spills a couple shells and we have to clean up and redo but it’s all worth it when she gets to see patterns from dead targets we shoot. Hopefully I’m gonna get her on a bird with me

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NMSSHOOTER
I have only been turkey hunting a few years now but only shot heavy shot magblends in my 870 12gauge for two years. Then I shot a 20 gauge 1187 with 21” barrel and tss handloads. I can attest to the fact that the 20gauge works just as well as a 12 with the magblends. I try to shoot as close as possible but sometimes it don’t work out.
Last years I shot one at 4 or 5 yards and one at 56 that I misjudge. Both died just the same.
As for the cost I think think shells is probably one of the most important things and probably the cheapest when you look at the big picture. Gas, license, calls, vest/clothes and for me time. I work odd schedules and on call, so time missed with the family when I’m off is very valuable for me. The average guy probably only shoots 5-10 shells in a year anyways.
The big perk for me handloading tss is the time spent with my young daughter. She always drops or spills a couple shells and we have to clean up and redo but it’s all worth it when she gets to see patterns from dead targets we shoot. Hopefully I’m gonna get her on a bird with me

I agree and your last paragraph is awesome.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
OP here again....

1000fps is plenty. You only need speed if you're shooting past fifty yards to flatten the trajectory. The pattern stays tight enough you can see it start to drop fast past fifty. If you shoot the 1000fps out of a 28" barrel you will likely have a hearing safe rig. Which is important considering how much turkey hunters need their hearing.

My .410 with TSS handloads outperforms the 12 gauge lead turkey shells I used to use. Easy to miss with, though. That's why I pull out the "big 20" until I kill the first one. laugh

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
OP here again....

1000fps is plenty. You only need speed if you're shooting past fifty yards to flatten the trajectory. The pattern stays tight enough you can see it start to drop fast past fifty. If you shoot the 1000fps out of a 28" barrel you will likely have a hearing safe rig. Which is important considering how much turkey hunters need their hearing.

My .410 with TSS handloads outperforms the 12 gauge lead turkey shells I used to use. Easy to miss with, though. That's why I pull out the "big 20" until I kill the first one. laugh

Thanks... its odd... The website listed low recoil 1000 fps stuff and standard 1200 fps stuff so I ordered two boxes of the 1200 FPS stuff.

I got 2 boxes marked 1100 FPS. LOL

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Midway just got some Federal TSS in the end of last week, finally got the product arrival notification after about 9 months of waiting. I used up the last of my Winchester supreme elite extended ranges last year. That was an awesome shell. Gonna give the tss a try now.

We can kill 3 a year in Ga, whats a few patterning shots and then 3 more shots at long beards if you are fortunate enough...I don't care what it costs if its good stuff.

I saw a target last year where the 410 #9s penetrated a 3/4in piece of plywood at 40 yards.

Last edited by killerv; 01/14/19.

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1234, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.