Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’m thinking I just gotta play with a HAMR....soonish.

I’m waffling between 16 and 18”.....no real logic to it.....generally lean 16.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/30/19.
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
my buddy who is a prostaffer for wilson got a 16 inch. i'm happy with the 18 but you can't go wrong with either one. i think wilson had test results posted somewhere showing the velocity change with one inch barrel length reductions over different brands of ammo. there was some difference but nothing worth fretting over velocity wise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
X-Caliber makes a nice 7.62x40WT barrel in about any configuration you can think of.

http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel

Politics is War by Other Means
G
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone
X-Caliber makes a nice 7.62x40WT barrel in about any configuration you can think of.

http://www.x-caliber.net/custom-ar-barrel

No one loves their 7.62x40WT more than I. However, if I was going to build something new it would be chambered in 300 HAM'R.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Graycard
No one loves their 7.62x40WT more than I. However, if I was going to build something new it would be chambered in 300 HAM'R.
Frankly, I'd ask them about doing a 300 HAMR. The main difference is in throat length, which helps with the 150s but does nothing for the 125s. I'm running a XCaliber 5R using less powder with 125s and get 100fps more than the 300 data shows.

They are arguably all but identical cartridges. There's only a millimeter (.040") difference in case length.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wilson’s configurations cover my needs pretty well, and he’s probably got dialed in what works best for the HAMR, I’d suspect.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
2019 year end total for the 300 HAM'R, 209 boars and 205 sows for a total of 414 + 3 boars with the .350 Legend for a grand total of 417 hogs.

All total for 2019 counting hogs, deer, Elk, African game, coyotes and coons I figure I shot around 550rds of 300 HAM'R at fur last year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, my upper is built and on the way.

Thanks Mr Wilson!

For a room clearing gun, the 300 BO with heavy sub Sonics may be a better choice. But I don’t think so.

For an all around 30 caliber on a AR15 frame with 223 sized cases, I think this is a perfect solution.

I suspect it will be the house gun with a red dot and a can and a hunting rig with a SWFA 3-9 and a can.

If there’s a downside, I’m not seeing it.

Can’t wait to get the upper and the ammo loaded and give it a go.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess this now begs the question, where can a guy hunt pigs in WA or OR?

John Stark.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by David_Walter
So, anyone but me building one of these based on this thread?

Yes, I see at least one of these in my future. Maybe a 16" and 20"?

I just got home from traveling over the holidays, and the 18" Ham'r barrel was waiting for me. I put some ammo together tonight, and I definitely recommend buying new Ham'r brass, versus making it from .223 cases. I'm really looking forward to shooting this thing!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I put some ammo together tonight, and I definitely recommend buying new Ham'r brass, versus making it from .223 cases.
Why is that, Dan?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dan -

That’s what I’ve seen from my 6.8 SPC as well, they hit fine, and fly fine... but if you want better stopping performance than ballistics the 300 HAM ‘R. (HAM... LOL too funny) has better terminal performance, or at least the opportunity of it.

I say that because you can see the hogs in the 300 vid’s go down faster / harder than with the 6.8 vid.

Personally I have experienced bullets moving at 2400 penetrate better than ones that 27/2900 which cause lots of meat damage
- when a critter is running, hitting a bone takes them down hard, and pigs have heavy bones so I can definitely see a HAM’R hamming better performance...
Dead is dead, the 6.8 has longer / flatter tragectory, but the HAM will drop more faster IMO.

Love you videos...

Originally Posted by djones
Originally Posted by plainsman456
The brother in law and his friend have had hogs run back to them sometimes when they bust the herd.

Some have been killed with a shotgun loaded with some number 1 buck shot that i cast out of wheel weights.

Have you ever had a double line up perfectly?
many times pigs run away from the sound of the impact of the first pig hit. they also tend to run back in the direction they came from. i've tried to get creative on steering them in the direction i want. then again, they can get just as creative and run right at me, lol

i was still shooting a 6.8 here with an armasight zeus. pig was pumping blood pretty good but kept coming. i was hiding a couple of rows inside the corn and they never knew where i was!!

as far as doubles go, yes i've tried that numerous times but only seem to get the first one. i tend to use destructive bullets and probably don't do much damage if/when they exit.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
i prefer loading the 300 brass too. i ripped the necks off several 223 cases during the process. granted my brass was of unknown age and random origin. my hunting bud has loaded over 2,000 and only split a few necks. we both used the 300 hamr die to open case in one step. all my experienced handloading buds told me that was nutts and i should go 6mm, 7mm and then 30 cal. that's more time than i will spend loading ammo. heck i don't even like loading ammo.

fortunately my bud does and he made 500 rounds for me at the beginning of december. i already went through them and 150 more this week. i think wilson's bullet to kill ratio is a little better than mine, lol

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
. i think wilson's bullet to kill ratio is a little better than mine, lol[/quote]

DJ that might be the understatement of 2020 !!!

Seriously though, we're not comparing apples to apples for the most part........DJ and team Oinkin primarily hunt cropland fields with the goal to kill every man, woman and child while I'm primarily hunting woods, river bottoms and cattle grazing land with the goal of killing the largest hog out of the group with surgical precision after getting as close as I can for the shot. I do occasionally shoot multiple hogs out of the same group, but I'm still always trying to drop a hog with every shot. I've been out and shot with DJ and crew and in crop fields up on the Red River and it is a blast when you get in a large group and 2-3 of you are trying to kill every hog in the group.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Djones,

If you are shooting AR’s you need to get yourself a Dillon 650 or better progressing - you’ll go nuts doing it with a manual. I jumped up to the 650 when I started shooting high power, and it als comes in handy loading up for Pdog shooting.

NOW... Question is have you tried the 350 Legend yet on Hogs ?? :), shorter rang I think it would do fine, but some of the longer range stuff it may fall like a rock.

Spot

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
dillon 650 huh? i may have to check that out.

never tried a legend. between a 308, 6.8 and hamr, i'm as close to optimal as i need for pigging.

wilson...
understatement huh? ok I deserved that, lol. now I’ll share this with everyone...

buddy invited wilson to come out and hunt. sure enough we got on them. hogs started to roll with the punches. two guys were rounding up dead hogs and wilson tells me he thinks he has a wounded one out there.

so, we approach his wounded hog. I already put my rifle up in the truck (yea, I know better). mind you I had never met wilson before but certainly knew who he was. I shine my flashlight on his hip and ask what he’s carrying, he said it was some kind of superduper 45 something or other. I said…”well do you know how to shoot that piece-a-crap”. he calmly remarked he and some other fella named hackberry, or something like that, put 1,200 rounds through it the week before. I said.. "well get up close so you don’t miss the damm thing", bwaahahaha.

I will say, for a famous guy, you’re good company and take teasing well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I put some ammo together tonight, and I definitely recommend buying new Ham'r brass, versus making it from .223 cases.
Why is that, Dan?

Prepping brass is, easily, my least favorite loading chore. Trimming 50 pcs of .223 brass down to .300 Ham'r length took a fair amount of time, even with an RCBS power trimmer and 3-way cutter.

When the dies arrived, I split a bunch of cases (about 40%, actually) when I necked them up to .30 cal. Some splits were minor, and I saved those cases to make dummy rounds, but a lot of the split cases are completely unusable. These were all fired cases, so that may have had something to do with it. If I'm buying new brass, anyway, Starline's .300 Ham'r brass doesn't cost a whole lot more than their .223 brass. For the significant difference in case-prep time, though, I prefer to just get right to it.

I buy new .280AI brass, as well. Fireforming just doesn't do it for my anymore, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How are you trimming the 5.56 to 390 HAM’R cases?

John Stark.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
David,

At first, I let the trimmer to all the work, but it took forever. I then used my carbide chop saw to knock off most of the case neck, and then I let the case trimmer do the rest. This method was faster, of course, but still tedious. I will gladly pay the extra 4-cents a piece for Starline to do the work for me. It's a bargain, at twice the price! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'm going to shoot my 7.62x40 about 10,000 times, then take a throating reamer and ream the throat out to HAM'R specs, leaving the chamber in x40.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,370 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.