Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I would go with 40 grain VMAX if you gun is accurate with them. In my guns (so far) they have been almost as accurate as the ballistic tip ... no noticeable difference in the field ... and a little more explosive.

I wouldn't stock up on 'em, but if you want to try a box or two for fun, the little stubby 35 grain VMAX can be fun at short range.

Tom

The 35 grain VMax reminded me of this..

the 35 grain NTX lead free version... 35 grains, but the length of the 50 grain V Max...
and it can be rocketed in the 4400 fps range....due to its weight...

I was just looking in the Nosler and Hodgdon load data for 223 with 35 gr bullet and cannot find any load that achieves over 3900 fps, with most of them nearer 3800 fps for top end loads. What load data are you using to get 4400 fps with the 35 gr NTX?

That could be an interesting combo if one can safely get 4400 fps out of it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
You can't, from a 223 Rem, you might get 3900 and change. 4400 fps isn't possible. You have to step up to a Swift or similar. He's quoting about the bullet from information that Hornady has published.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
. For 50s I like Speer TNTs...very frangible and I often find them by the 1000 Accurate too.

My favorite bullet for a slow twist 223

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
You can't, from a 223 Rem, you might get 3900 and change. 4400 fps isn't possible. You have to step up to a Swift or similar. He's quoting about the bullet from information that Hornady has published.

While normally I would agree with you, but a 30 grain w/Accurate 2200 loaded to 62,350 psi clocks out of a 24” tube 4300+ and a 35 @ 4150. Longer tube, tight chamber and guts then who knows. As far as the Swift, 4050 w/52 to 4435 w/45. Burnt up that tube quick.

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
He was asking about a 223 Rem and getting 4400 fps with a 35 gr. Hornady. He's not going to get 4400 fps from a 223 using any 35 grain bullet - safely. shocked

Originally Posted by drover
I was just looking in the Nosler and Hodgdon load data for 223 with 35 gr bullet and cannot find any load that achieves over 3900 fps, with most of them nearer 3800 fps for top end loads. What load data are you using to get 4400 fps with the 35 gr NTX?

drover

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I would go with 40 grain VMAX if you gun is accurate with them. In my guns (so far) they have been almost as accurate as the ballistic tip ... no noticeable difference in the field ... and a little more explosive.

I wouldn't stock up on 'em, but if you want to try a box or two for fun, the little stubby 35 grain VMAX can be fun at short range.

Tom

the 35 grain NTX lead free version... 35 grains, but the length of the 50 grain V Max...

drover

Actually I was hoping Seafire would respond to this and clarify it. The way it is written in the reply to the post - "Re: For P. Dogs and Gophers and the ,223 what wt. bullet!!" - it appears to be in reference to a 223 with the 35 gr NTX getting 4400 fps. I was would like to know if that was a typo or if it was in reference to some other cartridge achieving that velocity with the 35 gr NTX. I do not see anything in any manuals suggesting more than 3900 fps out of a 223 using a 35 gr bullet.

Going back to Seafire's post on page 1 he wrote about the 22/250 but in reference to 40 and 53 gr bullets, I expect that he may have meant to say he was getting 4400 fps out of a 22/250 and the 35 gr bullets. Hopefully he will read this and clear it up.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
He was asking about a 223 Rem and getting 4400 fps with a 35 gr. Hornady. He's not going to get 4400 fps from a 223 using any 35 grain bullet - safely. shocked

drover

So you are essentially testifying you have tried to see what might be the max velocity obtainable, personally...

or are you going to use the old campfire tried and trued excuse of " I'm smart enough to know that it is physically impossible... and if someone does, it can't possibly be safe".. is that what you are telling us, instead of telling us you've personally never really tried to see what the max velocity might be? Therefore, just making a guess?

I'll share load data with folks I trust and respect on here.... not naythesayers acting like they are smarter than most other folks on here....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

No I'm not quoting Hornady... another ASS-UMPTION on your part...

Have YOU ever even worked with a 35 grain NTX?

or a 24 grain NTX in 20 caliber?

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Poor fellow.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S

Tom

drover

Actually I was hoping Seafire would respond to this and clarify it. The way it is written in the reply to the post - "Re: For P. Dogs and Gophers and the ,223 what wt. bullet!!" - it appears to be in reference to a 223 with the 35 gr NTX getting 4400 fps. I was would like to know if that was a typo or if it was in reference to some other cartridge achieving that velocity with the 35 gr NTX. I do not see anything in any manuals suggesting more than 3900 fps out of a 223 using a 35 gr bullet.

Going back to Seafire's post on page 1 he wrote about the 22/250 but in reference to 40 and 53 gr bullets, I expect that he may have meant to say he was getting 4400 fps out of a 22/250 and the 35 gr bullets. Hopefully he will read this and clear it up.

drover

I think you're right. He probably meant to say that, but had a senior moment. Now he's trying to deflect his misstep by barking at me. A toothless dog. Too bad he's so full of anger that he cannot stick with the subject at hand.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FWIW, Hornady MAX data with the 35gr. NTX for the 223 is 600 fps. slower than 4400 fps....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wrong again Snowflake....

Might be full of chuckling at you....

hey ya don't wanna believe it, then don't....

pretty simple concept...

but it shows... you've never worked with that bullet, and you've never tried to see what potential max velocity might be with it, have ya....

thought so...[Linked Image]

223, 35 NTX, Ruger 77 VT

Then there is faster velocities out of a 22.250...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ruger 77 Mk 2, in 22.250.... 35 NTX Hornady

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And to think I survived working up these loads...

and the Ruger survived..

and the Brass survived to be used multiple reloads...

yeah a little hands on experience goes a lot further than just philosophizing about handloading
or Regurgitating what you might read in some load manual... when you look at a load manual
do you pay attention to what pressure they might say is max load?
or maybe you might even be thinking that this is a powder that might be listed in your load manual info?

decisions, decisions, decisions...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There you go. If you could manage to stop being so hateful, and explain yourself, things would be better for you.

Just so you know, I do not believe that the picture of a chrono displaying 4417 fps was a 223 reading. Have fun.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
There you go. If you could manage to stop being so hateful, and explain yourself, things would be better for you.

Just so you know, I do not believe that the picture of a chrono displaying 4417 fps was a 223 reading. Have fun.

Steve,

Go to your room.

The adults are talking.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
One thing for sure, The water in Southern Oregon has to be tested. One would have to wonder how 2 rifles got blown up loading H335.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have thousands of 50 Vmax and 50 gr. Blitzking bought before I retired 20 years ago.. But I have been shooting 40 gr. Vmax in my .223's... I am about to make a short order with Midway, and thought of picking up a few thousand 40 gr. Vmax.. I like the performance I get with these, but kind of wondered how folks felt about the 50's... I did have some trouble with bullets bouncing across the fields when I shot them out of my .222, never noticed it with .223.. What wt. do you favor for the .223?????

At least you got a few answers. It sounds like you have an excuse to order some more 40 gr. VMaxes and start testing. Not that you need an excuse to go shooting. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WCH, since I don’t have many places to dog shoot my favorites are 50-52 and 55’s for the 223. 3500 for 50, 3450 for 52’s and close to 3400 w/55’s using Benchmark and 24” tube is easily attainable and all the velocity needed for yotes.
If I need more velocity I jump to a 22.250 or a 220 Swift.
The only time I played with 40’s was to see how fast I could push them. They were accurate enough and helped me finish off that Swift barrel, since rebarreled I have not had the urge to see if I could bust that 4500 w/26” tube instead of 24.

Steve Redgwell, as I said published data for 556 gets damn close to his velocity’s as I myself have no desire at this time to load that hot, I can’t say that it’s impossible w/26” or longer tube. According to Cooper I wasn’t supposed to be getting 4050 out of a 24” tube with a 52 and 1/2 grain under max w/2700 but I did. So again I can’t say for certain that 4400 is impossible.

[Linked Image]

Swifty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Swifty.

I would have to see evidence of the 35 gr. Hornady bullet managing 4400 fps or more safely. I'm afraid a picture of a chronograph screen doesn't do it for me.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

One of 2 things, a broken chronograph or not a 223...

Last edited by shrapnel; 01/05/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.