Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4th point,

Originally Posted by 4th_point
I should have added that scopes that need turret caps installed to be waterproof (42mm SHV), are of no interest to me assuming that the elevation turret is expected to be used on a regular basis. For a "set-n-forget" scope, this is less of a concern for obvious reasons. The 50mm SHV has an exposed elevation turret, so I assume that it is "waterproof".

You're assuming too much from the wording on the NF site. The SHV's are "waterproof" in the conventional sense of being sealed against atmospheric moisture, even with the turret caps off.

To my knowledge, no rifle scopes have had turrets that actually leak water since the mid-1990's. Before then, believe it or not, two kinds of scopes would actually ship considerable water when you dunked them: really cheap scopes, and some (not all) expensive European brands. Which is why some of those expensive Euro-scopes tended to fog inside when the turret caps were removed for adjustment in moist places, such as coastal Alaska, allowing humidity to invade the scope.

In fact, several optics writers had an interesting discussion with one of the higher-ups of a major German scope company during a factory tour in 1993. When we brought up that very point about their scopes fogging, the guy looked puzzled and said, "But vy vould you effer take the caps off?" (There were two reason for his question: First, he assumed his company's scopes would never need adjustment after initial sight-in, which was not true. Second, sighting-in in Germany is frequently performed on an indoor range, often by the gunsmith who mounted the scope. Quite a few German hunters have never sighted-in their own scopes, instead leaving the job to a "professional.")

I eventually grew weary of trying to persuade one European company to seal their scope turrets, so the next time they sent me one to test, I took the caps off and left it underwater until there was some H20 sloshing around inside before, the put the caps back on and sent it back. The American president of the company got ticked off, so I explained that I could not recommend their scopes to American hunters (who do sight in their scopes, and sometimes take the caps off in damp places) until they sealed their damn turrets. That happened within a couple of years, not just because of me but other American optics writers who told him similar things.

That is NOT the case with Nightforce SHV's. In fact I just dunked one in a sink full of warm water with the caps off, something I haven't done when testing scopes for several years now, because I haven't found a scope that really leaks (like that sloshing Euro-scope) since the 1990's. Dunking scopes in warm water expands the gas inside, soon forcing bubbles through any leak. The SHV did NOT bubble at all, despite leaving it underwater for five minutes, far longer than required for this test.

This is as waterproof as hunting scopes need to be, at least for those of us who don't plan on swimming 100 feet underwater to our hunting camp.

I spent several days hunting with the elevation cap off of a 3-10 SHV in an area where I would need to dial over the past week...it got plenty of rain on it during that time and seems no worse for wear.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I have both the SHV 3-10X42 w/Forceplex and the NXS 2.5-10X42 Mil-Dot on rifles and used both this year.

Weight does not seem out of line, both rifles handle well, though neither is a "lightweight". There are small personal preferences with both that I'd change, but in a direct comparison and because of the hunting conditions I encounter, I slightly prefer the SHV, that being due to the Forceplex reticle.

If the SHV had a zero-stop and the NXS had the Forceplex, I couldn't make a choice.

[Linked Image]

They really need to do the Forceplex in the 2.5-10 NSX....and/or a zero-stopped elevation on the SHV.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Haha.

SHV’s are waterproof without the caps. No legitimate scope manufacturer is going to build a scope that isn’t. NF isn’t talking about “waterproof”, they’re talking about diving. NXS/ATACR/etc. are built and tested for diving. SHV’s are not tested for diving.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good to know if I ever decide to combine my dive trips and hunts! wink

Last edited by prm; 01/03/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Or plan on falling out the boat. (grin)

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
JMCUBIC, can I have an "Amen"!

If those two things were done I don't think I could ask for a better hunting setup....at least in my world.

I have no performance issues with either one, and to have those small issues addressed would amount to having found perfection in a hunting scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That is NOT the case with Nightforce SHV's. In fact I just dunked one in a sink full of warm water with the caps off, something I haven't done when testing scopes for several years now, because I haven't found a scope that really leaks (like that sloshing Euro-scope) since the 1990's. Dunking scopes in warm water expands the gas inside, soon forcing bubbles through any leak. The SHV did NOT bubble at all, despite leaving it underwater for five minutes, far longer than required for this test.

Thanks for the post John, and the results of your warm water dunk test. Do you think your results are representative for the whole SHV line? I don't have any experience with the SHV, nor am I knowledgeable about the design details.

I was referring to Nightforce's Limited Warranty, which states "SHV™ models maintain waterproof integrity with their protective caps installed." This is printed the owner's manual.

I agree that a 100 foot depth rating isn't needed for hunting, but found it curious that NF mentions the above multiple times. And doesn't provide a depth rating. Not that waterproof rating is at the top of most scope shoppers' lists, but dropping a scope in a few feet of ice cold water could, and has happened. And might be worse than a warm water dunk?

For conversation, Bushnell Tacticals are rated to 3 feet, Trijicons to 10 feet, and I believe SWFA to 15 feet. Again, just seems a little odd to me that instead of a depth rating, NF states that the scope is waterproof with the caps installed.

To me, not knowing anything about the SHV, the literature from NF indicates that there is a potential failure mode. If they did their homework during product development, validation testing was done, the risk assessed, and the risk addressed with a counter measure. The counter measure being that customers are told that the product is waterproof, only with the caps installed. This is standard operating procedure for product development, unless they are just winging it in Orofino.

I don't believe that any, well most grin, companies would go to trouble of making the above mentioned statement in the warranty literature if there was minimal risk. Especially when their marketing department reviews the jargon in the warranty. Anything that can hurt their sales is frowned upon.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/03/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
JMCUBIC, can I have an "Amen"!

If those two things were done I don't think I could ask for a better hunting setup....at least in my world.

I have no performance issues with either one, and to have those small issues addressed would amount to having found perfection in a hunting scope.

Yes sir. If I had to chose between the two scopes....I guess I'd go with the Forceplex in the NSX....maybe.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have ran several model NSXs over the years, still have one an a heavy gun which has been there for. 6 or 7 years. As others have said they are tough reliable spinners that are a little on the heavy side. As an optics loony I will have to say I agree with a few others as well that the glass, while good, is not up to par with other alpha glass in the same price range, it just never seemed as sharp or bright to me. The older I get the more I like a heavier reticle for hunting like a #4, reticles are where the newer NF hunting lines don’t do it for me.

Happy New Years all and be safe.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I'd go with the Forceplex in the NSX.

My inclination, also.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Duplex reticles make sense in a non-illuminated scope, but with the illuminated NXS I want a thin reticle, certainly no thicker than an MOAR. MOAR-T or the old NP reticles are what I choose, but I can see them just fine. A friend looking at the same target with my MOAR-T says he can't see it, even after adjusting the ocular. I think he needs glasses or something, but whatever the problem, the thin NXS reticles do not work for him. I love 'em, and if I am ever in a situation where I can't see the reticle I just pop the illumination on.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nightforce’s solution to seeing the reticle in low light is illumination. Purely personal preference, but I prefer to not have an extra knob, battery and electrical function on my scope when I can get all the capability I need with good glass, which they have, and well designed reticle. No argument that their solution works, I prefer simplicity. I can live with the non-illuminated Forceplex which has a 5 MOA wide thin bar, 2.5 per side and .75 MOA thick main bars. If it had just a bit more windage reference and a bit thicker main bars I’d be very happy. Perhaps a tick mark at 2 MOA and a thicker 1 MOA bar starting at 4 MOA from the center?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

They really need to do the Forceplex in the 2.5-10 NSX....and/or a zero-stopped elevation on the SHV.

Yes, please.

Am not alone, I believe, in saying would spring for the nsx but for lack of reticles suitable to varied hunting conditions. So looking to take an SHV for a spin instead, which should be fine, but note to Nightforce: you'd have sold another more expensive scope if you offered it in a forceplex/similar.

Last edited by sandcritter; 01/04/19.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Nightforce’s solution to seeing the reticle in low light is illumination. Purely personal preference, but I prefer to not have an extra knob, battery and electrical function on my scope when I can get all the capability I need with good glass, which they have, and well designed reticle. No argument that their solution works, I prefer simplicity. I can live with the non-illuminated Forceplex which has a 5 MOA wide thin bar, 2.5 per side and .75 MOA thick main bars. If it had just a bit more windage reference and a bit thicker main bars I’d be very happy. Perhaps a tick mark at 2 MOA and a thicker 1 MOA bar starting at 4 MOA from the center?

Something like Leupold's Windplex........call it the ForcedAir.......God, I'm funny

I do like that idea, and no more complicated than that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by prm

Something like Leupold's Windplex........call it the ForcedAir.......God, I'm funny

Yep, dial elevation, hold windage...

I’m surprised more manufacturers don’t have plex reticles with windage marks only.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by prm
Nightforce’s solution to seeing the reticle in low light is illumination. Purely personal preference, but I prefer to not have an extra knob, battery and electrical function on my scope when I can get all the capability I need with good glass, which they have, and well designed reticle. No argument that their solution works, I prefer simplicity.

1. There is no extra knob on the NXS - you just pull the parallax knob out.
2. Needing to take a shot IN A HURRY in low light is a once-in-a-decade situation, having a big reticle blocking my view happens every time I use the scope.
3. Replace the 2032 battery in the NXS every couple of years and there are no worries.
4. That said, I usually go with Trijicon's battery-free illumination when hunting. But either way, I want illumination, not a big reticle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Give me a decent fatty in the glass and I'll buy one. The lights can get dim in the woods long before it does out in the open. Have yet to have a HD or PD block enough of a Deer that it was a problem.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm

Or.....GaleForceplex......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by prm

Yep, dial elevation, hold windage...

I’m surprised more manufacturers don’t have plex reticles with windage marks only.

Huskemaw.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, 3-12X42 has that. At least that'ed be the one I'd be interested in.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (2UP, 338reddog, 35, 44mc, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,501 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,582
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.