Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My 2018 bow season was great with all the species and states I enjoyed but only 2 days into 2019 I started this years bow hunts with a great buck. I took this private land Wisconsin, 10 point with a 10 yard heart shot and a 50 yard dash till his snow nap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was a really big bodied deer. After gutting, I weighed him at 205 Lbs. Dressed. I estimate his live weight at 240 Lbs.

[Linked Image]

4 days after killing him, I had the Euro mount finished and a green, gross score of 163 1/8.

Here he is next to the buck I killed in October. Both bucks green (gross) score in the 160's and will qualify for the P&Y book (Im unsure if I will enter them). Its not often that a guy kills two 160 bucks within months of each other but it was sweet to do it with a new drop away rest I designed that will roll out at the ATA show this week.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In a couple days I leave for the ATA show in KY as some of the products Ive recently designed will be rolled out there and shortly after that Im headed to FL to bow hunt Alligators and hogs. 2019 is starting to be another great bowhunting year.

Last edited by sharp_things; 01/08/19.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
BP-B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sharp_things
My 2018 bow season was great with all the species and states I enjoyed but only 2 days into 2019 I started this years bow hunts with a great buck. I took this private land Wisconsin, 10 point with a 10 yard heart shot......

[Linked Image]

Wow, that's precision shooting, the heart barely looks like it was shot through with an arrow.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Wow.....The green score and rack are very impressive. Congrats. I really curious how you Wisconsin bowhunters stay warm in the late winter?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Great Buck's congratulations

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Nice buck and what an impressive wall display of previous hunts. Thanks for sharing. Bow hunting is a blast.

IC B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Congratulations, those are two impressive bucks.

T
T
Very nice buck's! Congrats

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Its been about 90 days since I killed this buck in WI so I took it to the Deer and Turkey expo over the weekend to have it scored. The bucks are then put on display for the weekend for the attendees. When I went to pick it up there was a note on the rack asking me to come to the measuring area. It turns out the buck makes not only Pope and Young but also Boone and Crockett and the Wisconsin Buck and Bear club wanted it entered in their book. How often does a guy kill 2 160+ bucks in a single season? Then when the weekend concluded I found out I took second at the event.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now I have Utah archery Elk on the brain for Sept. but I think I will fit some other bow hunts in before that.

Member Wisconsin Bowhunters Assc, Wisconsin Traditional archers, Pope and Young, Asbhy 100,
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I retract this. And all post made on this thread. You are a poacher, period. You give all of us legal hunters a bad name.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/01/19.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 04/01/19.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I get an unavailable due to legal reasons. Can you give me the cliff note's

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

I get an unavailable due to legal reasons. Can you give me the cliff note's

This one should work for you unless you are on some funky network??

https://madison.com/sports/recreati...9217f20-56bb-11e2-b15a-001a4bcf887a.html

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Patrick Durkin: Notable bowhunter's future with WBH in doubt

PATRICK DURKIN | For the State Journal Jan 4, 2013

A Wisconsin Bowhunters Association board member, who is also its legislative liaison and represented the WBH on a 2007-08 stake-holder panel that helped rewrite Department of Natural Resources policies on chronic wasting disease, was cited for illegal baiting/feeding Nov. 17 in Portage County.

Baiting/feeding deer was banned in Portage County after CWD was found there in 2002.

Ronald G. Kulas, 48, of Delafield, one of 22 directors for the 6,000-member WBH, also represented the politically active group recently on DNR-appointed citizen committees that reviewed deer-management-unit boundaries and alternatives to earn-a-buck.

Kulas was cited about 10 a.m. on opening day of Wisconsin’s nine-day firearms deer season by Department of Natural Resources Warden Barry Meister. The citation notes Kulas was hunting from a tree stand about 40 yards from where corn was spread, and Kulas admitted dumping “about half of a 5-gallon pail of shell corn” the previous Monday, Nov. 12.

“The subject stated he placed the corn at this location because his elderly father was planning on hunting from this stand, but (his father) changed his mind and hunted elsewhere,” Meister wrote. The citation also notes Kulas shot a spike buck before Meister arrived.

The DNR banned baiting/feeding in Portage County because 80 deer on a fenced shooting preserve called the “Hall Farm” tested positive for CWD between 2002 and 2005. The farm, now quarantined DNR property, is about 20 miles south of where Kulas was cited.

The DNR has tested for CWD in Portage County annually since 2002, and confirmed the county’s first case of the disease in wild deer this past week. The sick 1.5-year-old doe was shot Nov. 18 west of Stevens Point near the Mead Wildlife Area. Two CWD-positive wild deer were also discovered in recent weeks in nearby Adams and Juneau counties.

When contacted by email Dec. 17, Kulas declined comment on his citation. He said it was a “personal matter” and he did not contest it in Portage County court in Stevens Point because of health-related family obligations.

“I own my mistake and (will) pay the cost ($343.50) but I would hope folks would respect my families (sic) privacy in this matter,” he wrote. Later that week, however, Kulas posted a 1,900-word explanation on a “Bowsite.com” forum.

Besides testifying often for the WBH at legislative hearings, Kulas has administered the WBH’s Internet forums. He also contributes often to other online forums, writing under names such as “Rancid Crabtree” and “Retch Sweeney,” characters created by humorist Patrick McManus for stories in “Outdoor Life” and “Field & Stream” magazines.

Kulas knew baiting/feeding deer is illegal in Portage County. Writing as “Retch Sweeney” on an April 23, 2012, online forum, he said: “I don’t place bait. It’s illegal in the parts of Wisconsin I hunt. If it were legal, I would still not place bait. I hunt dairy (agricultural) lands, so there is plenty of ag-intended bait I hunt around.”

On another online forum in August 2011, Kulas wrote: “Unless those ‘magic stumps’ are within 50 yards of your house, they are illegal bait sites, which makes (you) as good as a poacher.”

In explaining his Nov. 17 citation, however, Kulas claimed on Bowsite.com that he was cited for a feeding, not baiting, violation, even though Meister noted both are illegal.

Kulas further claimed he didn’t pour corn at the site, but “snapped off a few ears” in a nearby field, and wrung the kernels from the cobs. He wrote:

"It was the wrong thing to do but I rationalized it as doing what I could to help my dad get a deer for all he had done for me over the years. Besides, in six days those kernels would be gobbled up and long gone, even if it was squirrels and jays that made off with it. ... My dad was unaware of what I had done. He would not have wanted the help.”

Near the end of his online explanation, Kulas said he called the WBH’s president, Mike Brust, Wausau, to explain the situation. He wrote: “I am going to be resigning my position on the (WBH) board and as legislative liaison. It’s the correct thing to do. Nobody asked me to resign. ... I can continue to help the (organization) as an active volunteer, though not on the board.”

When contacted last week, Brust declined comment on Kulas’ citation and whether he or the WBH board accepted Kulas’ resignations. Brust said the organization doesn’t have specific policies for directors who violate fish-and-wildlife citations, but the board would discuss Kulas’ actions Jan. 12 at a directors meeting in Stevens Point.

Contact Patrick Durkin, a free-lance writer who covers outdoors recreation for the Wisconsin State Journal, at patrickdurkincharter.net or write to him at 721 Wesley St., Waupaca, WI 54981.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Patrick Durkin: Notable bowhunter's future with WBH in doubt

PATRICK DURKIN | For the State Journal Jan 4, 2013

A Wisconsin Bowhunters Association board member, who is also its legislative liaison and represented the WBH on a 2007-08 stake-holder panel that helped rewrite Department of Natural Resources policies on chronic wasting disease, was cited for illegal baiting/feeding Nov. 17 in Portage County.

Baiting/feeding deer was banned in Portage County after CWD was found there in 2002.

Ronald G. Kulas, 48, of Delafield, one of 22 directors for the 6,000-member WBH, also represented the politically active group recently on DNR-appointed citizen committees that reviewed deer-management-unit boundaries and alternatives to earn-a-buck.

Kulas was cited about 10 a.m. on opening day of Wisconsin’s nine-day firearms deer season by Department of Natural Resources Warden Barry Meister. The citation notes Kulas was hunting from a tree stand about 40 yards from where corn was spread, and Kulas admitted dumping “about half of a 5-gallon pail of shell corn” the previous Monday, Nov. 12.

“The subject stated he placed the corn at this location because his elderly father was planning on hunting from this stand, but (his father) changed his mind and hunted elsewhere,” Meister wrote. The citation also notes Kulas shot a spike buck before Meister arrived.

The DNR banned baiting/feeding in Portage County because 80 deer on a fenced shooting preserve called the “Hall Farm” tested positive for CWD between 2002 and 2005. The farm, now quarantined DNR property, is about 20 miles south of where Kulas was cited.

The DNR has tested for CWD in Portage County annually since 2002, and confirmed the county’s first case of the disease in wild deer this past week. The sick 1.5-year-old doe was shot Nov. 18 west of Stevens Point near the Mead Wildlife Area. Two CWD-positive wild deer were also discovered in recent weeks in nearby Adams and Juneau counties.

When contacted by email Dec. 17, Kulas declined comment on his citation. He said it was a “personal matter” and he did not contest it in Portage County court in Stevens Point because of health-related family obligations.

“I own my mistake and (will) pay the cost ($343.50) but I would hope folks would respect my families (sic) privacy in this matter,” he wrote. Later that week, however, Kulas posted a 1,900-word explanation on a “Bowsite.com” forum.

Besides testifying often for the WBH at legislative hearings, Kulas has administered the WBH’s Internet forums. He also contributes often to other online forums, writing under names such as “Rancid Crabtree” and “Retch Sweeney,” characters created by humorist Patrick McManus for stories in “Outdoor Life” and “Field & Stream” magazines.

Kulas knew baiting/feeding deer is illegal in Portage County. Writing as “Retch Sweeney” on an April 23, 2012, online forum, he said: “I don’t place bait. It’s illegal in the parts of Wisconsin I hunt. If it were legal, I would still not place bait. I hunt dairy (agricultural) lands, so there is plenty of ag-intended bait I hunt around.”

On another online forum in August 2011, Kulas wrote: “Unless those ‘magic stumps’ are within 50 yards of your house, they are illegal bait sites, which makes (you) as good as a poacher.”

In explaining his Nov. 17 citation, however, Kulas claimed on Bowsite.com that he was cited for a feeding, not baiting, violation, even though Meister noted both are illegal.

Kulas further claimed he didn’t pour corn at the site, but “snapped off a few ears” in a nearby field, and wrung the kernels from the cobs. He wrote:

"It was the wrong thing to do but I rationalized it as doing what I could to help my dad get a deer for all he had done for me over the years. Besides, in six days those kernels would be gobbled up and long gone, even if it was squirrels and jays that made off with it. ... My dad was unaware of what I had done. He would not have wanted the help.”

Near the end of his online explanation, Kulas said he called the WBH’s president, Mike Brust, Wausau, to explain the situation. He wrote: “I am going to be resigning my position on the (WBH) board and as legislative liaison. It’s the correct thing to do. Nobody asked me to resign. ... I can continue to help the (organization) as an active volunteer, though not on the board.”

When contacted last week, Brust declined comment on Kulas’ citation and whether he or the WBH board accepted Kulas’ resignations. Brust said the organization doesn’t have specific policies for directors who violate fish-and-wildlife citations, but the board would discuss Kulas’ actions Jan. 12 at a directors meeting in Stevens Point.

Contact Patrick Durkin, a free-lance writer who covers outdoors recreation for the Wisconsin State Journal, at patrickdurkincharter.net or write to him at 721 Wesley St., Waupaca, WI 54981.

Thank you I am overseas and neither link worked. I appreciate you posting it up here.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hmmm that sure changes things up!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Detaching your arm to slap your own back must be painful...Hopefully you don’t use your throwing arm. Need to save that for chucking bait.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Hmmm that sure changes things up!

Ya, the fat arrogant phugg is "vermin" & should be treated as such !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hopefully 2019 finds him doing community service at the very least.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
He's way more into self serving !

Pathetic POS.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not exactly what I was expecting when I opened this thread. Is it confirmed that Sharp Things is the poacher in the article above?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
159 members (01Foreman400, 338Rules, 6X6, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,586
Posts18,397,834
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.