-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've shot one deer with the 140 FS. Offered a Texas heart shot, then turned to look back. Hit just behind left shoulder, exited right side neck. Head was still low. Dropped right there, raspberry jelly for lungs. I liked it, but can't hunt CA with it any more.

One bear with the 130TTSX, hunched over a log down hill looking at me. Drilled her in the left breast, exited between the last two ribs on the right after drilling a hole I her spine. Again, rolled over with feet in the air and never moved.

Sean
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My 270 really likes 140gn Nosler BT's, so, when I decided to try a TSX (2006-ish), 140 seemed the logical 1st step. Accuracy and velocity was/is superb with Ramshot Hunter in Rem cases which allows me to run prepped brass through a Dillon 550 very quickly. So, I didn't even try 130's. Since then I've killed better than a dozen deer, 2 caribou, and a cow elk with the 140's. I've also used the same loads for a couple friends and family members accounting for several more deer, 1 more caribou, and at least 3 more elk that I can think of.

I'm sure there's nothing I've done with the 140's that I couldn't have also done with 130's, I've just had such good consistent results with the 140's that there's no good reason to change at this point.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks guys....Hey Horse ( said in a whisper, ha) how fast do feel you are shooting that 130 with Hunter? Care to share your load ( I like to have info for 'guidelines", I don't just load something up)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by CRS
I have seen Barnes 130 and 140's used on elk. Could not tell the difference with none recovered.

I have used the 110 TSX on quite a few deer, antelope, hogs, black buck and Axis deer. They worked, but have since settled on just using 130gr monometals of any flavor in my 270's. I let the rifle tell me which particular brand it likes.

CRS. Any problems with the 110TTSX on deer, hogs, etc? My 270 likes it at about 3200. Interested in your experience with its terminal performance. Thx.

Never had any issues with them. Just got to the point where they did not seem to offer anything over the 130's at my normal hunting ranges. Recovered two of them, perfectly expanded and 100% weight retention after full length wise penetration on mature whitetails. No terminal performance issues at all.

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll give them a try.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Thanks guys....Hey Horse ( said in a whisper, ha) how fast do feel you are shooting that 130 with Hunter? Care to share your load ( I like to have info for 'guidelines", I don't just load something up)

3050fps through 5 different 22" factory barrels from Winchester and Remington. 57gn Ramshot Hunter w/Win Large Rifle primers in FF and minimally bushing sized Rem brass. ES <20fps and SD 8-9FPS. I can get exact numbers late in the week. Chrono results are via LabRadar.

Last edited by horse1; 01/08/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
That's exact enough, ha. I said 130 but meant 140, as per your post. It seems no one has really had any failures to expand from either weight. Our mule deer are not super large, though bigger than most whitetail in the South. We used to be able to shoot Private Land hogs before Utah decided to outlaw the practice. There were only two places ( well, that I knew of) and we killed some big hogs off both places. Now I have to go to Texas or Missouri to shoot them. I hunt far more antelope/Mule Deer than I do elk. I will probably start out seeing if the rifle likes the 130TTSX first. Thanks again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim: why would the state outlaw shooting hogs??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Antelope Island State Park officials reported earlier this month that a feral pig was spotted near the causeway between Syracuse and the largest island on the Great Salt Lake.

The pig is believed to have returned to where it came from, which happens to be privately held Fremont Island just to the north of Antelope Island and west of Hooper. This was not the first time the exotic Eurasian pigs had been spotted near the causeway — but it might be the last.

The most recent sighting prompted federal and state wildlife and agricultural officials to visit Fremont Island on Tuesday and kill 10 of the feral pigs."

"They could expose any domestic populations to disease. We have a huge swine production facility outside of Milford that would be severely impacted if disease got there," Hess said. "These Eurasian-type boars are extremely adept at survival in the wild and they are extremely destructive to the land. This is the reason the Legislature put a ban on hunting them. We just can't afford to have them running wild."

The 2012 Utah Legislature passed a bill that made it illegal to release swine on public or private property for hunting purposes. Hess said it is also illegal to import and to hunt Russian boars or other Eurasian pigs."

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57038093&itype=CMSID

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I was out hunting with a good friend of mine at his ranch here in S Tx and he was looking to take out an old buck that he didn’t want chasing and breeding any does. So as we were riding around we spoted the buck on one of the senderos so slid out the vehicle and grabbed his Ruger #1 in 270 Bee loaded with factory Barnes tipped 130s.

He used a back pack for support and set himself up prone position. We estimated the buck was around 400 yds. Now what really helped in this scenario is he had his suppressor on his rifle and I told him line up your cross hair in line with his back and let it rip. I was watching this all this through my binos and I here the rifle go off and see that the 130 Barnes hit him center of the lungs and hear the thump loud and clear. Good shot a tell him. As the slug hit the the buck I could see the impact into the ground on the other side and as the buck swings around to head back into the brush I could see the blood squirt on the off side but the buck didn’t flinch or anything upon impact. So we drive up and see the blood and recovered him about 50 yards in. We later measured the shot and it was exactly 403 yds. So the 130s at Bee speeds is pretty impressive. By the way that was his first kill with the Ruger as he had just bought during the summer.

MAGA! This is the way!
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
SouthTX, yep Azar spelled it out. They were afraid they'd get out and make a mess...which they may have! Lord knows they can & do anywhere they can, ha. It was just nice to arrange a "hunt" and got out and kill a hog. It was not a "hunt" though they acted pretty shy of men and they would bum-rush you if you got close. I liked them as they make "terrific" bullet testers! ha
I would think a 270 Weatherby would be pretty wicked. I've used 7mm Mags/120 Barnes and 257 Weatherby/100 TSX and they were greased lightning. I don't hardly ever shoot at unwounded game over 300yds. I have never shot one past 375yds, and only a handful of them in my hunting lifetime. My "average" kills on elk out here is 190 yards! Mule deer are even closer. My average pronghorn...212yds! So, my "on target velocity" of a 270 Win at those ranges are going to be close to the Bee's out around 400 or so, heck, maybe closer, ha.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 01/10/19.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prolly 129 LRX

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.