Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks djones....that video is why I asked about humidity.....I fight it constantly using the thermals I currently have access to. I have to manually ‘nuke’ these, so humid conditions drive me batshit and eat batteries at a higher rate. I'm used to nights where I can’t see much but the emitters. LOL

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by BWilson
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by David_Walter
these?

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00285s30303/30-caliber-point308-diameter-150-grain-poly-tipped-wcannelure-300-savage-100-count-box-(blemished)
Personally, I think 150s are too heavy for this class cartridge - they eat up too much powder space. I'd save them for 30/30 or above. I would not go heavier than 130gr or maybe 135gr. That's just my preference. About the longest bullet I want to use is a 125gr Nosler BT.

I'd give these a try. I can't recommend them expansion-wise, because MS doesn't tell you what they really are.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00285s30192/30-caliber-point308-diameter-125-grain-hollow-point-wcannelure-100-count-(blemished)

Here's some 135gr flat bases that may work.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00285s3027/30-caliber-point308-diameter-135-grain-flexible-tipped-wcannelure-100-count-box-(blemished)

Tyrone

I beg to differ with you on your opinion of 150gr bullets. Personally I've found 150gr bullets such as the Hornady SST and Speer Gold Dot to be capable of taking some very large game such as Elk, Kudu, Wildebeest, Waterbuck and Zebra. Also if you run the #s on one of the ballistic programs you will find that a 150gr at 2300fps shoots flatter at 200-250yds than a 125gr at 2500fps due to the higher BC.

Also the Nosler 125gr BT or AB bullets are not compatible with the 300 HAM'R, they have to much of their weight at the base and the ogive is wrong resulting is them taking up too much powder space and poor accuracy due to the long jump the bullet has to make to the rifling.

BW,

What are you considering too long a jump with the NBT's.

The shoot well for me with some very long jumps.

I don't have any #s handy, but all I know is if I load the 125 NBT to 2.255" I get 2-3" groups, if I take them to a belt sander and buzz the polymer tip off flush with the jacket they shoot sub-inch. I can only assume it's the jump to the rifling.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
In the 150s, it looks like a flat base is the key.

A flat base certainly helps, BUT the Hornady #30303 150gr SST with boattail shoots very well for me and you can get 30fps more velocity out of it than any of the other 150gr bullets based on our pressure testing.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I don't have any #s handy, but all I know is if I load the 125 NBT to 2.255" I get 2-3" groups, if I take them to a belt sander and buzz the polymer tip off flush with the jacket they shoot sub-inch. I can only assume it's the jump to the rifling.

I would call that good test of your hypothesis.

Now that you mention it, dad trims the tips the 200gr NBT's in his .338 WM, and it that rifle, it helps tighten up the groups as well.

Thanks.

Have you know the H2o volume of your cases?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered 500.

I have brass and dies on order. Can’t wait for the upper.

A flat base certainly helps, BUT the Hornady #30303 150gr SST with boattail shoots very well for me and you can get 30fps more velocity out of it than any of the other 150gr bullets based on our pressure testing.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

Now that you mention it, dad trims the tips the 200gr NBT's in his .338 WM, and it that rifle, it helps tighten up the groups as well.

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know the water volume, just that a fireformed LC cases and Sig mfg 300 HAM'R cases have the most capacity.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Thanks.

Sorry, I don't know the water volume, just that a fireformed LC cases and Sig mfg 300 HAM'R cases have the most capacity.

Removing the plastic tip would not change the jump to the rifling.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

Thanks.

Removing the plastic tip would not change the jump to the rifling.

By removing the tip you can seat the bullets out thus reducing the distance form the ogive to the rifling and still fit the cartridge in a AR-15 magazine

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I gotcha, yes seating the bullets out would make a greater jump. It read as the only change was removing the plastic tip.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The brother in law and his friend have had hogs run back to them sometimes when they bust the herd.

Some have been killed with a shotgun loaded with some number 1 buck shot that i cast out of wheel weights.

Have you ever had a double line up perfectly?
many times pigs run away from the sound of the impact of the first pig hit. they also tend to run back in the direction they came from. i've tried to get creative on steering them in the direction i want. then again, they can get just as creative and run right at me, lol

i was still shooting a 6.8 here with an armasight zeus. pig was pumping blood pretty good but kept coming. i was hiding a couple of rows inside the corn and they never knew where i was!!

as far as doubles go, yes i've tried that numerous times but only seem to get the first one. i tend to use destructive bullets and probably don't do much damage if/when they exit.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, anyone but me building one of these based on this thread?

John Stark.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
well dw.. looks like you are the only one in the drawing to win a free ham'r by mentioning this thread, and therefore win by default. congrats!!

meanwhile.. i'm getting ready for a new year's party...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dj,

Is that your 125 TNT load?

I have 500 of the 300 savage 150 SST bullets, dies, brass and a chamber gauge on the way while I wait for the upper.

Trying to find CFEBLK in the local area.

John Stark.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
well... not exactly. i asked for 500 of the 125tnt for xmas. wifey means well but got the 130 hot core. even tho we all search for the holy grail of calibers, bullets, load recipie etc, for me it really doesnt matter. ive shot into herds with many bullets. sometimes they all die, sometimes not so many. decided to keep the 130s. went to load them and violá... i found 600 of the 110 spire points i forgot i had when i went to the 125s. decided to load them instead. the 110s are whats in the pic.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So, anyone but me building one of these based on this thread?

Yes, I see at least one of these in my future. Maybe a 16" and 20"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
sorry dw. i dint see the late entry from as. looks like yawl are in a runoff for the free hamr. for the tie breaker, i will need each of you to submit an executive brief titled... why you cant kill a hog with a 223.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Contest? How do I enter? smile

Politics is War by Other Means
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
what do you mean... how do you enter?? ur the one who told me about it!!

tell ya what tho.. even tho i'm not affiliated with wilson combat, send me 1,000 125 tnt boolets and i'll see what i can do about getting you a cap

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now that's a deal if i have ever heard one. laugh

Good shooting.

If you can give a general location where you are having such a pig problem.

We have been going north of Plains and there are a lot there.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
im in the panhandle too. i usually farther north of you but im familiar with ur area. bet weve walked across some of the same circles.

loaded up another 50. ready to do battle now. if i have 100 rounds i can shoot till theyre over the hill, lol

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 14 invisible), 2,215 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,667
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.