Print Thread
Hop To
C
CORDrew Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm in the process of building my first AR, and I'm deciding on my upper. I'm looking for a good winter project and want to have a fun gun to shoot when I'm done. I came across Ghost Firearms/Grid Defense uppers on sale. They have several options with nitrided free float barrels, and cerakoted hand guards and receivers, on sale for what seems like a good price. Anyone have any experience with these or other Ghost/Grid products? Mostly curious about accuracy, reliability, and quality control or lack thereof. Seems like the PSA is the the major competitor in the decent cheap project AR category...

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please don't buy that stuff.

They don't offer any specs on any of their stuff other than "M16" and "mil-spec". There's no reason to spend money with a company who either doesn't care what their parts are made of, doesn't know why it matters, or is catering to a customer base who doesn't know or care.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sums it up rather well.......................

MM

C
CORDrew Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and agree with what you said about not purchasing from companies unless they are up-front and transparent about their products. However, they do list component materials/specs on their website. Barrel is listed as 4150 steel with nitride coating. Uppers (and lowers) are listed as machined from forged 7075 T6 aluminum. They list other specs for other parts too. I've been reading about general recommendations on specs for various parts while researching purchases, but I probably need a crash course in metallurgy. What specs do you look for when selecting parts? I'm not at all attached to this upper or this company, I'm just trying to learn what to look for. They do use the phrase "mil-spec" alot.... What other companies should I look at?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They list *some* of the specs, kinda.

They don't list what the gas port size of the barrel is.
The don't list if the barrel is MPI / HPT tested (individually or batched).
They don't list what the barrel is chambered in (they list both .223 and 5.56......which is it?)
They don't list what the rail is made of.
They don't list what steel the bolt carrier is made of.
They don't list what the bolt is made of and whether it's MPI / HPT (individually or batched).
They don't list what the charging handle is made of.
They don't list what the buffer tube is made of.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,268 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.