Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Does anybody have experience with this rifle? Good, bad, I can't find much
For reviews on it. Seems to be a lot more on the speed model.

A local gun store has one in 270 wsm. This is the model with the heavier barrel,
But not the McMillan stock.

Any first hand experience would he great, would be my first long range type rifle.

Last edited by JackVliet; 01/03/19.
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The aftermarket is lacking on Xbolts but it's not a deal breaker because most shoot very well. I don't think I've heard of an Xbolt that didn't shoot well. Mcarbo makes a spring that is easily installed and brings the trigger pull down to 1-2 pounds safely.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Timney is making triggers for the X bolt

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Jard makes the best for the XBolt

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well I went ahead and bought the gun, I'm pretty excited. The 270 wsm has always interested me.
And l will get some range time with a rifle meant for long range.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
geedubya has one in 26 Nosler an is quite fond of it

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Well I went ahead and bought the gun, I'm pretty excited. The 270 wsm has always interested me.
And l will get some range time with a rifle meant for long range.

JackVliet,

Congrats on your new .270 WSM! I also own one, and love it.
FWIW- I just did a comparison with it, and the much-vaunted and hyped 6.5 Creedmoor, on JBM Ballistics. If interested, PM me, and I will send it to you- I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the comparison!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
yup!

I lightened the trigger per instructions to +/- 2.5 lbs

did my usual 50 strokes thru the barrel with a bronze bore brush coated with a JB Bore Paste/Kroil mix, then cleaned to bare metal,

mounted a scope, took it to the range and zero'd at 200.

I'm 4 for 4 with my mine. Two hoglets on two different outings a white-tail cull buck on the next outing, and an Aoudad ewe taken last Friday.

All DRT. Bang flop with 142 Gr. LR Accubonds.

I like the tang safety, bolt lock on safe, and the slim fore-end that just fits my palm for toting. I've quite a few excellent shooters, but the last 4 outings, this is the only rifle that I've hunted.

I like it that much!

[Linked Image]

Aoudad ewe from last Friday eve.

[Linked Image]

Cull Buck

[Linked Image]

one of two hoglets.

It works for me

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice work

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Nice work Geedubya.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
What scope is that on yours Geedubya? Would like to try dialing for the first time.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a 6.5 CM Hells Canyon long range McMillan before Christmas. Just got my $75.00 rebate that Browning was running. Just mounted a Nightforce NXS with Burris XTR signature rings on the supplied rail

Hope to get to the range soon! I have high hopes for this rig.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice Gee... Glad to hear praise of something other than a 6.5 Creed!!!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
What scope is that on yours Geedubya? Would like to try dialing for the first time.

JV,

I've mentioned on numerous occasions that I am not a long range shooter. I'd say 95% of the shots I take are at 200 yds or under. I do have a couple places where I hunt that I can stretch out to 400 yds. and one where can go 650 yds and out.

May seem nutz, but I have rifles zero'd at 100 and 200 yds. If I'm gonna be shooting past 200, I usually know the ballistics of cartridge that the rifle I'm hunting, and hold over. Typically no problem to 300 yds. If I expect shots to be 300 to 400 yds I have a Rem, Sendero in 338 RUM with a Boone & Crockett Reticle that works, so far every time it has been tried to 400 yds.

I once heard/read that a good rule of thumb is 4x per 100 yds for white-tail deer sized critters. Don't know if that is true, but it is the rule of thumb I have subscribed to. So I chose a 4 -16 power scope. Sixteen power/400 yds. Forty MM to 44mm is my favorite front objective, but I will do a 50mm from time to time.

Additionally I am a sucker for a deal and I have a friend that can get Nikon Optics for 55% of MSRP.

So with that in mind, I topped the BLRHCS with a Nikon Black X-1000, 4-16 x 50 SF Matte, Illuminated, X-Moa Reticle.

[Linked Image]

The reticle is a little busy for an old "duplex" or A4 guy, but what the hey. I do enjoy the illuminated reticle at dark thirty or when using a kill light after dark, and Nikon has an I-Phone app called "spot on" that can be downloaded and the load "dope" can be entered that shows the distance equivalents at the hash marks/subtensions.

Quien Sabe,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/07/19.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have also never been a long range shooter, here in Northern Michigan the only real place
to take long shots is on a farm somewhere. Also appreciate the feed back from you
and the other experienced members here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Nice Gee... Glad to hear praise of something other than a 6.5 Creed!!!!

I've two of that iteration in house. Don't know why (well yes I do) but have not taken the opportunity to hunt with either.

My 260 Remingtons, 6.5 x 55's and 6.5 Leopard seem to call me much louder!

ya!

GWB

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have also never been a long range shooter, here in Northern Michigan the only real place
to take long shots is on a farm somewhere. Also appreciate the feed back from you
and the other experienced members here.

Just one man's opinion. Take everything I say with a grain of salt as Your Mileage May Vary!

I've had good luck with Browning rifles. Semi-autos, levers, high walls, A-Bolts and this X-Bolt. Just snuck up on a sweet Browning Medallion A-Bolt today in 270 WSM. I sold my last 270 WSM a few months back. If its a shooter, I'll strip the acrylic resin finish off and then do a Tru-Oil finish and enjoy.

IMHO, the 270 WSM is the most accurate of the four.

I bet you will enjoy your Browning HCLR in 270 WSM and I'll bet it too will be a shooter.

[Linked Image]

This one sure was!

Be sure to post pix when you get the chance!

ya!

GWB

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've got 2 of the Hell's Canyon rifles, a speed in 6.5 cm for a lightweight rig, and a LR McMillan in 28 Nosler for long range work. They both shoot lights out with almost anything you fed through them. Both have the mcarbo trigger spring, 2lb clean break every time. I feel like I could sell all my other rifles and just hunt with these two for the next 30 years. I won't, but I could 😁

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.