Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
If you plan on applying for a Colorado elk license on April 2, be aware:

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; or 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents).

Qualifying licenses for the 2019 big game drawing will be available for purchase on March 1, 2019.

Application for residents is now $7 and Small Game is $24

Application fee for NR is now $9. Small Game is $80

Resident for Turkey is $29,75 for Springs .Since the deadline to apply for Spring Turkey is Feb 1, I think, If you draw that would be a qualifying license.If you don't draw,you must buy the small game license

So make sure you buy these before you apply.

I did not see any such requirements for OTC licenses if they are purchased online or at a vendor.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will add

The big 4 point will now cost residents $50 for each species and $100 per point for non residents

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes buy before you apply!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I will add

The big 4 point will now cost residents $50 for each species and $100 per point for non residents

I don't know what the "big 4" are. Moose, mtn goat & bighorn sheep go to $50. What's the 4th?

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH!

My only thought is this is to limit the numbers of applicants since changing the application process last year where you didn't have to put up the $$$ at application time. I love CO, but other states have elk and I'm going to have to start researching elsewhere.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most other states have had these types of fees for years. Glad Colorado finally did it. I quit applying in NM, UT, and AZ for this reason years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH!

My only thought is this is to limit the numbers of applicants since changing the application process last year where you didn't have to put up the $$$ at application time. I love CO, but other states have elk and I'm going to have to start researching elsewhere.

Yes, same as half the west. Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Montana, Arizona all have similar set ups. Or $14 applications with $50 preference point fees and "special" prices in Wyoming if you prefer. Colorado isn't the only game in town, but others done similar for years. Good luck

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH! .

That's it.I posted because a person has to have that tag before even applying. I figure a lot of people that wait until the last minute are going to be in for a big surprise. Initially every one said NR tags were not going up.The base price of the tag isn't, it will still cost $89 to apply instead of $3 .

A lot of people think these increases are just dandy and some how are going to get us better big game management .My bet most of it will be used for administrative cost..Most that are in favor of it some how think it will mean less hunter pressure. I doubt that too.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the 411

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Are there any changes if a non resident is just applying for preference points for elk & mule deer ?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Other than your $89 donation, no other changes. And thanks in advance.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RShooter
Are there any changes if a non resident is just applying for preference points for elk & mule deer ?

For sheep, goat and moose it is $100 now. Found this in the FAQ list.

In 2019, preference point fees will only be charged for Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, moose and mountain goat applications. Preference point fees for each of these species will be $50 for residents and $100 for nonresidents. There are no longer preference point fees for elk, deer, pronghorn, or bear.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/07/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My answer is above!

Last edited by Sako76; 01/07/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I will add

I don't know what the "big 4" are. Moose, mtn goat & bighorn sheep go to $50. What's the 4th?

Desert Bighorn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I will add

Desert Bighorn

No points for Desert Bighorn-----straight draw.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
A person could probably put a good payment down on a Canadian moose hunt by the time they bought enough non resident points to actually draw a tag.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Here are the links: Fees

FAQs of why Colo wants more money

Note, there is a meeting of the commissioners in the next week that might result in additional minor adjustments to what is posted here, so check back if interested or concerned.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by djb
I guess my reading comprehension isn't too good. So as an Ohio resident, I have to pay $89 for a small game license, that I will not use, to have the honor of just APPLYING for the honor of getting drawn for an elk tag??!! WTH! .

That's it.I posted because a person has to have that tag before even applying. I figure a lot of people that wait until the last minute are going to be in for a big surprise. Initially every one said NR tags were not going up.The base price of the tag isn't, it will still cost $89 to apply instead of $3 .

A lot of people think these increases are just dandy and some how are going to get us better big game management .My bet most of it will be used for administrative cost..Most that are in favor of it some how think it will mean less hunter pressure. I doubt that too.

Thanks. I'm not trying to 'shoot the messenger'. It's just frustrating.

As it initially posted. I have to 1) see this a a way of walking back the basically free application from last year floodingthe system or 2) part of some other ends to a means. I just apply for cow tags to enjoy a western hunt and get some good meat. Last year was the first time in years I didn't draw initially; I picked up a left over tag, which ironically, was one of the tags I didn't draw my first try crazy

Hey, if they want to increase tags, its their right just as much as it's mine to go elsewhere. I just wish they'd revert to the old system and charge an increase to people who actually get drawn.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
You might get on theCPW web site Look under "things to do", "Hunting" ,"Big Game" and there are two sections.One is about the fee changes and the others is "Frequently Asked Questions " ( that has their own slant on it.".

No worries about me I am not thrilled about these changes either.

Following these threads on multiple forums. Some of my takeaways..........:

Yes some of the NR complaints come off as whiny -no doubt some are. Maybe I have been in the past for all I remember. But I think when money is involved, it adds stress and its hard to adequately put the legitimate portion of your frustration into words.

Some otherwise truly knowledgeable and reasonable residents come off a bit harsh, and less often (but not never) actually nasty - i think it is not their normal character, or I hope it is not. A surprising number have an "oh well, not my problem. Don't like it, don't come" attitude. I think this infighting is sad and misses the point. I have generally really enjoyed my face-to-face interactions with residents of all the western states I've been, and I don't recall leaving any bad feeling about me with them. In person at least. We're not so different, you see.

NR should know by now, and expect they will pay, and be happy to pay reasonably more than residents. And all the arguments about how much we contribute to the local economy are getting tired. Let's focus on the issue at hand, licence/tag fees and less so application fees...so the question is, "how much is too much?"

Residents are right that no matter the cost, most if not all NR licences will get sold. So should that be a good thing? Shouldn't costs reflect some kind of realty other than simple ability to pay? I think so. Lessening hunter involvement and interest at lower economic brackets is not good for conservation. I would never have gotten started if times were like this. I wouldn't care as much about the issues. My 2 cents is worth little, but multiplied by thousands of far-flung people across this great country, it can amount to a powerful voice for conservation of western habitats for us and our children's children, and even for our non-hunting neighbors.

Don't forget there is no natural law or very wide moat protecting residents from unreasonable fee increases in the future. So cost control should be a deeply shared interest.

Most people seem to think that DOW has no option to otherwise limit interest, or numbers... but they COULD just limit tags. They CHOOSE not to. Based on a tempting pot of money which they realistically and unfortunately will not exhaust anytime soon. That's the reality, for sure, but it doesn't NEED to be. That said, unlikely to change with us all so fractured. Again, sad.

In a nutshell - NR feel deeply, or at least I do, the just because fees CAN be raised to eye-watering levels... doesn't mean they SHOULD be raised. I beleive there is a sometimes hard to define moral and ethical issue entwined in this and to say otherwise is to turn your back on the history of American conservation, and the importance of encouraging, not discouraging, access to public lands for the pursuit of public hunting. If anyone chooses to turn their backs on their fellow hunters so, easily, don't be surprised when backs are turned to you.

We are all residents of 1 state and NR of 49 others. This issue is not east - vs west. Or north -vs- south. Over here, we have some prolific hunting in the east. You can come here, pay 125 bucks or so and shoot several bucks and all the does you can carry. Turkeys? Included in PA licence, maybe 20 bucks or so in NJ. Your welcome to do it. We have bays and ocean beaches and you are welcome to grab some sun in the summer or go crabbing or grab a surf pole and try your hand at stripers or blues, or hit the boats for a trip to the gulf stream for tuna if you want. Night out on the town in NYC after a day of blue-ribbon trout fishing or kayaking on the upper Delaware? Feel like catching a land-locked salmon or two? It isn't like it's hell on earth here. Camping ? Hundreds of options. Hiking? Ever heard of the Appalachian Trail. For any of these things it will truly cost you only nominally above what a resident might pay, if at all. We don't have much elk (though growing in PA, KY, WV and elsewhere) or the Rocky Mountains of course so we enjoy coming out to you for that. Most of us go home after. Some come back permanently and become residents (I have not heard too much positive talk about THAT but that's for another day.... ha ha).

Final point. I am not bitter and withdrawn over the fee increases, I am applying in several states and paying up to do so. Happily? Maybe not as happy as I COULD be. But still fortunate for the opportunity, hell yeah. But maybe I'd feel better about the future of the sport, as I see it, if it wasn't slipping out of the grasp of so many.

So good luck to all in their hunts, be they near or far. And may 2019 be the year we like-minded hunters of the mighty elk try harder to come together, rather than act like so many other whiny or snippy or negative or hopeless groups There's plenty of those already. Let's not let R/NR be the equivalent of what Rep/Dem is in politics.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good stuff nj.

It won't result in less not resident hunters.

It will result in wealthier non resident hunters.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well, that changes my plans dramatically. I have never put in for Colorado, but was intending to start this year, in hopes of drawing a mule deer in a decent unit in about 5-7 years. I don't know that I will spend $90 a year just for the privilege of a chance at paying the state more money later.....I don't know that I wont yet..but its sure frustrating.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I appreciate all that you said NJ and agree. If hunters could stick together instead of always bickering between ourselves, we'd be a powerful force to reckon with, that's for sure.

As you said, we're all only a resident of one state and NR in the other 49. Hunting anywhere as a NR is truly a costly endeavor these days and the bottom line is to do it, you can't just be scraping by financially. For certain hunts in certain states, I'm sure people will sacrifice to make it happen if they truly desire it. However, I doubt it will ever be like it was in the "old days" when it didn't take much financial commitment to hunt out-of-state.

The other thing to remember, as NJ touched on, is that once the price to play hits the extreme for the NR hunters and their numbers tail off, it doesn't take long before the states start looking at the residents to make up the difference.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Well, that changes my plans dramatically. I have never put in for Colorado, but was intending to start this year, in hopes of drawing a mule deer in a decent unit in about 5-7 years. I don't know that I will spend $90 a year just for the privilege of a chance at paying the state more money later.....I don't know that I wont yet..but its sure frustrating.

Small game + Habitat stamp will be just ove $100

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well said NJ. My son in law would like to hunt elk, but when you add the travel costs and time to the license which will be:
Small game $80
Habitat $10
App fee $9
Elk license $660
Actual cost: $759. For a 5 day season.

It’s not trivial, and is slipping away from some income levels. Do that to enough people and they’ll no longer care as much about those public lands.

I don’t know the answer, but I wonder how much of the fiscal pressure is tied to DOW being merged with parks.

I still think the requirement to purchase a small game license in order to apply is complete BS. Their reasoning is “The qualifying license is intended to ensure hunters are not accumulating preference points without otherwise making a financial contribution to wildlife conservation in Colorado.”. Explain to me why the mere act of a PP requires making a financial contribution to conservation? The $660 license and $10 habitat tag aren’t enough of a contribution in the years you actually use the resources?

Last edited by prm; 01/09/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It’s really not that hard to understand what is going on here.

1. Supply and Demand.......the demand is greater than the supply. Colorado cannot provide every hunter in the other 49 states a opportunity to harvest an elk or deer just because they want to.

2. Money........the state cannot afford to stop selling tags or vastly reduce the number of tags sold to non res hunters because it needs their money to fatten the Parks side of CPWD. Therefore while they know some guys will stop putting in for tags they will be able to make up the difference from those that don’t wince at an extra $100 to apply.

3. Residents hasty responses.....we’ll isnt that a natural reaction? If you live somewhere so that you can enjoy the resources that location offers your not likely to be real excited to see hoardes of non residents showing up once a year where you intend to hunt, or have been hunting and have it ruin your hunting or make it much more difficult due to excess pressure.

That’s it in a nutshell. Too damn many people and not enough public land in the country plain and simple!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yet every single study shows hunter numbers are way down across the Nation.

I'm 38 years old, and make enough money to get by and be comfortable, but far from well off. To many folks, I'm barely getting by. I've always wanted to make at least one Western hunt, and had dreams of making it many more. Sadly, the closer I get to the point where I thought this would be a reality, the more the goalposts seem to be moving.

I'm not at all suggesting I deserve a damned thing...just somewhat disheartened at the prospect of never being able to do what I always figured I would eventually get to. Such is life.

Last edited by liliysdad; 01/09/19.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CPW claims that they need the operating funds and want everyone who gets in the drawing process to contribute. I’m not particularly thrilled to be forced into buying a small game license to apply for deer since elk is otc in the unit that I hunt. The $89 extra is a steak dinner and a few good whiskys so I guess it’ll be less of that in Steamboat or in Boise on the way home. Nowhere decent in Craig to do that anyway! Hello Mickey D’s! I’m already planning my 2019 hunt. Actually, it’s just a “Groundhog Day “ sort of event. Rewind last year and hope the weather cooperates. Happy Trails, y’all

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Maybe next year we'll have to buy a ski pass to go hunting?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Handwerk, got a chuckle out of that one this am. Hope all is well there. Don't give this guys any more ideas, next it will be a mountain bike and kayaking tax.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Money, yes they want more money. I'm more than happy to pay my share for what I do. It's less about the money to me than it is the BS nature of the fees. If they feel they need $759 from me the years I'm there to hunt elk for 5 days, then charge that. Don't randomly charge me $80 for a licence I won't use saying it's needed for conservation. What's the Habitat fee?? How many non-residents are going to come to CO in years they don't draw a big game license? Roughly zero. Yet CO is charging them for a small game license. That's bad policy. Call the fees what they are, charge what you need.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Who wants to talk about the auto registration/license plate/ownership tax? 683 bucks for year on a 2-3 year old SUV? Are you kidding me?
You guys are lucky to NOT be residents!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By selling more licenses, the state gets to leverage more Pittman & Robertson dollars on top of the money they make on selling the license. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner in states will large pools of applicants. I also predict this will become the norm for states like Colorado.

That said, the only way to get to hunt some species in some places is to play the games. I plan on playing as much as I can afford for as I long as possible.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Who wants to talk about the auto registration/license plate/ownership tax? 683 bucks for year on a 2-3 year old SUV? Are you kidding me?

We in WA beat that $600 car tab crap at the ballot box for a $35 car tab fee years ago. They found innovative ways to add weight fees, etc to the basic cost but still not taxed per value. Of course they keep fuggin’ us with higher gas taxes! LOL! Face it, the governments will continue to milk us dry to support the non-productive elements of society and illegals. Hunters will continue to support parks and other stuff they don’t need or use. Happy Trails

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
CPW claims that they need the operating funds and want everyone who gets in the drawing process to contribute. I’m not particularly thrilled to be forced into buying a small game license to apply for deer since elk is otc in the unit that I hunt. The $89 extra is a steak dinner and a few good whiskys so I guess it’ll be less of that in Steamboat or in Boise on the way home. Nowhere decent in Craig to do that anyway! Hello Mickey D’s! I’m already planning my 2019 hunt. Actually, it’s just a “Groundhog Day “ sort of event. Rewind last year and hope the weather cooperates. Happy Trails, y’all

I don't think it applies to OTC tags. Only the drawing

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can you return the small game tag before season starts and get your money back is my question?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll let you call the DOW to confirm either way, but my strongest guess is that there is no returning the small game license. Its not Walmart lol.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Plumdog

Man that was the biggest shock I have ever experienced in moving to a new state. I had 3 vehicles to register and literally about fainted when the lady at the DMV told me what the total was for all 3 vehicles. After living in Texas and Alaska for the last 25 years I had never been faced with a absolute abuse of a taxation state like I did with moving here. The really good news was when she told me that I had to pay almost the same amount next year too, it’s not a one time tax, it’s every year! People have asked us if we plan to retire here since we’re so close to retirement and I’m like are you [bleep] Crazy, no way. I think it’s only going to get worse with the Uber Liberal new governor too, he is itching at the bit to add new laws and taxes and make this place California’s little sister..

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Can't you return a normal big game tag as long as you do it before the season starts? I was thinking maybe it's along the same lines... Not that the $80 will stop me from coming, it's just the thought of it..Why not make you get a furbearer tag? makes more sense to have a tag to shoot coyotes with during elk/deer hunt, than a small game tag!!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JFC..... what do you think the small game license allows you to do? read the regs before opening your puke hole.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
and you can't plink grouse on a furbearer license.....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Happy New Year to you as well H22.. Guess I got my first taste of someone being a reall A@#hole to me on the fire.. Thanks for breaking me in.. But if I'm hunting elk or mule deer with a hunting rifle, I"m not really going to be able to "plink" a grouse... since I don't carry a 270 (had to get that part in to humor some others on here)

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did it taste good?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was born and raised in CO. The Kalifornicators and their leftist pals in the Front Range have completely ruined the state.

I turned my back on CO after seeing the poor hunt quality and watching the fee structure being abused year after year. These idiots on the Commission contracted with a Dallas firm to run the online non- resident license sales. For several years running now, the servers have crash on opening day of the application date and screwed several thousand folks out of the chance to get a license. Complaints with the wildlife folks fall on deaf ears, and you have zero recourse. On top of those insults, you are given the pleasant opportunity of paying $500 for a bull tag.

Piss on CO and their precious hunting licenses. I now hunt in a state with far better success ratios, fewer people, cheaper tags, and better hunting weather.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm also a basketball referee, so I'm used to people being rude and obnoxious for no reason... As far as reading regulations, I guess I'm just used to PA where small game and fur license ARE 2 different tags.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
they are 2 different tags here, too. Hence my rude-azzed comment. But everybody has to chime in, whether they know what they're talking about, or not. Sally forth...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess that does it for me. I have 20 PP but I won't pay the new fees this year. At 70, I probably shouldn't go anyway.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Small game license can't be returned. Big game license must be returned at least 30 days before season and it will cost you 50% of the license or a max of $25

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by model70man
I guess that does it for me. I have 20 PP but I won't pay the new fees this year. At 70, I probably shouldn't go anyway.

It'd be a shame to waste 20 points, hate to see that. You could draw a tag that wouldn't be too hard physically to get on some bulls.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
bowing out over a $100......

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's not a hundred bucks , it's the five hundred plus to draw a decent mule deer. More when they decide to raise it again.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Just be up front and call it what it is...it’s an application fee. It’s dumb to make me buy a “small game licence” that I can’t or won’t use to make me feel like I’m getting something vs just paying a fee.😡

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think a couple people have pointed out that the more licenses they sell, the more Pittman-Robertson funds they get. Those funds come from a federal excise tax and they're divided up among the states according to a formula that includes number of licenses sold. It may be an "applicarion fee" but there's no way they're gonna ask for it in that form or call it that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
I was born and raised in CO. The Kalifornicators and their leftist pals in the Front Range have completely ruined the state.

I turned my back on CO after seeing the poor hunt quality and watching the fee structure being abused year after year. These idiots on the Commission contracted with a Dallas firm to run the online non- resident license sales. For several years running now, the servers have crash on opening day of the application date and screwed several thousand folks out of the chance to get a license. Complaints with the wildlife folks fall on deaf ears, and you have zero recourse. On top of those insults, you are given the pleasant opportunity of paying $500 for a bull tag.

Piss on CO and their precious hunting licenses. I now hunt in a state with far better success ratios, fewer people, cheaper tags, and better hunting weather.

You moved from a "Leftist" state to a MORE Leftist state...mmm...mmm...mmm.

They registering your bullets there, yet?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3584ELK

Population of Washington is 7.2 million. Averaging 102 people per square mile. Colorado is 5.6 million. Averaging 52 per square mile. What is better hunting weather like? Just curious what that means.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Where is Rodney King when you need him?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
New Mexico has followed suit. No refunds anymore for the game-license if unsuccessful. That's $65 for a non-resident. Without points I wonder if it will put a dent in the draw numbers or just force more people to compete for landowner license/access.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a CO resident who will be buying a "qualifying license" anyway, so I don't think this change will affect the way I do business... BUT, I am seriously curious to know how it can be legal for a Government to require the purchase of a unwanted/unneeded license, in order to purchase another? Have any of the other states, with similar requirements, ever been legally challenged on this?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hell they can double it for all I care, folks should hunt their own damn state.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Itll never happen, but I wish NR's would just give the CO DOW the finger and go somewhere else this year. I don't have a problem paying a y reasonable amount for any tag or preference point, but that's completely garbage. If they wanted to raise the application fee then raise the damn application fee, but don't make hunters buy something completely unrelated. It's clearly an attempt to get more money out of people in a used car salesman way.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if the whiners looked at it as an added fee, instead of an unwanted license(whether they can use it or not), There would be whole lot less panty wads in their azz cracks.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nahh, I don't care what theu callnit to make themselves feel better, it's not the name it's the cost. When the payment and refund process changed last year making it almost free to apply, I was pretty excited, and started planning. Now, they've decided to change it yet again, I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I bet if matching Pittman-Robertson dollars were excluded from this type of forced bundling the requirement would go away.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.....I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Yes, that's the decision any NR hunter has to make.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
.....I figure Colorado just isnt worth the hassle.

Yes, that's the decision any NR hunter has to make.

Exactly. The powers that be have set the requirements and now each individual has to make that decision whether it is worth it or not. I agree that is sucks, whether you're a resident or not. It's just more painful if you're a NR.

Montana did the same thing to me years ago. I used to go there every year to hunt with my buddies and I enjoyed the heck out of it. However, when Montana decided to stick it to the NR and double the tag price, that is when I decided I didn't need a Montana deer that bad and quit going. Did my decision affect Montana's decision and their budget? Not at all because there were plenty of other people standing in line to hand Montana their money for the same tag. This is what will happen in CO. CO knows what's happened in other states when they do this, i.e. that hunters will continue to pay. The only way they would rethink what they're doing is if the NRs as a whole, quit applying. And, you can see from this thread that that won't happen. There are a number here that won't apply anymore due to the cost but there seems to be just as many, if not more, that will continue to apply, even with the increased cost. So it goes...

As a side note, if we could get the legislature to agree to tax all the mountain bikers, hikers, kayakers, etc. the same way they tax/charge hunters, we wouldn't be having this discussion, I bet!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by test1328
As a side note, if we could get the legislature to agree to tax all the mountain bikers, hikers, kayakers, etc. the same way they tax/charge hunters, we wouldn't be having this discussion, I bet!

Nope,all those fees would go to BLM or Forest department for use of the land. Hunters pay for the ability to hunt.Right now if you are not hunting, you pay zip to use that land. CPW would not see a penny of those fees. However,maybe less money would be bled out of CPW .Like out of that part of the pie chart they show that says payments to other agencies. Or they could get out of the real estate business of owning water impoundments and wildlife areas.Turn them into state lands

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ELKiller
BUT, I am seriously curious to know how it can be legal for a Government to require the purchase of a unwanted/unneeded license, in order to purchase another? Have any of the other states, with similar requirements, ever been legally challenged on this?

Kind of hard to make a case that any government agency is requiring anyone to purchase a license to hunt.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
By OTC do you mean left-over tags drawings?

Alaska requires $80 NR hunting license to apply for drawings. This can be done at same time. Can both be done at same time in CO?

The history of drawing tags up here goes about like this:

At first, one could apply for one species(each) in one GMU only.

Then they went up to 3 apps permitted, but only one app per GMU

Now, it is up to 6 apps each species, and all can be for same area.

For most species, resident app fees are either $5 or $10. I'd have to check, but I think it is same for NR. NR require $$$ locking tags if drawn.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The cost of the additional fee is additional revenue, nothing more, nothing less.....habitat stamp, fishing license, and Elk license to go Elk hunting,
what I find troubling is anyone who questions this, is labeled a whiner.

Tomorrow maybe your turn.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well.... Since I'm the one who coined 'whiner', I'll esplain the difference betwixt my thought process, and them'uns. I won't bitch, moan, cry, threaten to stay to home, question, pout or otherwise complain on the innerweb like a little baby bambino, about the costs of hunting (whether those costs are shickenchit, or not). I'll just quietly suck it up, and save, scrimp, beg, borrow, rob Peter to pay Paul, etc. and go hunting....And if I decide the fees and costs are too high, and decide to forego, I won't crow from the mountaintop(or soapbox) about how 'unfair' life is, or try to make myself a martyr over the worlds injustices to non-residents, thru my 'principles' on the web. I'll either 'cowboy-the-fugg-up', OR 'shut-the-fugg-up'.....Evidently, few share these thoughts.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don, I think a lot of people share those thoughts, they're just not posting on this thread.

las, OTC=over the counter (no draw).

PS, after reading this thread I am outraged over what I had to pay to hunt sheep in Alaska.

Outraged, I tell ya!

Last edited by smokepole; 01/11/19.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Nope,all those fees would go to BLM or Forest department for use of the land. Hunters pay for the ability to hunt.Right now if you are not hunting, you pay zip to use that land. CPW would not see a penny of those fees. However,maybe less money would be bled out of CPW .Like out of that part of the pie chart they show that says payments to other agencies. Or they could get out of the real estate business of owning water impoundments and wildlife areas.Turn them into state lands

You're right about this, I agree. However, I'm sure the legislature could come up with a plan in no time at all to get some funds to CPW if they wanted to. Why not a license to operate a kayak or mountain bike in CO that would go to CPW? Or, a one time CPW fee of $100 for every mountain bike, kayak, etc. that is sold in CO? They do similar to fund tourism in CO by charging an extra fee (tax) on your hotel stay. With some creativity and the right legislation, I'm sure it could be done. However, I doubt we would ever see it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don,with all due respect, chill the fugg out.

You're not the first, nor the last to use the word 'whiner' in these NR/R threads.

regarding the irony of your last post, "crowing from the rooftop,"

Don't recall you ever having 7 posts in a single thread,

point being, It can be, and usually is, an emotional and highly discussed topic for both sides.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're right about this, I agree. However, I'm sure the legislature could come up with a plan in no time at all to get some funds to CPW if they wanted to. Why not a license to operate a kayak or mountain bike in CO that would go to CPW? Or, a one time CPW fee of $100 for every mountain bike, kayak, etc. that is sold in CO? They do similar to fund tourism in CO by charging an extra fee (tax) on your hotel stay. With some creativity and the right legislation, I'm sure it could be done. However, I doubt we would ever see it.

Agree but the touchy-feally outdoorsey crowd would a seizure

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BUT, I am seriously curious to know how it can be legal for a Government to require the purchase of a unwanted/unneeded license, in order to purchase another? Have any of the other states, with similar requirements, ever been legally challenged on this?

Kind of hard to make a case that any government agency is requiring anyone to purchase a license to hunt.

Really? How hard is that case to make?

Step 1) Decide I want to hunt elk in Colorado (no interest in any other hunting)
Step 2) Try to apply for an archery elk license, but in order to do so, the state is requiring me to purchase an unrelated license for something I have no interest in hunting.

I’m no lawyer, but to me, it seems like a pretty darned simple case to make.

Trust me, I’m all for CPW finding ways to raise revenue, but this just doesn’t feel right to me. Let’s call a spade a spade... or an application fee.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I think what Smoke is saying is the government isn't forcing you to buy a license. If you don't want to ,you don't have to.However,if you want to go hunting, which in CO is a privilege,not a right, then they make you buy that license.Like someone has already posted,it isn't anything except and other fee and they can't call it a tax .

It's like the road and bridge fee on CO vehicle registration. If they called them a tax,voters would have had to vote on it. Knowing that wouldn't pass,they called them a fee. CPW is doing the same thing with the blessing of the stare legislator.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Well.... Since I'm the one who coined 'whiner', I'll esplain the difference betwixt my thought process, and them'uns. I won't bitch, moan, cry, threaten to stay to home, question, pout or otherwise complain on the innerweb like a little baby bambino, about the costs of hunting (whether those costs are shickenchit, or not). I'll just quietly suck it up, and save, scrimp, beg, borrow, rob Peter to pay Paul, etc. and go hunting....And if I decide the fees and costs are too high, and decide to forego, I won't crow from the mountaintop(or soapbox) about how 'unfair' life is, or try to make myself a martyr over the worlds injustices to non-residents, thru my 'principles' on the web. I'll either 'cowboy-the-fugg-up', OR 'shut-the-fugg-up'.....Evidently, few share these thoughts.

You didn't coin whiner on this subject. "Alamosa" accused me of whining about it back in mid-December! LMAO That's right; Cowboy Up ! or STFU

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Well, crap... I SO wanted to be first....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think what Smoke is saying is the government isn't forcing you to buy a license. If you don't want to ,you don't have to.However,if you want to go hunting, which in CO is a privilege,not a right, then they make you buy that license.Like someone has already posted,it isn't anything except and other fee and they can't call it a tax .

It's like the road and bridge fee on CO vehicle registration. If they called them a tax,voters would have had to vote on it. Knowing that wouldn't pass,they called them a fee. CPW is doing the same thing with the blessing of the stare legislator.

Yeah, I understand all that... I just wish they’d call it what it is. If I went to my local forest service office to buy my fire wood cutting permits, only to be told that I must also buy a camping permit... well, I’d probably raise hell about it.

Whom ever administers the allocation of Pitman Robertson funds should fix this “loop hole” so that the monies are actually distributed as intended. Now all the states are basically stuck with jumping on the band wagon, or get left behind... and we have to pay for it out of our pocket.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I guess it comes down to the question, "Do you want to hunt in Colorado?" I live here and so I'll pay the fee. Were I from somewhere else probably not since I couldn't afford the out of state fees, and have to be content to hunt my home state. If you really want to you'll find a way!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We "wife and I" don't live in Colorado but we still want more seasons in the west.

So it will cost us $160 more this year......that's just $13.33 a month.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I loved CO. Just can't handle the liberal politics going on there. Sure hate that for all the great residents that are there too! A shame it is.

Fees will be what they have to be. Always have been and always will be. Other states like our beloved AK, require a license to apply also. It is what it is.

We have the ability to choose where to spend the money, and like gas costs that all complain about, things will be relative at some point or another.

Life is certainly not easy or a joy ride.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’m sure this is whining too, but the vast majority of public hunting lands is on National Forests, i.e. support by the nation’s tax payers not just CO residents. I know the locals will say the herd in a state ‘property', but it still bothers me the discrepancy in price to hunt on the federal lands. I guess this is the reason the bikers/hikers get away without paying since they aren’t chasing critters.

I just did some checking on our Ohio DNR site. Non residents are required to buy a annual hunting license ($146.12) and then can purchase a deer permit for ($41.60). A resident also has to buy an annual hunting license first ($19) and then can purchase a deer tag ($24).

I think what non-residents are bothered principally, is the the discrepancy in costs being so much higher for non-residents that is appears we are being saddled with the costs to support the herd. With leasing in the East, and higher and higher prices out West, it really is becoming a rich man's sport. Sad but truth, I really doubt we have 1-2 generations of normal hunting left (if not completely outlawed) it will mirror EU.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Sorry if this has been covered already a lot has been said.

Is this true if one is only buying a point and not participating in the draw, or is buying a point considered participation in the draw and therefore making the small game license a necessary purchase?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djb
... With leasing in the East, and higher and higher prices out West, it really is becoming a rich man's sport. Sad but truth, I really doubt we have 1-2 generations of normal hunting left (if not completely outlawed) it will mirror EU.

I'm afraid you are correct. Two of three daughters hunt and the other likes to come along but not actually hunt. (She does enjoy shooting, though.) Sonin-laws all hunt, too. We'll be raising our grandkids to shoot and, hopefully to hunt, but I suspect the golden era for hunting is fast approaching the end for many.

[Writtten as I was cooking antelope sausage for breakfast.]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/12/19.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It saddens me to see another tax added. I spent a portion of my working life in state government in programs that needed to be selfsupporting. It's a pretty difficult process. We found it easier to raise fees on those who didn't have a voting block in our jurisdiction. Hard problems that had easy answers were solved long ago. Equity in taxation, or fee setting, is an unsolved hard problem. When I moved to Virginia, I had a fit that I had to pay property tax in addition to registration and licensing on my car and my boat and trailer and my kayak that totaled over a grand. But it was where my wife's job went, so here I am. And yes i am whining. Every state finds a way to pay its bills.
For years, i had dreamed of hunting antelope and mule deer. As western states added fees that's fallen away. I gave it up on it several years ago. Partly because I live in a different financial world than the folks who can do these things, and partly from the unwelcoming comments directed at nonresidents.
I'm guessing the free market will sort this out. Here in virginia, the DGIF is concerned with declining hunter numbers to achieve whitetail management goals and at the same time, leasing costs are rising. No easy answer there. If my lease goes up again next year, I guess I'll be watching from the sidelines on that, too.
A piece of advice I got a long time ago, 'Suck It up cupcake, this too will pass.'
Blkfly

For the record, I introduced my kids ,grandaughter, nieces and nephews to the outdoors. A few shoot, one fishes, most of them love the outdoors but not one of them is interested in hunting.

Last edited by Blackfly1; 01/12/19.

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, I understand all that... I just wish they’d call it what it is.

Colorado isn't doing anything other states hadn't done years ago. And if they can get additional P-R funds by requiring people to buy a license (like other states do) rather than pay an "application" fee they'd be foolish not to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah, I understand all that... I just wish they’d call it what it is.

Colorado isn't doing anything other states hadn't done years ago. And if they can get additional P-R funds by requiring people to buy a license (like other states do) rather than pay an "application" fee they'd be foolish not to.

I totally agree with you Smokepole & that’s exactly what I was trying to state in the portion of my reply that omitted from your “quote”. They have to jump on the band wagon & not doing so is certainly foolish. Alternatively, the feds could change the way that funds are distributed from P-R, so that no single state (or all of them after every state jumps on the band wagon) can work the system at our expense.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So, you'd like the feds to re-work their program because you don't like what the fee is called. Got it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ha! Good grief.

So what do we do after all of the states follow this model and there’s no longer an advantage? Start requiring folks to buy TWO hunting licenses before they can apply so they can maintain their edge?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It wouldn't take much to modify the language which they should absolutely do to stop states like CO from completely trying to manipulate the system to their benefit. The dollars should go where they're truly deserved, not to who scams the system best.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ha! Good grief.

So what do we do after all of the states follow this model and there’s no longer an advantage?

News flash!!! Other states are already doing it and have been for years.

Originally Posted by ammoman16
It wouldn't take much to modify the language which they should absolutely do to stop states like CO from completely trying to manipulate the system to their benefit.

See above, Colorado is only following suit.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ha! Good grief.

So what do we do after all of the states follow this model and there’s no longer an advantage?

News flash!!! Other states are already doing it and have been for years.

It wouldn't take much to modify the language which they should absolutely do to stop states like CO from completely trying to manipulate the system to their benefit.

See above, Colorado is only following suit.

Which is exactly why I typed STATES.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why would you single out a state that just implemented what other states did years ago? Where was your indignation then?

And why is selling licenses "manipulating the system?" How familiar are with the the formula P-R uses to disburse funds, and the reasons the formula is structured as it is?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I didn't single out a state. This thread is specifically about CO. Any state that does it is in the wrong. Making it a prerequisite to purchase a license that the purchaser may have no interest in using in an effort to increase license sales is absolutely manipulating the system. The PR act uses total licensed hunters in its calculation and now you are licensing people that may never set foot in the state during the calendar year. There's a reason they did it the way they did and didn't just up the application fee or preference point fee.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
And for the record I have no problem if they want to up the cost. Just call it what it is.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's a reason they did it the way they did and didn't just up the application fee or preference point fee.

That's right. Because other states are already doing it and if Colorado didn't, they'd be losing out to states that do.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well that makes it right then.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it makes it fair and square.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not really but if you're going to dig your heels in and push reason aside then so be it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
No I'll will. It's just frustrating watching state agencies blatantly try to manipulate the system. Not much different than someone working for cash and collecting welfare benefits.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think anyone believes this is a good idea, and I live here. Every year I purchase a small game combo fishing license with two duck stamps and rarely use any of it. I chafe at the idea of it being required. I feel this habitat stamp is a scam. They don't charge the hikers or the trail bike crowd this nonsense. Application fee is like the processing fee the car dealers charge and its all leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Hunters are being taking advantage of so you just don't go, and then you won't "need" those nasty firearms. Its all part of a long term game by the left and they are winning.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Its all part of a long term game by the left and they are winning.

Wow. Is it hard to find a blaze orange hat that fits over your tinfoil?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not much different than someone working for cash and collecting welfare benefits.

Except that one is illegal and the other isn't.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm looking for a hat that holds 15 round mags as anything over that is evil.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You didn't stock up on 30s??

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't blame any state for doing anything that betters their ability to improve their fish and game management programs, nor do I feel like I am being screwed, or cheated, or anything else. I do find it mildly annoying that a state has the unfettered ability to charge whatever they wish to hunt public lands that my tax dollars pay for, and that I own....but that's hardly a poke at Colorado.

My only emotion is a little bit of sadness in the realization that my chances of hunting out West in any meaningful way keep getting smaller and smaller.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I do find it mildly annoying that a state has the unfettered ability to charge whatever they wish to hunt public lands that my tax dollars pay for, and that I own....

There should be a period(.), between 'hunt' and 'public land', they are 2 separate sentences. The unfettered fees are the same, public OR private. And yes, your taxes pay for public land. And you are free to use them. But the public lands hold animals that your taxes DON'T pay for, so unless you pays your license monies, and jump thru the hoops, you can't 'hunt' on that public ground.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I do find it mildly annoying that a state has the unfettered ability to charge whatever they wish to hunt public lands that my tax dollars pay for, and that I own....

There should be a period(.), between 'hunt' and 'public land', they are 2 separate sentences. The unfettered fees are the same, public OR private. And yes, your taxes pay for public land. And you are free to use them. But the public lands hold animals that your taxes DON'T pay for, so unless you pays your license monies, and jump thru the hoops, you can't 'hunt' on that public ground.

I know the argument....and even though I largely disagree with it, it has been decided long ago. Tilting at windmills and such...

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Man with all the money weed is making Colorado I thought everything would be free.....funded by dope. Guess that hasnt been the cash cow savior it was sold as.....weird.

Thinking about putting in for a muzzy elk tag, out of my way poor folks!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
For folks like you, we have a special extra license fee. The proceeds go to the National Proctological Association to fund the search for The Cure.

Residenrs can buy a special license plate with brown trim to fund the search for The Cure.

PS, you used to list "Colorado" as your location, why the need for a NR license?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

The risk to that idea--and it's a very real risk--is that those non-hunters, including anti-hunters, will have a bigger say in how wildlife is managed. Think changing hunting seasons to accommodate other activities, and think about predator hunting.

The biggest and best argument we have as hunters is we pay our own way. No other activities--especially on public lands--can say that.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I know the argument....and even though I largely disagree with it, it has been decided long ago. Tilting at windmills and such...

Not to jump the thread, but a quick note; For me the monies we all spend in tag and licensing fees that go towards “whatever game and management” means to dept of fish and game. We pay it...Alas, only to be regulated through the courts by individuals and non-profit start up organizations that throw some of their morality-science into an argument, that a certain animal shouldn’t be hunted or hunted in a way that was used properly in the past allowing for better management of an game animals head count. Thinking, bear, cougs, wolves, insert animal and location of your choosing or type of hunt that has since been changed through the courts by people who have never paid for these animals through fees hunters and sportman have for a few generations. Think liberal soccer mom and dads with trek poles and day packs. Apologies for hijack 😎

Last edited by Beaver10; 01/13/19.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The risk to that idea--and it's a very real risk--is that those non-hunters, including anti-hunters, will have a bigger say in how wildlife is managed. Think changing hunting seasons to accommodate other activities, and think about predator hunting.

The biggest and best argument we have as hunters is we pay our own way. No other activities--especially on public lands--can say that.

AC, we actually do see somethings eye to eye....I agree with this ^^^^^😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For folks like you, we have a special extra license fee. The proceeds go to the National Proctological Association to fund the search for The Cure.

Residenrs can buy a special license plate with brown trim to fund the search for The Cure.

PS, you used to list "Colorado" as your location, why the need for a NR license?

Who said I'd apply as a non resident, polesmoker?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thats right, you don't hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Side benefit of Liberal state hunting policies: coyotes and mountain lions NOW come to hunt in the cities and suburbs that are anti-hunter friendly. Keep an eye on your kids and pets, Lib geniuses.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
All predators prefer unarmed prey....

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Considering Colorado has gone demrat I would like to see a real accounting of the money we pay in licenses and what it accomplishes. There is zero wildlife management on much of Co's public land so is this bigger pot of money going to fund a wolf introduction program? Or the DNC propaganda fund?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, but it'll buy a lot of tinfoil for you. I'd suggest you contact the Director with your request for an accounting of how tbey spend their funds.

As a resident of Texas, I'm sure he'll put your request at the top of his priority list.

And if I may ask, what is your assertion that there is zero wildlife management on public lands based on?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

That ship has sailed! Once the DOW became the CPW, our game commission got some new members to represent these "recreational" users. Not to mention the "at large" commission members, non-consumptive wildlife users, etc. By the way, who appoints these commissioners? The Governor, who has been a Democrat for the last 8 years and we've got another one just starting his 4 years. You think the Democrats are appointing people to look after our hunting interests? You think they don't already account for non and anti-hunters in setting hunting areas, seasons, etc.? If you didn't already know this, you've been sleeping. Hunters don't only pay our own way, we pay everyone else's way as well. That was my point.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=test1328

That ship has sailed! Once the DOW became the CPW, our game commission got some new members to represent these "recreational" users. Not to mention the "at large" commission members, non-consumptive wildlife users, etc. By the way, who appoints these commissioners? The Governor, who has been a Democrat for the last 8 years and we've got another one just starting his 4 years. You think the Democrats are appointing people to look after our hunting interests? You think they don't already account for non and anti-hunters in setting hunting areas, seasons, etc.? If you didn't already know this, you've been sleeping. Hunters don't only pay our own way, we pay everyone else's way as well. That was my point.[/quote]

I think the head of the Colorado Agricultural Commission is also on the CPW commission,but is a non voting member

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Fantastic rebuttal for someone of your age...or do old folks prefer "vintage"? Let's face the facts, you dont know your [bleep] from a hole in the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was going to try to do a deer hunt along with some upland hunting while in Montana this fall. Called them today to ask about the draw process and area I wanted to hunt. Cost for a nonresident deer tag in Montana is over $600 and I have to have a hunting license there also. Its just funny in a way.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

Fantastic rebuttal for someone of your age...or do old folks prefer "vintage"? Let's face the facts, you dont know your [bleep] from a hole in the ground.

LOL, what a tool you are. If the number of years I've been on this earth is all you can come up with it just shows you're lacking in imagination. And brain cells. This thread is about the requirement to purchase a small game license during the application process and almost all of the negative comments (like yours) are about the requirement to purchase a license that the licensee may never use. So your comment about applying and "poor folks get out of the way" only makes sense if you won't use the license. There are only 2 reasons you wouldn't use the license, either you're a non-resident or you don't hunt. Take your pick, you sorry dumb ass.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy

LOL, what a tool you are. If the number of years I've been on this earth is all you can come up with it just shows you're lacking in imagination. And brain cells. This thread is about the requirement to purchase a small game license during the application process and almost all of the negative comments (like yours) are about the requirement to purchase a license that the licensee may never use. So your comment about applying and "poor folks get out of the way" only makes sense if you won't use the license. There are only 2 reasons you wouldn't use the license, either you're a non-resident or you don't hunt. Take your pick, you sorry dumb ass.

Calm down old timer, dont want your BP to get up too high...you old dumb sum biatch

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Old timer, I like that. Makes it all the more satisfying when I kick some young guy's ass in whatever.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I wasn't aware that this would turn into such a pi$$ing contest when I posted it.I only wanted people not to get blind sided when they applied for a tag.

My take on it is if CPW only wanted to get more of their share of PR funds, they could have just required the purchase of the small game tag.They are already getting extra monies from the increase of the big game tags and certainly will get a windfall from the sale of the small game tag.So why increase that?

I don't have the figures on the number of draw applicants for big game,but think it is way over 200,000. So at $28 a clip,that is $5.6 million that not counting a NR gets $80 .Figuring that maybe 1/2 of the applicants are NR, that takes it up to $10.8 million. Now add the average application fee of $8 )($7 and(9) they get another $1.6 million . That is only for one species, by the time you add in increases for antelope, deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, that figure can easily pass $20 million.

Sure, many big game hunters already buy a small game tag,but that is a small income when compared to what CPW will gain vs what they already take in from that.

I'm not sure that all who are gung ho for these increases have figured out just how much CPW 's income will increase.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thats gonna buy a lot of new trucks.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Oh and I’m sure CPW will put that money to good use!

Bunch of horse manure!!

Last edited by Aviator; 01/15/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Oddly enough I lived in Durango for 3 years and know for a fact that a lot of the public land is virtually impossible to access without a helicopter. So how much money do you actually think is spent out there? In fact what exactly does CPW spend on elk and deer management? It is a fair question and dodging it with your smartass crap makes you look like some liberal airhead.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're right it's a fair question. I don't pretend to have the answer to it, all I did was ask you what your basis is for concluding that no game management happens on public land, which is also a fair question. And apparently a question you can't answer.

And you do know that population surveys are conducted from the air as well as on the ground, right?

My smart-ass comment is the result of reading a bunch of non-residents complaining about fees to hunt in other states. The common thread seems to be an attitude of entitlement, that you're entitled to pay a fee that you find acceptable. I never think of it that way, I look at the fees that other states charge and make a decision. If I don't like their fee structure I don't hunt there. Because as a non-resident I understand that I have no say in how other states conduct their business.

And I damn sure know that I'm not entitled to demand an accounting from state agencies in states I don't reside in. So take your "liberal" bullsh** and stuff it.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Saddlesore,
2018 Deer Apps: Res 113, 370, NR 80,359 so a total minimum number of Small Game licenses would be that plus another 15,000 youth apps.

So your estimate is close.

I’m with you. I can choose to pay or go elsewhere. I’m not happy that I have to buy SG to apply for deer, but that’s just the way it is! My home state rapes nonresident hunters just as dry with no reach around either.

Happy Trails

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
Oddly enough I lived in Durango for 3 years and know for a fact that a lot of the public land is virtually impossible to access without a helicopter. So how much money do you actually think is spent out there? In fact what exactly does CPW spend on elk and deer management? It is a fair question and dodging it with your smartass crap makes you look like some liberal airhead.

Its because he is.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, if you've got nothing else to say, toss out "liberal," it's always an easy way out.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep, if you've got nothing else to say, toss out "liberal," it's always an easy way out.

Or if a liberal, toss out racist or nazi. Insults are easier than logic based on fact. 😂

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Could be worse guys.

Despite violating our Statehood Act in which Alaska was guaranteed in writing by the Feds that we would have management control over fish and game, when "subsistence" came along, the fg Feds "Indian-gave" (excuse the expression.... smile that very guarantee. We now have to contend with two sets of regulations (Fed and State) on some Fed administered lands (well over half of Alaska). Our governor at the time, Tony "Weasel" Knowles (D) withdrew the law suit, headed for the SC, eventually, and the 10th Circus Court (California) dismissed it "with prejudice", meaning that's it- cannot be resumed ever.

Plus Native regulations some places, but as that is private they can do what they want.

No extra fees involved usually, just PITA, and often, locked out of the activity in certain areas. The feds and state both pretty much rubber stamp anything the Natives want, even if it is putatively "public" land, if they call it "subsistence".

That said, I just ended 8 years of "subsistence" hunting by virtue of where I was living. It was lovely. Hell, one hardly had to read (or folloiw) regulations........... smile. Then pretty much only if one is white.

No that is not a racist comment - just a fact of life. Suck it up.

Last edited by las; 01/15/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been hunting elk off and on (actually a lot more on than off) in Colorado since 1963. Right now, I plan to go again this year if my health and conditioning holds up. Most of my "hunting buddies" no longer hunt, but a couple of them still show up at elk camp every year and they are willing to help me when I am fortunate enough to slay one.

Like some other posters here, I have been retired for a while, and basically living on a fixed income, and the cost of a nonresident license in Colorado keeps getting a little harder to justify to the Chancellor of the Exchequer each year. Nonetheless, I intend to be out there again, come the second weekend in October.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You're right it's a fair question. I don't pretend to have the answer to it, all I did was ask you what your basis is for concluding that no game management happens on public land, which is also a fair question. And apparently a question you can't answer.

And you do know that population surveys are conducted from the air as well as on the ground, right?

My smart-ass comment is the result of reading a bunch of non-residents complaining about fees to hunt in other states. The common thread seems to be an attitude of entitlement, that you're entitled to pay a fee that you find acceptable. I never think of it that way, I look at the fees that other states charge and make a decision. If I don't like their fee structure I don't hunt there. Because as a non-resident I understand that I have no say in how other states conduct their business.

And I damn sure know that I'm not entitled to demand an accounting from state agencies in states I don't reside in. So take your "liberal" bullsh** and stuff it.

Wrong again, if I have to spend more than $700. for a tag, resident or not I would think it would be reasonable to know what I am paying for. That would include some idea of what the state puts into game management for some understanding why the tag costs what it does. It seems you are some kind of troll actually so why would you argue against them putting out some evidence they do what they say we are paying for.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If the states received zero federal tax dollars or subsidies for the management of the game and lands within that state, or if the land within that state was wholly state owned with no federal lands or management, I might buy the argument that non residents have no say. The reality, however, is quite different.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everyone is just pissed because Colorado finally wised up and is going to get the going rate for tags. It was a round about circle jerk of a process, but they finally arrived at a solution that simply mirrors most other western states.

Our tags are still cheaper than other states and actually far less than places like Montana or Iowa for deer. And they will still sell 100% of all available non-resident draw tags. And they can raise the prices by the same amount next year and they will still sell 100% of all the available tags.

I quit paying points years ago in all other states. I travel for bird hunting and shoot the piss out of surrounding states bird populations for around $100 a year. Everyone needs to find their work around.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If the states received zero federal tax dollars or subsidies for the management of the game and lands within that state, or if the land within that state was wholly state owned with no federal lands or management, I might buy the argument that non residents have no say. The reality, however, is quite different.

Not really. The reality is, you have no say in how the CP&W conducts its business and how much it charges for tags unless you're a resident, which is how it should be and it works both ways. Although you do have the vote with your feet option.

Once again, the federal land is accessible to you but the animals are a public trust resource "owned" by the people of Colorado. You are not entitled to have a say in how our state agency manages them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Wrong again, if I have to spend more than $700. for a tag, resident or not I would think it would be reasonable to know what I am paying for. That would include some idea of what the state puts into game management for some understanding why the tag costs what it does. It seems you are some kind of troll actually so why would you argue against them putting out some evidence they do what they say we are paying for.

LOL, they have an annual report, you should get a copy and read it. But let me ask you this-- is your decision to purchase or not purchase a tag based on whether CP&W is performing sound game management on public lands, or the price of the tag?

And you still haven't answered my question. What is your contention that zero game management occurs on public land based on?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
Been hunting elk off and on (actually a lot more on than off) in Colorado since 1963. Right now, I plan to go again this year if my health and conditioning holds up. Most of my "hunting buddies" no longer hunt, but a couple of them still show up at elk camp every year and they are willing to help me when I am fortunate enough to slay one.

Like some other posters here, I have been retired for a while, and basically living on a fixed income, and the cost of a nonresident license in Colorado keeps getting a little harder to justify to the Chancellor of the Exchequer each year. Nonetheless, I intend to be out there again, come the second weekend in October.

Good post and good luck this year.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Not really. The reality is, you have no say in how the CP&W conducts its business and how much it charges for tags unless you're a resident, which is how it should be and it works both ways. Although you do have the vote with your feet option.

Once again, the federal land is accessible to you but the animals are a public trust resource "owned" by the people of Colorado. You are not entitled to have a say in how our state agency manages them.

Again, I completely understand the established thought process, and whether or not I agree with it, its the way it is. I also understand that arguing, or even debating, this approach is fruitless, as the only opinion held with regard "Pay it and be glad we let you, or stay out."

The sad reality is that I would absolutely love to pay it....year after year, when in fact, the more they raise the costs, the less likely it becomes I will ever be able to hunt out west, and even more unlikely my son will. OTC is still an option, but not for mule deer in many places. In the end, big game hunting is a luxury, and will remain as such as long as there is money in it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hear you and it's a shame that many people who would like to hunt here can't afford an out-of-state hunt. I wish all tags were a lot less than they are now but as 30338 observed, Colorado is just coming up to par with other states.

With our over-the-counter unlimited bull tags and the numbers of draw tags that CP&W sells, if the tags were much less than other states we'd be more overrun with the orange army than we are now. It would be easier to afford, but not worth your time in my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Not really. The reality is, you have no say in how the CP&W conducts its business and how much it charges for tags unless you're a resident, which is how it should

You're a resident,
tell me how you effectively have any say in CP&W business and how much they charge for tags.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I hear you and it's a shame that many people who would like to hunt here can't afford an out-of-state hunt. I wish all tags were a lot less than they are now but as 30338 observed, Colorado is just coming up to par with other states.

With our over-the-counter unlimited bull tags and the numbers of draw tags that CP&W sells, if the tags were much less than other states we'd be more overrun with the orange army than we are now. It would be easier to afford, but not worth your time in my opinion.

That is the ever present conundrum, isn't it? Do we increase hunter numbers to save the sport, or do we restrict them to keep them from over running everything?

I guess I just always assumed that once I got to be a grown up, I would be able to afford a few decent western hunts. As I was growing up, I kept watching prices creep higher and higher. Like many things, I see, to have just missed the "good old days," just as younger folks than me will say later down the road.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Not really. The reality is, you have no say in how the CP&W conducts its business and how much it charges for tags unless you're a resident, which is how it should

You're a resident,
tell me how you effectively have any say in CP&W business and how much they charge for tags.

Same way any residnet of any other state has a say. They hold public meetings and they ask for comments on proposed changes. And I vote.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I plan on stopping applying for moose this year so that $50 they won't get. May apply for goat still but this is the last year of that for sure, already killed one anyway. So I'll have my say by not spending on those tags. I had my say in Arizona, Iowa, New Mexico and Utah by stopping applying for tags there. They didn't notice as there are thousands lined up clinching their cash and ready to pay. No concern of mine really. There is more to life than this stuff lol. But it makes for fun arguments while January fades away.

Good luck to you Mudhen, hope you have a great time and see/kill your elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

You're a resident,

Same way any residnet of any other state has a say. They hold public meetings and they ask for comments on proposed changes. And I vote.

And I highly doubt your input was even slightly considered or mattered, which is why I said "effectively".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There's that entitlement attitude again. As an individual, I don't expect to get my way with these things. Government doesn't work that way at any level.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
All this talk of increasing costs....may have to just modify my western states hunting goals. The older I get, the more a big ol Tom Turkey or a coyote on a string excites me. Hell of a lot easier to pack out, too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There's that entitlement attitude again. As an individual, I don't expect to get my way with these things. Government doesn't work that way at any level.

What a dimwit! The federal lands are properties for all of us not just a bunch of closed door lefties. And why do you think Colorado is above scrutiny? Do you think they have something to hide?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You appear to be the liberal jackass acting as if your state government is accountable to no one.

LOL, they have an annual report, you should get a copy and read it. But let me ask you this-- is your decision to purchase or not purchase a tag based on whether CP&W is performing sound game management on public lands, or the price of the tag?

And you still haven't answered my question. What is your contention that zero game management occurs on public land based on?

Based on your inability to cite any of it.

So you think vague population survey's done by air is all the game management Colorado should have to do?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think the CPW should use some of that extra non-res increase funds to hire a couple phone monkeys to answer to all the texans that demand a full accounting of where each penny they spend here goes, and how....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
maybe that'll shut 'em the hell up....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They'll be able to afford corn feeders now I reckon. I think corn = game management in a lot of areas.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
maybe that'll shut 'em the hell up....

I doubt it.... LOL!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks, Hunts! We needed some levity and humor on this thread!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks, Hunts! We needed some levity and humor on this thread!

Who is that guy, Hunts Hall?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

What a dimwit! The federal lands are properties for all of us not just a bunch of closed door lefties. And why do you think Colorado is above scrutiny? Do you think they have something to hide?

LOL, I already acknowledged that federal lands are open to all, maybe you should go back and see for yourself. But the animals on the federal lands are "owned" by the people of Colorado, same as any other state.

And all the whining in the world won't change that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yipes. I must be the only person capable of making due with what's presented. Don't like the current trends in Colorado,so I'm coming out of the system. I have 3 elk points left. Ill burn them and move on. Lots of places to spend money. It's not just what the CPW is doing. It's the whole hippie pot smoking horse chit nonsense that's going on. We would hit a particular watering hole in Gunnison. We use to drink with wranglers,hunters,ranchers. This year,we had a tough time getting a beer. Then they offered that we could,if we wanted,join in trivia night. [bleep] that. Not going to war over it. Don't like what they have done to one of my favorite western towns. So I'm off to other pastures. Simple.

Last edited by Otter6; 01/17/19.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That sounds like a scene out of Blazing Saddles.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

So you think vague population survey's done by air is all the game management Colorado should have to do?

I tell you what rickt, I think I have a solution for your problem. It may sound far-fetched to you, even radical, but here it is:

If you don't like the job CP&W is doing, or you don't like the product they're selling, do what millions of people in similar situations do every day---don't buy it.

If enough people feel the same way and don't buy the product, CP&W will lose revenue and be forced to lower their prices and/or offer up a better product.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 30338
That sounds like a scene out of Blazing Saddles.

Ill tell you how bad its gotten. Rest rooms carry no designations. Yep. We looked pretty silly I bet. There were fall decorations hanging on the doors at the one diner. I went looking for the means room. So,there I am. Looking under all the corn and pumpkins for the little fella on the door. Weren't any. Its like the whole damn place has gone off its rocker. Its no place for a country boy. Same sex, no sex, bi sex, tri sex. Too complicated for me. My sister is a flaming liberal. We don't visit. Be a summitch if I'm going to drive 30 hrs to be surrounded by them.

Last edited by Otter6; 01/17/19.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I tell you what rickt, I think I have a solution for your problem. It may sound far-fetched to you, even radical, but here it is:

If you don't like the job CP&W is doing, or you don't like the product they're selling, do what millions of people in similar situations do every day---don't buy it.

If enough people feel the same way and don't buy the product, CP&W will lose revenue and be forced to lower their prices and/or offer up a better product.

The job they are doing? I asked you the emperor of Co. to point out some real game management practices CPW is involved in. So far nothing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You've got it backward rick. I'm not the one trying to prove something here, you are. I don't have time to spoon feed you information on stuff that's available to anyone with an internet connection, I already told you where to start so quit your whining and do it.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
CPW was bound to run short of cash at some point. Even with some management and administrative efficiencies, taking on funding of parks was predictably going to fall on the user group willing to pay more. See how many would pay $660 for a park license. Inflation and higher employee benefit costs aren’t going to stop anytime soon. So like the old Australian foreplay joke, “Brace yourself, Grace”.

I don’t pretend to know how well CPW manages big game other than to say there are usually adequate licenses and tasty critters where we hunt. I’m more pissed at Mr. Gore and his global warming bs than anything else...

Happy Trails, y’all

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
More money.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A couple things. Even if you're only applying for points you must purchase a small game license and habitat stamp. There is an opt out option of the pp fee for the big 3. Colorado already makes more in license fees than any 2 western states combined, liable to make it 3 after this increase. I've figured it out and as a resident I'll be paying an extra $286 this year if I do things exactly as I did them last fall. CP&W doesn't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem. If you dont think this sux and is just wrong, you're just a sheep.

Last edited by DW7; 01/27/19.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
CP&W doesn't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem. If you dont think this sux and is just wrong, you're just a sheep.

This!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DW7
CP&W doesn't have a revenue problem, they have a spending problem. If you dont think this sux and is just wrong, you're just a sheep.

Their fees are right in line with other western states. What sucks is the number of licenses they sell.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
What sucks is the number of licenses they sell.

I'll sure agree with that,but they won't curtail those sales.

It's going to be interesting as to what will come out of these meetings that CPW is currently having concerning the next 5 year big game structure. They are asking for public input, but my bet is they already have it made up and it will reflect these latest fee increases

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/27/19.

D
DW7 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DW7

Their fees are right in line with other western states. What sucks is the number of licenses they sell.

Agree smokepole. When they switched my unit to either sex elk it got overrun. I told my buddy in order for us to change that we needed to make this place look like the buffalo prairies of the 1800's and knock the elk back till it got to hard to kill an elk and run these guys off. I've been killin 2 elk a year (all I'm allowed) ever since. There are fewer elk, they've eliminated either sex and hunter #'s have gone down some but not enough yet. I'll keep killin as many as I can get tags for in hopes of weedin out more guys. Meanwhile I still gotta deal with morons "scouting" the day before season, flagging tape everywhere that I fill my pockets with, shooting their new ar the day before season, and loading up their trash on my way out. I figure I need to do this for 10 more years to see a noticeable decline.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DW7
Originally Posted by DW7

Agree smokepole. When they switched my unit to either sex elk it got overrun. I told my buddy in order for us to change that we needed to make this place look like the buffalo prairies of the 1800's and knock the elk back till it got to hard to kill an elk and run these guys off. I've been killin 2 elk a year (all I'm allowed) ever since. There are fewer elk, they've eliminated either sex and hunter #'s have gone down some but not enough yet. I'll keep killin as many as I can get tags for in hopes of weedin out more guys. Meanwhile I still gotta deal with morons "scouting" the day before season, flagging tape everywhere that I fill my pockets with, shooting their new ar the day before season, and loading up their trash on my way out. I figure I need to do this for 10 more years to see a noticeable decline.

Wow I don't know how you could have painted yourself more of an Ahole!

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yep,everyone wants to run every one else out of the woods.It's OK for me to be there,but no none else mentality.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Only problem is that they won't lower prices or improve the product. They will raise prices and fees and hunting will become a rich man's sport/hobby and it will be one step closer to ending as we know it. Once it stops providing revenue to pay for something the libs want it will be done. CO has already went over the edge in politics since this past election and the last thing they'll worry about is if hunters and sportsmen are getting a fair shake. Thank goodness I'm getting to the age where it soon won't matter to me because I won't be able to do it anymore. I don't have children so I don't have to worry what happens after me.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Simple solution for those that don’t want to pay the fees or don’t have the money or just like to complain. Is to take all the money you would spend on licenses,gas,supplies,meals,outfitters,packers,meat processing,taxidermy and other things in the state of Colorado and buy your local beef and/or pork from a nearby farmer(s). In your own state. Fill your freezer with guaranteed success. You will have plenty more money left over to fill another freezer with chicken, sausage and burger.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you are looking for cheap animal protein, going out of state hunting is not the way to do it. Never was and never will be.

Previous posters are spot on: If you don't want to pay the cost and fees, stay under the porch. I consider it a privilege to hunt Colorado (not my home state) and feel blessed that I have had the resources to make that trip for the past 14 seasons. Bitching about the government is as American as baseball and apple pie.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RMerta
Simple solution for those that don’t want to pay the fees or don’t have the money or just like to complain. Is to take all the money you would spend on licenses,gas,supplies,meals,outfitters,packers,meat processing,taxidermy and other things in the state of Colorado and buy your local beef and/or pork from a nearby farmer(s). In your own state. Fill your freezer with guaranteed success. You will have plenty more money left over to fill another freezer with chicken, sausage and burger.

I think the simple solution for a lot is going to be an increase in poaching

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.