-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have this High Standard Victor that belonged to my late uncle, in that case with it was a package of springs from Brownells. I’d say it contained all the springs in the gun, like a rebuild kit. Is that the sort of thing you’d keep to have the spare parts or would you only have it if it needed a rebuild? I guess I’m asking if these are typically hard on springs and if it’s something you’d always have with you? I shot a couple magazines of that Rem ammo and it did hang up once or twice. Pretty nice gun to shoot tho.
[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In my experience the HS are not any harder on springs than any other semi. I have a Trophy 🏆 model and a Victor they are very well made and accurate. I’m not a fane of Remington rimfire Ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Try some other brand of ammo, as jwp475 noted. Use only standard velocity ammo, though, they are noted for cracking frames if used with HV ammo. I'd suggest CCI Standard Velocity ammo, or Aguila SE-SV, or some of the European ammo. Yep, the latter is pricey, but it's made awfully well. Just stick with the standard velocity stuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a nice set up. I suspect the original owner tried different ammunition in that pistol. My 41 likes Remington target also.
The HS pistols have most of their problems with the Magazines. The lip adjustment is critical. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a target pistol & not intended for HV ammo.

I have a HS Trophy model from my competitive days & it's not hard on springs & neither were any of the guns used by any other members on my team or the club.

Victors were a dressed up model & are nice look guns; if you have any interest in selling it at anytime, let me know, I'd be interested depending on price.

MM

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice pistol... it's been ages since I shot a Victor but a pal had one (mine was an HD Military) and his was not finicky. I will second those who suggested standard velocity CCI ammo. I would give that chamber a good scrubbing as well.

Last edited by SargeMO; 01/05/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I expect an old pistol like that’s owner shot bullseye. Probably tried a lot of std vel ammo. The Remington probably shot the best.
[Linked Image]

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
nice pistol, the pistol is very accurate and reliable if magazines are properly tuned. I have several. send me a pm if you would like to sell it.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My uncle was a long range shooter, he also shot indoor small bore and air rifle in the winter. I really don’t know that he shot small bore handgun much but he must’ve at least a little. He had a couple Winchester 52’s and all sorts of target ammo, I’m guessing the Rem Target stuff was in there for a reason. I talked to him about a lot of the stuff he had before he passed away, but the Victor didn’t come up other than him saying he had it. I wish it had.

NRA Endowment Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes you need the spring kit. High Standard's are hard on the recoil spring, it is captive and wears as it cycles. The other springs not so much. Victors are about as good as it gets.

IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Victors are about as good as it gets.

That they are.
Bob

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
RememberBaker - speaking as an uncle that shoots ALOT (specifically .22s of all shapes and sizes😄) your uncle did have that ammo in there for a reason and the Remington Target from that era shot a lot better than newer Remington offerings and, as Hasbeen1945 has shown, is standard velocity. There is a bunch of good info on RimfireCentral under the High Standard section that will explain the spring issue in all the detail you might be interested in. Great pistols and one of the ones I shoot is easily the most accurate .22 semi that I own - shoot the daylights out of it - your uncle would like that 😊.

PennDog

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 47 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,001
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.