Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13430187 01/07/19
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I usually slice the heart, marinade it in my fajita marinade and grill ot pan grill it. I'm thinking of something new, I found a recipe for tenders using wine, vinegar rosemary and some other spices of course it was tender, and I would have to cook the heart differently, but the sauce made from the marinade was wonderful. Any ideas. capt david

"It's not how hard you hit 'em, it's where you hit 'em." The 30-06 will, with the right bullet, successfully take any game animal in North America up to 300yds.

If you are a hunter, and farther than that, get closer!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did some beef heart a couple months back.

Cleaned and cut into slabs or filets. Marinate in balsamic overnight. Grill on high heat until medrare at the most. Ground pepper and a bit of salt, let rest. Slice thin across any grain you may have.

I loved it.

Others I’ve soaked in saltwater for about 12 hours, changing water frequently. Slice thin, pat dry, dredge in seasoned flour and fry in HOT grease. Again, med rare or so.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Look up meateater's recipe with a whole heart stuffed with cubbed up apple, onion and garlic I think. Saw it on a show and looked real good. Wrapped it in foil and tossed in the coals for a while.

You'll shoot your eye out
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Venison heart is by far my most favorite piece of meat from a deer. I've cooked it a few ways and the way I like it best was mentioned above. Slice it fairly thin, coat in your favorite fish breading, and fry it in a cast iron pan with butter and onions. Don't overcook, I still like it med rare.

I have one in the freezer and will do it like I did a beef tongue. I will season whole and smoke until it hits 160 IT. Then I will wrap in foil and finish it on the cooker until it hits around 200. I will then dice it up and make "carne asada" tacos. The beef tongue was awesome like that, tender and still juicy. Not sure how the heart will turn out when cooked to that temp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only large animal heart I've eaten was beef heart which I had no part in cooking.

It was dredged in flour and spices and fried about med....it was ok but I won't be rushing out to buy some any time soon.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I grew up with my mother cutting the liver into rounds in order to trick us into thinking it was heart. So I am a little leary when eating heart cut into rounds. But we had an Oregon hunter cook some venison heart one year after he had filleted it. It was a very good steak, that everyone loved. The filleting it removed the grisly skin. Marinated would be very good. Alas, this years elks hearts were perforated so I did not recover.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I like to cook them in butter, garlic and onion.

I've stuffed them as well and they are great.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just another Muscle, I also Like Venison Heart! and Liver!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Get a couple and make some stroganoff with it...

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's great as shish ka bob.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heart and tongue are probably the most undervalued and underused meats from an animal - at least in the US. Elsewhere, they are rightfully prized.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
RockyRaab,

I do NOT eat heart or liver but LOVE cold/thick-sliced tongue sandwiches with RAW onion & mustard.

yours, tex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Y'all can have it.......heart, tongue......might have been alright for the Injuns, but I've no desire to try I. I have eaten beef liver, and I love fried chicken livers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're a third of the way there, tex. You too, James. Congrats! One step at a time and you'll eventually be another "nose to tailer".

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trim it, stuff it with croutons. Top with a couple slices of bacon, then put it in a covered dish along with a little water and some onions, spices, or salsa and bake it at 350. When it's done, slice it about 1/4" and make sandwiches with lots of mayo.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I eat deer heart and liver every year. Clean it very carefully to remove all the fat and excess blood. What I don't cook gets saved for spring catfish bait. Works great and stays on the set line hooks very well It's not uncommon to catch four or more on the same bait.

S
S
And if try the simple for the meat? It can be rather tasty, if you add the spices and so you will just imitate it further.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to go wrong cooking heart so long as you don't overcook it.

Agree with RockyRaab and DarlaG. Tongue sandwiches are the bomb, with tacos not far behind.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My family would not eat hearts. so I ground it up with the burger, no one ever knew.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,702
Posts18,456,802
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.