Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
While I am sure there are some resident Africa / Safari Experts here, I would suggest that you pose your question over at Accurate Reloading:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve

They live / eat / breathe all things Africa / Safari / Big-Dangerous Game Hunting.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Rolly
I was scheduled to fly from Spokane, WA to Seattle, pick up my guns there, then re-check them aboard a Condor Airlines flight to Frankfort Germany and after an 8 hour layover there, fly direct to Windhoek, Namibia. This apparently was the preferred route as opposed to going from here to Atlanta to JoBerg, having a days layover there and then re-checking the guns in Jo Berg and going to Windhoek.

Does this routing sound reasonable or are there better routes. I would like to only have to check my rifle once going and coming, not multiple times. Opinions or advice ?

Rolly:

AVOID AIR NAMIBIA AT ALL COSTS if that is the airline you were planning on using from Frankfurt into Windhoek. Air Namibia has always had a bad problem with cancelling flights, both their international, regional and domestic, due to financial problems like unable to pay their fuel bills and contract maintenance. It has gotten even WORSE the past few years. A few weeks ago they were in contract negotiations with the company they are leasing their three Airbus aircraft they use for the long haul Frankfurt/Windhoek route with the goal of canceling the contract/aircraft and declaring bankruptcy for the entire airline. This Aug, our Air Namibia flight from Gaborone to Windhoek was canceled and we nearly missed our flight home from Windhoek the next day.

Condor Airlines - be VERY sure they allow firearms! The last info I had was they DON'T. They could have changed that but absolutely double check and be 100% sure.

Only other ways to get to Windhoek without going through Johannesburg - Qatar Air via Doha Qatar and direct into/out of Windhoek 3-days a week. Delta/KLM direct to/from Amsterdam 3-days a week and British Airways via London. Be careful with BA, the flight to/from Windhoek runs out of Gatwick and most other international flights arrive/depart Heathrow (or vice versa) You have to claim baggage and firearms, change airports and re-check. Problem is you CAN'T carry your firearms or ammo. You have get transit permits and hire a lic transfer agent and last time I checked it cost $600 for two rifle cases EACH WAY.

Wife and I did the Delta/KLM route this past Aug. You do have to get a transit permit to go through Amsterdam. You get the form off the KLM website. Six pages but the instructions are very clear and easy. Fill it out and email it in at LEAST 8 WEEKS before your flight. They will email your permit back a few days before your flight. Your luggage and rifle cases will be checked all the way through. If you have a long layover, you can get a day room at the Yotel right in the secure area of the airport. If you have a short layover they also offer a shower booth.

In my opine - by all means take your personal firearms while you can. Yes, they do add complications and you do have to be extra careful in your planning and they do limit your movements within the various countries if you want to do additional sightseeing, but it is all doable with some very good pre-planning. My personal "rule of thumb" is NEVER book less than a 4 hour layover in an international airport or if you have to change airlines or clear immigration/custom. You might make your flights, but the tighter the connection time the less likely your luggage and especially firearms will make your flights. This includes re-entering the US. The primary reason is firearms require special handling and have to basically be signed for by everyone who touches the cases and in non-US countries, either police or special security personnel are required to transport or store between flights.

I'm retired military. Traveled to 68 counties total in my mil life and 30+ safaris with firearms in the past 12-years.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I knew that the rifles available for use were quality and accurate, I would use them. For instance, my last PH in Namibia was a bit of a gun crank like me. Would not bring a rifle to hunt with him again, just use one there and save the hassle

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by duckster
If I knew that the rifles available for use were quality and accurate, I would use them. For instance, my last PH in Namibia was a bit of a gun crank like me. Would not bring a rifle to hunt with him again, just use one there and save the hassle

+1

After our last trip (RSA 10/18) I would only rent. First trip -- take 'em and learn. Remember LOTS of tip money, unless you are comfortable with the European approach. ("Get stuffed, you!")

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just for grins, since I hadn't looked up British Airways direct flights from London into Windhoek in awhile, I though I'd check them out.

NOPE, not any longer. BA does fly into J'berg but then you have to transfer to either Comair (won't carry firearms - period), South African Airlines (charge an extra fee for firearms), South African Airlink or Express (extra fee for firearms) or Air Namibia (extra fee for firearms and hope your flight doesn't get cancelled).

I also checked Condor Air and it seems they do alow firearms now. I'd still be a bit leery about flying them as they are "part of the Thomas Cook Group" and Thomas Cook just went tits up a few weeks ago and left 600k travelers stranded.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
163bc....I won't go without my own rifle...You won't be used to the ones they have and a lot are not in that great of shape..3 trips,,no big deal ..Just check before you go..

E
E
Originally Posted by Rolly
Next August I will be hunting in Namibia. I was to make the trip this past August but health problems in our family forced me to cancel. I was scheduled to fly from Spokane, WA to Seattle, pick up my guns there, then re-check them aboard a Condor Airlines flight to Frankfort Germany and after an 8 hour layover there, fly direct to Windhoek, Namibia. This apparently was the preferred route as opposed to going from here to Atlanta to JoBerg, having a days layover there and then re-checking the guns in Jo Berg and going to Windhoek.

Does this routing sound reasonable or are there better routes. I would like to only have to check my rifle once going and coming, not multiple times. Opinions or advice ?

In 15 when we went we did the Condor route USA to Frankfurt then Frankfurt to Windhoek.
German customs was great both going and coming. Condor itself in Frankfurt was an absolute nightmare both going and coming. Your mileage of course may vary, but I would definitely budget a bunch of time to argue with the SOB's at the counter if you want your rifles to actually travel with you on the plane.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.