24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
Originally Posted by pete53
there are a lot of deer shot with a 223 ,mostly by sharp shooters at night in cities that feel they need to control deer population without the use of public hunters. its kinda a dirty little secret being done they usally start on sunday night about 10;30 pm - 5;30am thru Thursday and always at night when most of the public are sleeping.,sharp shooters shoot all deer in the head when possible,all meat is givin too food shelf ,horns go to the states DNR.

Pete- you have struck Internet gold with this comment. I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

oh it happens alot,many people just don't pay attention to what happens to city deer. so most of you people have had no ideal this goes on but it does and 223/556 are used with the sound reducer on rifle at nite . so you people didn`t know this happens every fall ? really ? I live out in the country and knew these deer get shot every fall in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

Last edited by pete53; 01/05/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
These threads are always so much fun!

Those with the least experience seem to spout off the most...

I'm wondering if I could get invited to do some city deer hunting! Course...Ive never shot a deer with anything, let alone a measly .223 whistle

there are a lot of deer shot with a 223 ,mostly by sharp shooters at night in cities that feel they need to control deer population without the use of public hunters. its kinda a dirty little secret being done they usally start on sunday night about 10;30 pm - 5;30am thru Thursday and always at night when most of the public are sleeping.,sharp shooters shoot all deer in the head when possible,all meat is givin too food shelf ,horns go to the states DNR.

Pete- you have struck Internet gold with this comment. I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I look forward to some inner city nightime deer hunting with some of those nameless sharpshooters. Of course since its a dirty little secret I bet its hard to get invited:)

[Linked Image]

no ideal ? WTF ? about sharpshooters ? .that`s almost funny how little you boys know what does goes on ,have never even heard of these sharpshooters that these cities hire with DNR permits to lower the deer population ? golf course`s do it too with a DNR permit ? so don`t get smart with me when you have no ideal what goes on ! again Clint Eastwood said it best : some of you people need to be hit with a shovel side the head !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

[Linked Image]

and you too have no ideal ? WTF ? sharpshooters have some very nice night shooting equipment .

I know Pete, some of these guys just don't get it.

I just got promoted to working edge shooter - not the upper echelon needed to be a sharp shooter, mostly cause my night shooting gear is kinda mediocre. I have some nice FLIR equipment on back order and hope to get promoted to sharp shooter soon.

David

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

no ideal ? WTF ? about sharpshooters ? .that`s almost funny how little you boys know what does goes on ,have never even heard of these sharpshooters that these cities hire with DNR permits to lower the deer population ? golf course`s do it too with a DNR permit ? so don`t get smart with me when you have no ideal what goes on ! again Clint Eastwood said it best : some of you people need to be hit with a shovel side the head !

I agree Pete. These guys don't take anything seriously. I'm dead serious however. How do I get "in" on this late night city deer sniping? Can the same guy I buy my Crack Cocaine from (you know, the guy in the hoodie on the dark corner) get me in on this?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
[quote=Vic_in_Va]

[Linked Image]

I agree Pete. These guys don't take anything seriously. I'm dead serious however. How do I get "in" on this late night city deer sniping? Can the same guy I buy my Crack Cocaine from (you know, the guy in the hoodie on the dark corner) get me in on this?[/quote

oh just another mouth keyboard tuff guy ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by vapodog

Lets not impose our ethics on each other.....one might just decide that bow hunting is unethical.....

I'm still trying to figure out where I tried to impose any ethics on anybody...

But I can sure do that if you'd like...but I'm not a democrat.
I'm not a Democrat either.....but this post strongly implies a projected ethic.....My apologies if I misread it.....and in retrospect, I must say that I agree.....you did not directly impose your ethics on anyone.

Originally Posted by vapodog
OMG!

Stunt shooting!!

Is it even legal in most states!

eek eek shocked shocked

Yup....it's legal in a surprising number of states....

Yes, but is it ethical?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
[quote=Vic_in_Va]

[Linked Image]

I agree Pete. These guys don't take anything seriously. I'm dead serious however. How do I get "in" on this late night city deer sniping? Can the same guy I buy my Crack Cocaine from (you know, the guy in the hoodie on the dark corner) get me in on this?[/quote

oh just another mouth keyboard tuff guy ?

No, I didn't say anything about Meth. That's the guy in the alley that slings that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Are we having fun yet?.....LOL

Oh BTW...the deer I killed with my .223 was actually killed with a .222 Rem from a 16 1/4" barrel

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There always seems to be two broad categories of people regarding 223/deer posts.

One spouts endlessly how shooting deer with a 223 is unethical and will be the biggest mistake of your life but hasn’t done it.

The other actually does it, reports back, provides evidence, and generally finds the 223 very successful on deer just like other cartridges.

I’ve taken over a dozen of deer with the 223, two Black Bear and a pronghorn and have had nothing good results. This year I had a deer run it’s farthest from a hit with a 223. I shot a very large whitetail doe at 80 yards broadside through both lungs with a 55 gr Hornady SP, she ran about a 100 yards. Fried both lungs, great blood trail, no exit. Ironically I had shot a doe with almost the identical shot with my 338 WM and after punching literally a fist size hole through her, she also ran 100 yards.

Excuse my ingnorance but if anyone wants to said Hornady 55 sp pm me, maybe you can post it. I’ve never bothered posting pics on here I’ll read up on it.

Last edited by smallfry; 01/05/19.

I can hook you up. But you can't be one of those people with no ideals that pete refers to...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I'll let in on a dirty little secret. This pic was taken as we were about to deploy, but don't worry, it was recently declassified. Perhaps you noticed the M240 in the background, that is me. The deer have recently stepped up counter-sniper activity, so my job is to lay a base of fire why the team exfils.....don't worry, it's airsoft. Someone recently hit me in the head with a shovel and they took my bullets away until I regain my senses and grow up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by czech1022
I have a new Ruger Hawkeye in .223, along with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 scope with the typical stepped crosshairs.

Haven't shot it, have barely had it out of the box.

Never used anything as small as the .223 for anything as big as antelope or deer (previous experience includes .243 Win, .257 Roberts, 7mm-08, .270 and 30-06), but I'm considering it for next hunting season here in Nevada. I don't hunt coyote, groundhogs or assorted vermin.

Anyone here want to pass on some words of wisdom concerning this rifle, my scope choice, preferred ammo, and max range if not twisting dials?

I'm pretty sure I'll be looking for some Win 55gr PowerPoints to start off with, although I can handload if factory ammo doesn't perform well in this rifle.

And actually, I was even considering trading off the rifle for something smaller and lighter (Howa Mini Action?), because I want my wife and kids to have something to use with minimum recoil if I can ever persuade them to come hunt with me.

Anyway, if you don't mind, tell me what you think the limitations of this pipsqueak cartridge are and how you put yours to work hunting medium-size game.

Thanks!

I love the rifle, especially the Standard version, and love the round. The round will work almost all of the time just fine on deer sized game but I chose to stop using it on deer a long time ago. I like a little more bullet weight these days and rarely take deer with anything less than 115 grains in .25 calibler. But that's what makes us all different. Use what you like provided you do it well and enjoy it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DirtyLittleSecrets

I can hook you up. But you can't be one of those people with no ideals that pete refers to...

LOL. So I don't have to see the Crack dealer after all. Turns out Ol Pete was speaking in code!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

oh it happens alot,many people just don't pay attention to what happens to city deer. so most of you people have had no ideal this goes on but it does and 223/556 are used with the sound reducer on rifle at nite . so you people didn`t know this happens every fall ? really ? I live out in the country and knew these deer get shot every fall in the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

Yes, I can remember the good old days when I was in the big city and as I was walking to the subway, I would see the concrete sidewalks just littered with deer sign and tracks. Kind of sad that you just don't see the amount of game downtown you once did. Must of been from over hunting. Kind of sad really.......

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't read all of the wit and wisdom but the cheap Federal loads I believe sport the 55 grain Hornaday Interlock and have worked well for several dozen deer and a few hogs for me. I think this bullet was designed for coyotes in the faster 22s but works great in the 223 for larger critters.

I limit shots to about 250 yards but that is more a reflection of my comfort level than the round. When I get around to hand loading I will try Hornadays or the Sierra 60 grain bullet and if these don't pan out the Barnes and Nosler offerings surely will.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
62 grain Fusions in .223 works very well for deer.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
These posts always crack me up when the “you’ll wish for a bigger gun” or “ you can’t take a quartering shot with a 223” guys pipe up.

With a 53gr TSX or even a plain old 55gr Hornady sp or Nosler ballistic tip you can break BOTH shoulders on deer.

I have killed a small boxcar full of deer, turkey, coyotes, pigs, crows, and various other critters in the last 2 years with a 16” barreled AR. I’ve broke shoulders, hips and pelvis Texas heart shooting pigs, through both sides of deer and pig skulls, killed stuff from all angles. 53gr TSX is hard to keep inside even 250+ pound pigs. Shot one 150-175lb sow with a 55gr hornady in the tail as she ran straight away, when I peeled the loins out of her the last three vertebrae were smashed to pieces.

Pretty fun getting to watch the impact through the scope too.

I’d be completely comfortable taking any shot I’d normally take on any deer with a 223 and a decent bullet.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have a youth Weatherby Vanguard in .223 that I start my sons out deer hunting with. My oldest son killed two deer with it (one fawn, one small 8-pointer). My middle son killed a nice doe this year.

We use Hornady Superformance 55 grain GMX ammunition and restrict our shots to < 100 yards. I have been pleased with the results so far. The boys have taken three shots, killed three deer, and none went very far.

I think it's acceptable, but I do like to move up to a larger round when they're ready. My oldest moved up to a .308 shooting reduced recoil ammo last year and is now shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor. I will probably do something similar with the middle son.

So my personal summary is that the .223 works but is non-optimal. I do appreciate that with modern bullets it gives youth a chance to make humane kills without too much recoil. Always a bonus.

SR

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
361 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.