24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if the whiners looked at it as an added fee, instead of an unwanted license(whether they can use it or not), There would be whole lot less panty wads in their azz cracks.....

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nahh, I don't care what theu callnit to make themselves feel better, it's not the name it's the cost. When the payment and refund process changed last year making it almost free to apply, I was pretty excited, and started planning. Now, they've decided to change it yet again, I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bet if matching Pittman-Robertson dollars were excluded from this type of forced bundling the requirement would go away.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by liliysdad
.....I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Yes, that's the decision any NR hunter has to make.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by liliysdad
.....I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Yes, that's the decision any NR hunter has to make.

Exactly. The powers that be have set the requirements and now each individual has to make that decision whether it is worth it or not. I agree that is sucks, whether you're a resident or not. It's just more painful if you're a NR.

Montana did the same thing to me years ago. I used to go there every year to hunt with my buddies and I enjoyed the heck out of it. However, when Montana decided to stick it to the NR and double the tag price, that is when I decided I didn't need a Montana deer that bad and quit going. Did my decision affect Montana's decision and their budget? Not at all because there were plenty of other people standing in line to hand Montana their money for the same tag. This is what will happen in CO. CO knows what's happened in other states when they do this, i.e. that hunters will continue to pay. The only way they would rethink what they're doing is if the NRs as a whole, quit applying. And, you can see from this thread that that won't happen. There are a number here that won't apply anymore due to the cost but there seems to be just as many, if not more, that will continue to apply, even with the increased cost. So it goes...

As a side note, if we could get the legislature to agree to tax all the mountain bikers, hikers, kayakers, etc. the same way they tax/charge hunters, we wouldn't be having this discussion, I bet!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by test1328
As a side note, if we could get the legislature to agree to tax all the mountain bikers, hikers, kayakers, etc. the same way they tax/charge hunters, we wouldn't be having this discussion, I bet!

Nope,all those fees would go to BLM or Forest department for use of the land. Hunters pay for the ability to hunt.Right now if you are not hunting, you pay zip to use that land. CPW would not see a penny of those fees. However,maybe less money would be bled out of CPW .Like out of that part of the pie chart they show that says payments to other agencies. Or they could get out of the real estate business of owning water impoundments and wildlife areas.Turn them into state lands

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ELKiller
BUT, I am seriously curious to know how it can be legal for a Government to require the purchase of a unwanted/unneeded license, in order to purchase another? Have any of the other states, with similar requirements, ever been legally challenged on this?

Kind of hard to make a case that any government agency is requiring anyone to purchase a license to hunt.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
By OTC do you mean left-over tags drawings?

Alaska requires $80 NR hunting license to apply for drawings. This can be done at same time. Can both be done at same time in CO?

The history of drawing tags up here goes about like this:

At first, one could apply for one species(each) in one GMU only.

Then they went up to 3 apps permitted, but only one app per GMU

Now, it is up to 6 apps each species, and all can be for same area.

For most species, resident app fees are either $5 or $10. I'd have to check, but I think it is same for NR. NR require $$$ locking tags if drawn.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cost of the additional fee is additional revenue, nothing more, nothing less.....habitat stamp, fishing license, and Elk license to go Elk hunting,
what I find troubling is anyone who questions this, is labeled a whiner.

Tomorrow maybe your turn.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well.... Since I'm the one who coined 'whiner', I'll esplain the difference betwixt my thought process, and them'uns. I won't bitch, moan, cry, threaten to stay to home, question, pout or otherwise complain on the innerweb like a little baby bambino, about the costs of hunting (whether those costs are shickenchit, or not). I'll just quietly suck it up, and save, scrimp, beg, borrow, rob Peter to pay Paul, etc. and go hunting....And if I decide the fees and costs are too high, and decide to forego, I won't crow from the mountaintop(or soapbox) about how 'unfair' life is, or try to make myself a martyr over the worlds injustices to non-residents, thru my 'principles' on the web. I'll either 'cowboy-the-fugg-up', OR 'shut-the-fugg-up'.....Evidently, few share these thoughts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don, I think a lot of people share those thoughts, they're just not posting on this thread.

las, OTC=over the counter (no draw).

PS, after reading this thread I am outraged over what I had to pay to hunt sheep in Alaska.

Outraged, I tell ya!

Last edited by smokepole; 01/11/19.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Nope,all those fees would go to BLM or Forest department for use of the land. Hunters pay for the ability to hunt.Right now if you are not hunting, you pay zip to use that land. CPW would not see a penny of those fees. However,maybe less money would be bled out of CPW .Like out of that part of the pie chart they show that says payments to other agencies. Or they could get out of the real estate business of owning water impoundments and wildlife areas.Turn them into state lands

You're right about this, I agree. However, I'm sure the legislature could come up with a plan in no time at all to get some funds to CPW if they wanted to. Why not a license to operate a kayak or mountain bike in CO that would go to CPW? Or, a one time CPW fee of $100 for every mountain bike, kayak, etc. that is sold in CO? They do similar to fund tourism in CO by charging an extra fee (tax) on your hotel stay. With some creativity and the right legislation, I'm sure it could be done. However, I doubt we would ever see it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don,with all due respect, chill the fugg out.

You're not the first, nor the last to use the word 'whiner' in these NR/R threads.

regarding the irony of your last post, "crowing from the rooftop,"

Don't recall you ever having 7 posts in a single thread,

point being, It can be, and usually is, an emotional and highly discussed topic for both sides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're right about this, I agree. However, I'm sure the legislature could come up with a plan in no time at all to get some funds to CPW if they wanted to. Why not a license to operate a kayak or mountain bike in CO that would go to CPW? Or, a one time CPW fee of $100 for every mountain bike, kayak, etc. that is sold in CO? They do similar to fund tourism in CO by charging an extra fee (tax) on your hotel stay. With some creativity and the right legislation, I'm sure it could be done. However, I doubt we would ever see it.

Agree but the touchy-feally outdoorsey crowd would a seizure

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by ELKiller
BUT, I am seriously curious to know how it can be legal for a Government to require the purchase of a unwanted/unneeded license, in order to purchase another? Have any of the other states, with similar requirements, ever been legally challenged on this?

Kind of hard to make a case that any government agency is requiring anyone to purchase a license to hunt.

Really? How hard is that case to make?

Step 1) Decide I want to hunt elk in Colorado (no interest in any other hunting)
Step 2) Try to apply for an archery elk license, but in order to do so, the state is requiring me to purchase an unrelated license for something I have no interest in hunting.

I’m no lawyer, but to me, it seems like a pretty darned simple case to make.

Trust me, I’m all for CPW finding ways to raise revenue, but this just doesn’t feel right to me. Let’s call a spade a spade... or an application fee.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I think what Smoke is saying is the government isn't forcing you to buy a license. If you don't want to ,you don't have to.However,if you want to go hunting, which in CO is a privilege,not a right, then they make you buy that license.Like someone has already posted,it isn't anything except and other fee and they can't call it a tax .

It's like the road and bridge fee on CO vehicle registration. If they called them a tax,voters would have had to vote on it. Knowing that wouldn't pass,they called them a fee. CPW is doing the same thing with the blessing of the stare legislator.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well.... Since I'm the one who coined 'whiner', I'll esplain the difference betwixt my thought process, and them'uns. I won't bitch, moan, cry, threaten to stay to home, question, pout or otherwise complain on the innerweb like a little baby bambino, about the costs of hunting (whether those costs are shickenchit, or not). I'll just quietly suck it up, and save, scrimp, beg, borrow, rob Peter to pay Paul, etc. and go hunting....And if I decide the fees and costs are too high, and decide to forego, I won't crow from the mountaintop(or soapbox) about how 'unfair' life is, or try to make myself a martyr over the worlds injustices to non-residents, thru my 'principles' on the web. I'll either 'cowboy-the-fugg-up', OR 'shut-the-fugg-up'.....Evidently, few share these thoughts.

You didn't coin whiner on this subject. "Alamosa" accused me of whining about it back in mid-December! LMAO That's right; Cowboy Up ! or STFU

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, crap... I SO wanted to be first....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I think what Smoke is saying is the government isn't forcing you to buy a license. If you don't want to ,you don't have to.However,if you want to go hunting, which in CO is a privilege,not a right, then they make you buy that license.Like someone has already posted,it isn't anything except and other fee and they can't call it a tax .

It's like the road and bridge fee on CO vehicle registration. If they called them a tax,voters would have had to vote on it. Knowing that wouldn't pass,they called them a fee. CPW is doing the same thing with the blessing of the stare legislator.

Yeah, I understand all that... I just wish they’d call it what it is. If I went to my local forest service office to buy my fire wood cutting permits, only to be told that I must also buy a camping permit... well, I’d probably raise hell about it.

Whom ever administers the allocation of Pitman Robertson funds should fix this “loop hole” so that the monies are actually distributed as intended. Now all the states are basically stuck with jumping on the band wagon, or get left behind... and we have to pay for it out of our pocket.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
506 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.