Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've had good luck with 62 TSXs in my Hawkeye. We have summer crop damage permits, and it's nice to watch the deer drop in the scope.

The three I shot this year dropped right on the spot. At 200 yards or so it will punch through both shoulders

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Form- couple good posts!

I agree on most points, though I do love me some monos in the little guns....however on the damage subject I did use the Nosler 64 BSB on a couple deer and considered the damage to be excessive, so quit using them. The monos do indeed leave smaller wounds channels. In the dozens of deer Ive killed and butchered, most looked like they had been killed with a drill ...but if that wound channel is in the right place, Ive had excellent results.
Had good results with the old 55 grain Trophy Bonded,and am getting some good results with the 55 Gr. speer Gold Dot.

Ingwe, Form, and others,

With the monos and the .22 CF calibers, do you tend to alter your shot placement (e.g. aim for the shoulder bones, etc) or possible use only head/neck shots. In other words, what is preferred shot placement with the monos in a 22 caliber? Also, do you differ shot placement depending upon whether using a mono vs. a bonded bullet?

Thanks much and great topic,
R

Speaking solely for myself I dont alter the shot placement with either monos or Bonded bullets...have not found a need. If a weird angle or shot presents itself and no other is available, I'll take it...just as I would with any other larger centerfire...though I must admit that rarely happens ( cant remember when it did....)

On those occasions when Ive used conventional cup and core bullets...I have been really picky about my shots, but still go for the heart/lungs....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Is this the right place to ask for deer load recommendations for my hornet ? Haha

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Form- couple good posts!

I agree on most points, though I do love me some monos in the little guns....however on the damage subject I did use the Nosler 64 BSB on a couple deer and considered the damage to be excessive, so quit using them. The monos do indeed leave smaller wounds channels. In the dozens of deer Ive killed and butchered, most looked like they had been killed with a drill ...but if that wound channel is in the right place, Ive had excellent results.
Had good results with the old 55 grain Trophy Bonded,and am getting some good results with the 55 Gr. speer Gold Dot.

Ingwe, Form, and others,

With the monos and the .22 CF calibers, do you tend to alter your shot placement (e.g. aim for the shoulder bones, etc) or possible use only head/neck shots. In other words, what is preferred shot placement with the monos in a 22 caliber? Also, do you differ shot placement depending upon whether using a mono vs. a bonded bullet?

R

I shoot them in the same place I do with any other bullet, the front half. I have shot shoulders and shot behind shoulders and had dead stuff result either way so I don’t worry too much about it regardless of bullet or cartridge.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jmd025
Is this the right place to ask for deer load recommendations for my hornet ? Haha

What's the bbl twist rate?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I was half assed joking , but 1:16

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wish they’d make a 20gr ttsx in 17cal. I’d whack a deer with one out of my 17Rem in a heartbeat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
I wish they’d make a 20gr ttsx in 17cal. I’d whack a deer with one out of my 17Rem in a heartbeat.
I know kids around here that have killed a bunch with the .17 HMR. Course they're shooting heads.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I’m thinking the new 70 grain Accubond might be a good choice.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Ingwe, Form, and others,

R

I personally do. With monos I want bone to help with opening. The more bone they hit, the better they preform and the wounds are small enough that a lot of meat isn’t lost even if popping shoulders. With bullets like the 77gr TMK and 75gr Gold Dot it depends. Bucks get broke shoulders, meat gets rib shots. These bullets cause enough damage that if they hit bone, you’ll lose most or all of that quarter. Booners I’m not to concerned with that, but on meat I am.

Originally Posted by ChetAF
Form,

I have always had good luck with Partitions, as they have a really soft nose section that comes apart, with the rear section usually punching through. Have you used many in the 6.5 or .223?

Lots. Partitions are probably the most consistent bullets made from a terminal perspective. Matter of fact, thinking about it- they might be the only bullets I’ve never seen anything weird with. Accuracy hasn’t ever been great in the .22’s, though good enough for most uses. Above that Partitions have been great.

Form- couple good posts!

The 64gr BSB is a monster of a bullet. It was engineered to do exactly that- put big holes deep into tissue. As you said though.... stay away from bone.

I dig the monos. Don’t want anyone to think otherwise. I’ve killed a lot with 70gr TSX’s, as well as the lighter versions. They work well, but do have a relatively narrow and deep wound channel. Not a problem as long as a person understands that. I treat monos like an arrow that goes through bone.

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
P

It will be. However, with bonded bullets one has to be aware that weight retention isn’t always your friend for penetration. A really wide mushroom can and will result in less penetration than if the front collapses or fragments off. That is to say the 70gr Accubond is going to be found under the offside skin quite a bit.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So I take it you did in fact kill the deer and were able to do a post mortem to verify bullet performance ?

Yes, I killed the deer, but with my knife, not the rifle. Basically all the shot did was stun it enough for me to close the distance on foot. Was not what I planned, but it's what it was. It would have escaped .. probably would have died, can't imagine how it wouldn't have, but not for some time and distance.

We gutted it on the spot, then took it 15-20 minutes home to skin. The bullet hole was right where I meant to hit it. The bullet had traversed some tendon, muscle, blood vessels, etc for about 8 before it hit the spine and stopped.

I didn't keep the bullet, but as I remember, it was in decent shape, guessing 65-70% weight retention. I think it performed ok, just wasn't a good choice for the day's job. I think it would have worked very well quartering into the chest cavity from behind.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, I bet it would have done good on a lung shot. They always did for me. I don't recall ever shooting one in the neck with a .223 myself. Did shoot one in the head. Killed the deer alright but was a PITA patching the skull cap back together with Bondo.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting discussion. I'll put my $.02 in based on my experience.....

I've killed several deer with the 62TTXS and I can't force myself not to shoot shoulders with them. In wooded areas (or field edges where they may hit the woods) the thought of the lack of/smaller blood trail with the mono's keep me shooting for shoulders. They've worked well there.

I've used the 62 grain Fusion factory load on a few deer, mainly through lungs and it's worked well. Have done the same with the speer 70 grain semi-spitzer (I like this one on lungs a shorter range). I didn't see as much damage as Form has shown in his pictures but nothing was hit but ribs/lungs (223/223AI speeds at 100 yards or less).

I've yet to get the courage to try a 75 Amax on deer. I had a bad experience with them on a coyote that I can't get around. ~125 yard shot on coyote in an open field. Load was a 223AI fireform load so it wasn't pushing a high velocity. Aim for shoulder, shoot, yote hits the ground and starts screaming and going crazy on the ground. It's open ground between us so I try to put another into it's chest (from the underside) as it's lying on it's side. Still going crazy after the shot. Hustle over and put one through the ribs at close range to end it. First shot blew up on the shoulder, massive entry but very little penetration. Second shot blew up on the underside of the chest but this one hit a leg on the way to it....looked like little to no penetration. I've used the 75 amax on enough coyote's before and after that episode that I know it was a fluke....but it still happened. I know enough people have used them that they will work on deer but in this case, if it couldn't completely penetrate a 4" wide coyote I'd hate to think about the rodeo that would have occurred if it had been a deer. I know it was a fluke.....I keep telling myself it will be ok, give it a shot, but I just can't do it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Seems we beat this dead horse about every year at this time. Really rather boring, the cartridge has its followers and its detractors much like the old .270 vs. .30-06 debate.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Interesting discussion. I'll put my $.02 in based on my experience.....

I've killed several deer with the 62TTXS and I can't force myself not to shoot shoulders with them. In wooded areas (or field edges where they may hit the woods) the thought of the lack of/smaller blood trail with the mono's keep me shooting for shoulders. They've worked well there.

I've used the 62 grain Fusion factory load on a few deer, mainly through lungs and it's worked well. Have done the same with the speer 70 grain semi-spitzer (I like this one on lungs a shorter range). I didn't see as much damage as Form has shown in his pictures but nothing was hit but ribs/lungs (223/223AI speeds at 100 yards or less).

I've yet to get the courage to try a 75 Amax on deer. I had a bad experience with them on a coyote that I can't get around. ~125 yard shot on coyote in an open field. Load was a 223AI fireform load so it wasn't pushing a high velocity. Aim for shoulder, shoot, yote hits the ground and starts screaming and going crazy on the ground. It's open ground between us so I try to put another into it's chest (from the underside) as it's lying on it's side. Still going crazy after the shot. Hustle over and put one through the ribs at close range to end it. First shot blew up on the shoulder, massive entry but very little penetration. Second shot blew up on the underside of the chest but this one hit a leg on the way to it....looked like little to no penetration. I've used the 75 amax on enough coyote's before and after that episode that I know it was a fluke....but it still happened. I know enough people have used them that they will work on deer but in this case, if it couldn't completely penetrate a 4" wide coyote I'd hate to think about the rodeo that would have occurred if it had been a deer. I know it was a fluke.....I keep telling myself it will be ok, give it a shot, but I just can't do it.

Don’t judge a bullet for deer fully on what happens with smaller animals. Coyotes especially. They have a tendency to do exactly that with a lot of bullets- have seen it with Accubonds for instance.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Paul shot this one a little far back with a 62gr TSX. I'd might have clipped part of rib, but you could easily drive a golf ball through it.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I was half assed joking , but 1:16

45gr x

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have seen the same thing twice IF that what 's TOM is describing--but both times with 150-grain cup-and-core bullets, one on a mule deer buck that weighed, field-dressed, 232 pounds after a week of hanging in my garage, the other on an average 6x6 elk elk shot just under the chin as it stood looking at the hunter (not me) at less than 100 yards in lodgepole timber.

The elk was only found after half a mile of tracking a very thin blood trail in snow. The bullet, luckily, had partially clipped one of the major blood vessels, so eventually keeled over. The shot on the mule deer was a "finisher" after it had been shot frontally in the center of the chest at 20-25 yards, also in timber. The first bullet exited through the spine at the rear of the ribcage (the buck was standing above me on a moderate slope), but the second was found, minus the core, resting gently against the spine.

As many have pointed out, bullet penetration matters more than cartridge, bullet weight, etc.

This will sound impossible and I'm hesitant to share it but I've had the same thing happen on a Buck that I had down and facing me at 20 yards. He needed a finisher from my 45-70 with 405 grain Remington factory loads so I shot him in the throat. That 405 grain slug did not exit but had flattened against the spine. I was shocked.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

I've never had a good old 70 grain SMP Speer fail me on deer, either out of the 223 or the 22.250...
and that bullet has been around forever....and like all Speer bullets, their price is pretty cheap anymore, compared to all of the competitors out there.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (12344mag, 163bc, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,012 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,894
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.