Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
If you plan on applying for a Colorado elk license on April 2, be aware:

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; or 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents).

Qualifying licenses for the 2019 big game drawing will be available for purchase on March 1, 2019.

Application for residents is now $7 and Small Game is $24

Application fee for NR is now $9. Small Game is $80

Resident for Turkey is $29,75 for Springs .Since the deadline to apply for Spring Turkey is Feb 1, I think, If you draw that would be a qualifying license.If you don't draw,you must buy the small game license

So make sure you buy these before you apply.

I did not see any such requirements for OTC licenses if they are purchased online or at a vendor.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will add

The big 4 point will now cost residents $50 for each species and $100 per point for non residents

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes buy before you apply!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I will add

The big 4 point will now cost residents $50 for each species and $100 per point for non residents

I don't know what the "big 4" are. Moose, mtn goat & bighorn sheep go to $50. What's the 4th?

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH!

My only thought is this is to limit the numbers of applicants since changing the application process last year where you didn't have to put up the $$$ at application time. I love CO, but other states have elk and I'm going to have to start researching elsewhere.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most other states have had these types of fees for years. Glad Colorado finally did it. I quit applying in NM, UT, and AZ for this reason years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH!

My only thought is this is to limit the numbers of applicants since changing the application process last year where you didn't have to put up the $$$ at application time. I love CO, but other states have elk and I'm going to have to start researching elsewhere.

Yes, same as half the west. Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Arizona all have similar set ups. Or $14 applications with $50 preference point fees and "special" prices in Wyoming if you prefer. Colorado isn't the only game in town, but others done similar for years. Good luck

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH! .

That's it.I posted because a person has to have that tag before even applying. I figure a lot of people that wait until the last minute are going to be in for a big surprise. Initially every one said NR tags were not going up.The base price of the tag isn't, it will still cost $89 to apply instead of $3 .

A lot of people think these increases are just dandy and some how are going to get us better big game management .My bet most of it will be used for administrative cost..Most that are in favor of it some how think it will mean less hunter pressure. I doubt that too.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the 411

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Are there any changes if a non resident is just applying for preference points for elk & mule deer ?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than your $89 donation, no other changes. And thanks in advance.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RShooter
Are there any changes if a non resident is just applying for preference points for elk & mule deer ?

For sheep, goat and moose it is $100 now. Found this in the FAQ list.

In 2019, preference point fees will only be charged for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat applications. Preference point fees for each of these species will be $50 for residents and $100 for nonresidents. There are no longer preference point fees for elk, deer, pronghorn, or bear.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/07/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My answer is above!

Last edited by Sako76; 01/07/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I will add

I don't know what the "big 4" are. Moose, mtn goat & bighorn sheep go to $50. What's the 4th?

Desert Bighorn

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I will add

Desert Bighorn

No points for Desert Bighorn-----straight draw.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A person could probably put a good payment down on a Canadian moose hunt by the time they bought enough non resident points to actually draw a tag.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Here are the links: Fees

FAQs of why Colo wants more money

Note, there is a meeting of the commissioners in the next week that might result in additional minor adjustments to what is posted here, so check back if interested or concerned.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH! .

That's it.I posted because a person has to have that tag before even applying. I figure a lot of people that wait until the last minute are going to be in for a big surprise. Initially every one said NR tags were not going up.The base price of the tag isn't, it will still cost $89 to apply instead of $3 .

A lot of people think these increases are just dandy and some how are going to get us better big game management .My bet most of it will be used for administrative cost..Most that are in favor of it some how think it will mean less hunter pressure. I doubt that too.

Thanks. I'm not trying to 'shoot the messenger'. It's just frustrating.

As it initially posted. I have to 1) see this a a way of walking back the basically free application from last year floodingthe system or 2) part of some other ends to a means. I just apply for cow tags to enjoy a western hunt and get some good meat. Last year was the first time in years I didn't draw initially; I picked up a left over tag, which ironically, was one of the tags I didn't draw my first try crazy

Hey, if they want to increase tags, its their right just as much as it's mine to go elsewhere. I just wish they'd revert to the old system and charge an increase to people who actually get drawn.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
You might get on theCPW web site Look under "things to do", "Hunting" ,"Big Game" and there are two sections.One is about the fee changes and the others is "Frequently Asked Questions " ( that has their own slant on it.".

No worries about me I am not thrilled about these changes either.

Following these threads on multiple forums. Some of my takeaways..........:

Yes some of the NR complaints come off as whiny -no doubt some are. Maybe I have been in the past for all I remember. But I think when money is involved, it adds stress and its hard to adequately put the legitimate portion of your frustration into words.

Some otherwise truly knowledgeable and reasonable residents come off a bit harsh, and less often (but not never) actually nasty - i think it is not their normal character, or I hope it is not. A surprising number have an "oh well, not my problem. Don't like it, don't come" attitude. I think this infighting is sad and misses the point. I have generally really enjoyed my face-to-face interactions with residents of all the western states I've been, and I don't recall leaving any bad feeling about me with them. In person at least. We're not so different, you see.

NR should know by now, and expect they will pay, and be happy to pay reasonably more than residents. And all the arguments about how much we contribute to the local economy are getting tired. Let's focus on the issue at hand, licence/tag fees and less so application fees...so the question is, "how much is too much?"

Residents are right that no matter the cost, most if not all NR licences will get sold. So should that be a good thing? Shouldn't costs reflect some kind of realty other than simple ability to pay? I think so. Lessening hunter involvement and interest at lower economic brackets is not good for conservation. I would never have gotten started if times were like this. I wouldn't care as much about the issues. My 2 cents is worth little, but multiplied by thousands of far-flung people across this great country, it can amount to a powerful voice for conservation of western habitats for us and our children's children, and even for our non-hunting neighbors.

Don't forget there is no natural law or very wide moat protecting residents from unreasonable fee increases in the future. So cost control should be a deeply shared interest.

Most people seem to think that DOW has no option to otherwise limit interest, or numbers... but they COULD just limit tags. They CHOOSE not to. Based on a tempting pot of money which they realistically and unfortunately will not exhaust anytime soon. That's the reality, for sure, but it doesn't NEED to be. That said, unlikely to change with us all so fractured. Again, sad.

In a nutshell - NR feel deeply, or at least I do, the just because fees CAN be raised to eye-watering levels... doesn't mean they SHOULD be raised. I beleive there is a sometimes hard to define moral and ethical issue entwined in this and to say otherwise is to turn your back on the history of American conservation, and the importance of encouraging, not discouraging, access to public lands for the pursuit of public hunting. If anyone chooses to turn their backs on their fellow hunters so, easily, don't be surprised when backs are turned to you.

We are all residents of 1 state and NR of 49 others. This issue is not east - vs west. Or north -vs- south. Over here, we have some prolific hunting in the east. You can come here, pay 125 bucks or so and shoot several bucks and all the does you can carry. Turkeys? Included in PA licence, maybe 20 bucks or so in NJ. Your welcome to do it. We have bays and ocean beaches and you are welcome to grab some sun in the summer or go crabbing or grab a surf pole and try your hand at stripers or blues, or hit the boats for a trip to the gulf stream for tuna if you want. Night out on the town in NYC after a day of blue-ribbon trout fishing or kayaking on the upper Delaware? Feel like catching a land-locked salmon or two? It isn't like it's hell on earth here. Camping ? Hundreds of options. Hiking? Ever heard of the Appalachian Trail. For any of these things it will truly cost you only nominally above what a resident might pay, if at all. We don't have much elk (though growing in PA, KY, WV and elsewhere) or the Rocky Mountains of course so we enjoy coming out to you for that. Most of us go home after. Some come back permanently and become residents (I have not heard too much positive talk about THAT but that's for another day.... ha ha).

Final point. I am not bitter and withdrawn over the fee increases, I am applying in several states and paying up to do so. Happily? Maybe not as happy as I COULD be. But still fortunate for the opportunity, hell yeah. But maybe I'd feel better about the future of the sport, as I see it, if it wasn't slipping out of the grasp of so many.

So good luck to all in their hunts, be they near or far. And may 2019 be the year we like-minded hunters of the mighty elk try harder to come together, rather than act like so many other whiny or snippy or negative or hopeless groups There's plenty of those already. Let's not let R/NR be the equivalent of what Rep/Dem is in politics.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 46 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,597
Posts18,454,376
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.