Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
carney Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've shooting my new compound bow for 10 years and I'm happy. Upgraded to a wonderful drop away arrow to shoot a few years ago with the set-up. Interestingly, what a significant improvement with today's bows. The only thing I can think of is the lowest level of sound at the same arrow speed. Interested in the experiences of those who have tried to shoot different bows in the last 10 years.

Last edited by carney; 01/07/19.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think the ability to have a higher brace height without giving up a lot of speed. I don’t have the time to shoot like I did when I was a teenager so I need a more forgiving bow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think they really turned the corner on bows with the parallel limb technology. Then they started working on speed and brace height, which has also improved. Aggressive cams and eliminating shock on the bow when shot has made today's bows quite easy to shoot and shoot well.

Parallel limbs, speed and ease of shooting today's bow can be found in almost any brand made today. I don't know how much farther they can expand bows to improve on what we can buy today...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The million dollar question is...how far forward can the archery industry improve the present technology? The archery industry has had another BAD year, the third bad year in a row. Small and medium-sized Bow manufacturers are going to start closing. As an example demand for Muzzleloading rifles peaked in 2007/2008 and has been on a downward spiral since.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by carney
I have been shooting my compound bow for 10 years and happy with it. Upgraded to nice drop away arrow rest a couple of years ago with tune up. Curious what significant improvements with today’s bows. Only thing I can think of that would interest me is lower sound level with same arrow speed. Interested in experiences of those who have experienced shooting different bows last 10 years.

I shoot a Mathews No-Cam. It is the quietest of any bow I have shot or been on the line with. I don't know how importantthat really is though, I also shoot an Excalibur Matrix 330 and that thing kills 4 deer every year and it's anything but quiet.

There really is not a lot speed or accuracy or noise left to wring out of compound bow any more. Crossbows can probably get a little more speed, but not enough to reall make a difference. Crossbows definitely can get a lot quieter, but the question becomes why and at what cost.

Absent any radical design changes that's what is probable. Until we can get a couple hundred FPS more speed it won't make a lot of difference.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
As noted, I think the only real upgrade has been in the noise/vibration areas. Until this fall, I've hunted with a couple of older Bowtechs (Experience/Invasion). Every year, I'd shoot the latest and greatest from Bowtech, Hoyt and Mathews and just couldn't pull the trigger....even with my mastery of rationalization). This fall, I added a Mathews Triax to the stable for stand/blind hunting. It shoots within a couple FPS of the Bowtechs (400g arrow at 395fps) but was quieter/shock free. Out to 40yds, I shoot it at least as well as the Bowtechs. However, beyond 40, I shoot the Bowtechs considerably better (I'm assuming its my form as I've seen some folks shoot it very well at long range). For my whitetail/boar hunting, it is great. However, I would leave it home on a western hunt where my shots have averaged nearly 50 yds over the years. The difference in technology the last 20 years has been amazing (I'm shooting 60lb bows faster than 70lb bows, and doing it quiter and shock free). My hunch is we're at or nearing the peak for the combination of speed, shock, noise and shootability. I hope I'm wrong.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Changes have improved sound, vibration, speed and forgiveness, now they are moving to easy adjust-ability for draw length and now even weight. More and more towards no press needed for most bow work.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I've bow hunted on and off since 1986

Range of Adjustment - you can easily find several bows now that will grow with your kids, matching their draw lengths and draw weights from youth into adulthood.

Parallel limbs - easier to press without special tools, can be "field" pressed if needed for repair.

Cam modules - changing the draw length without a major disassembly.

Bow Weight and materials - lighter stiff risers, non-laminated limbs, and less "stretch" in the string/cables over time.

JMHO...not all advances are on the bow...

Carbon arrows - I drove past the first place I saw and shot a carbon arrow. It was a solid carbon fiber shaft, with a 4 inch overdraw, and they had a reputation for exploding at random times on the shot.

The nock and the field points were glued over the end of the shaft, and the vanes were almost touching at the bases. I can't remember what the diameter was, but it was "tiny" compared to the aluminum of the day.

Arrows have come as far as the bows have.

What's next?

Affordability - the $1K and up bows are are going to have to come down, or the demand will need to increase - the demand signal isn't there from what I see.

With the decline in numbers of hunters afield, and the increase in cheap functional crossbows on the market, the bow market is going need to seek new ground.

Raw speed isn't the selling point it used to be, and lack of break-through design changes are having an impact on the major manufactures - IMHO.

It will interesting to see what the ATA has to release.

Last edited by AH64guy; 01/07/19.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Firenock full capture arrow rest. Ceramic ball bearings, hardly any friction, good accuracy, never had any fletching issues.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
A family member bought a carbon Hoyt bow when they first came out and I remember liking the feel of it and how it wouldn’t be as cold to grab after hours in a tree stand (especially since I hate to wear gloves when I’m hunting). And now Bowtech has a carbon bow that you can get fully equipped for under $750. When I’m ready to upgrade from my Sniper, that’s probably what I’ll get

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
10 years ?, not much. Limb technology and string material, that's about it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What about sights? There are sights available now which range for you at the touch of a pressure pad, including compensation for angle up or down, calculate trajectory and show a lighted pin at the calculated hold point. I haven't tried one myself, but the concept seems impressive. Certainly a long way from the bare longbow I started with.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I think they really turned the corner on bows with the parallel limb technology. Then they started working on speed and brace height, which has also improved. Aggressive cams and eliminating shock on the bow when shot has made today's bows quite easy to shoot and shoot well.

Parallel limbs, speed and ease of shooting today's bow can be found in almost any brand made today. I don't know how much farther they can expand bows to improve on what we can buy today...

+1, each year they make minor tweaks mostly to get a little more speed. Usually at the sacrifice of brace height. I have a Carbon Defiant 2017 model that I really like. It's a short little bugger at 30" but shoots excellent. I use it to shoot indoor leagues all winter, a few 3D's in the summer and as an elk killer come fall. I shoot it as well as any bow I have ever owned. Would have never guessed that I'd shoot a 30" bow as well as the older 38"+ bows of the past but my scores tell the tale. (440+ / 450 Vegas or ~50X 300's on the NFAA face). I think one of the major changes to come along is learning to properly shoot a hinge type release. They work wonders to make one actually hold the pin on the target and execute a good shot.

Last edited by centershot; 01/15/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve been bowhunting avidly (fanatically some would say) for 42 years. Not sure how many bows ive, owned, but not an excessive number. In recent years I have always had two bows, one is a back up when I go on hunting trips.
Frankly, I don’t think there have been great improvements the past ten years. They have been incremental and slowing. Some say shootability, smoothness, and other non measurable factors have improved. Maybe, maybe not. I believe that speed has come up 5-10% in the past ten years but mostly in the first part of those ten years.
I can afford any bow I want and could buy a new one or two every year, if I wanted. I’m shooting two 4-5 year bows. They were higher end bows when I bought them and have worked very well for me.
I don’t even look at new bows today. I hear a top end from one manufacturer is $15-1600. By the time the thing gets a rest, sights ets, it’s two grand. I could buy one easily, but it ain’t happening.
Kinda off target and rambling here a bit but, ..........

NRA Patron
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by centershot
I think one of the major changes to come along is learning to properly shoot a hinge type release. They work wonders to make one actually hold the pin on the target and execute a good shot.

A Hinge Release is NOT for everybody. It takes commitment to shoot one safely. The average bowhunter is better off sticking to a trigger release. No doubt a hinge will improve ones shooting for the most part.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by centershot
I think one of the major changes to come along is learning to properly shoot a hinge type release. They work wonders to make one actually hold the pin on the target and execute a good shot.

A Hinge Release is NOT for everybody. It takes commitment to shoot one safely. The average bowhunter is better off sticking to a trigger release. No doubt a hinge will improve ones shooting for the most part.

Depends on how serious about your bowhunting you are. Every year new guys show up to shoot leagues, most shoot pretty good with a trigger for a week or two. Then expectations show up and so does target panic. A hinge is the best thing I have ever seen to get over that obstacle. One thing for sure, the first few shot with a trigger after shooting a hinge all winter are magic.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve been bowhunting avidly (fanatically some would say) for 42 years. Not sure how many bows ive, owned, but not an excessive number. In recent years I have always had two bows, one is a back up when I go on hunting trips.
Frankly, I don’t think there have been great improvements the past ten years. They have been incremental and slowing. Some say shootability, smoothness, and other non measurable factors have improved. Maybe, maybe not. I believe that speed has come up 5-10% in the past ten years but mostly in the first part of those ten years.
I can afford any bow I want and could buy a new one or two every year, if I wanted. I’m shooting two 4-5 year bows. They were higher end bows when I bought them and have worked very well for me.
I don’t even look at new bows today. I hear a top end from one manufacturer is $15-1600. By the time the thing gets a rest, sights ets, it’s two grand. I could buy one easily, but it ain’t happening.
Kinda off target and rambling here a bit but, ..........

Could you imagine back in the early 1980's saying that there would be bows that cost upwards of $2k in 30 years? Could have won lots of money on that bet back then. I have seen hunting sights hanging on the wall at the local shop in excess of $300. Even crazier, they sell.

Last edited by centershot; 01/16/19.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
12 years ago my bow sight cost $150.
HHA w Viper front swapped in.
Loved it.

Had last time I reflected, about 30 diff compounds and close to 40 recurves over the years.
Got just one now and am happy.

Blackwidow HS, 58". Made in '91 so FF rated.

I'd like a new PCH, but $1200 bucks is a lot of money. I'm just a casual bow shooter these days.
Did pay $980 for my last new Blackwidow.
Shot the pizz outta that thing for about 5 yrs, sold it for $600.

Freakin' bargain! Can't put a price on all the fun I had with that thing (killed only a half dozen deer with it though).

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I shot a trigger release (Fletchunter wrist models) for decades.

Run my triggers kinda heavy, and am super picky on DL.
I pull the trigger while also pulling bow harder in stops.
It's slight, but works very well for me.
There is no anticipation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
I shot a trigger release (Fletchunter wrist models) for decades.

Run my triggers kinda heavy, and am super picky on DL.
I pull the trigger while also pulling bow harder in stops.
It's slight, but works very well for me.
There is no anticipation.

Nothing more accurate than shooting as you describe. As long as you can shoot without anticipation - I get a few good shots off then start getting a little punchy. Archery can be quite a mental battle.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I upgraded back in 2010 - Hoyt Carbon Matrix 60lbs draw , I'll never need a better bow at age 59 .
I remember when Motocross bikes had topped out - the factory touting the upcoming model lost 2 grams off the read brake pads - we're there with bows - been there .
The prices are ridiculous proven by the resale , any name brand bow with quality sight/arrows/broadheads will suffice for hunting . High dollar bows don't close the deal - Archers do .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the biggest change in compound bows is the higher price.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I have a Matthews Outback that is about 10-12 years old. Have they improved over this bow? Yes, but not the point where I'd dish out $1100-1500 to chase a few feet per second. With a 55# draw weight it shoots my arrows at 270fps. I've never not had an arrow blow completely through a deer. Most times sticking into the ground behind it.

The biggest improvement I see is the noise. I set my daughter up with a Mission Craze and it's VERY quite.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.