Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Soon, I am going to need warmer boots than I currently have. One option I'm considering is the NEOS Navigator. They fit over your current boots, are insulated and have a gaiter like attachment.

https://www.overshoesneos.com/Overshoe_Neos_%20Navigator_5.html

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Plan B would be to spring for some pac boots.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've never had any luck at all with over boots when moving, but maybe I'm the only one.

I would get yourself some Mickey Mouse boots. (Link) Make sure you have socks that will go up to/over the calf (or at least above the boot top).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pointer, are they for stationary sitting as in a really cold deer stand?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like to use them not as overshoes but with sorel felt liners and some good insoles. Feel like mukluks but not as breathable, but they’re waterproof. Give and take ...

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
They work well

IC B2

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Pointer, are they for stationary sitting as in a really cold deer stand?
Eventually that would be a use for them. More pressing would be their use helping a pard with a bison tag in Alaska next month. Some of the cold in that country is a level that I've not got a whole lot of experience with and I'm not sure how much hiking will be involved and in what type of terrain.

Thanks everyone for the info.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm going to change my recommendation to the white Bunny Boots then smile

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
cwh2- How are the bunny boots for walking? They don't look the most comfortable and slickery...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pointer
cwh2- How are the bunny boots for walking? They don't look the most comfortable and slickery...

Personally, I think Bunny Boots suck. I've never found them as warm as a good "system" approach, and I'd take a well insulated Pack Boot any day (insulated lower with slip out insulated liner).

Or better yet, a heavily insulated boot with an overboot like the NEOS. I use an insulated "Super Gaiter" with rubber rand that leaves only the boots sole exposed. I have no experience with a full "overboot" like the NEOS.

Exposed Sole "Super Gaiter:

https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

Overboot:

https://www.40below.com/products_results.php?Search=1&ProductCategoryID[]=1

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer

Personally, I think Bunny Boots suck. I've never found them as warm as a good "system" approach, and I'd take a well insulated Pack Boot any day (insulated lower with slip out insulated liner).

Or better yet, a heavily insulated boot with an overboot like the NEOS. I use an insulated "Super Gaiter" with rubber rand that leaves only the boots sole exposed. I have no experience with a full "overboot" like the NEOS.

Exposed Sole "Super Gaiter:

https://www.mtntools.com/cat/techwear/Gaiters/mountaintoolssupergaiters.htm

Overboot:

https://www.40below.com/products_results.php?Search=1&ProductCategoryID[]=1

Not sure I need another option to mull over... wink That does look interesting and I could see that working, thanks for the idea. Now if I have some insulated boots to go with them...

Last edited by pointer; 01/10/19.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Personally, I think Bunny Boots suck.

I kind of agree, especially if lots of walking is on the agenda. I think pack boots suck too though.

Those super gaiters look really interesting!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This probably doesn't help you, and they're $750, but the La Sportiva Spantik is BY FAR the most comfortable double boot I have worn. It ain't for walking per se, but I see sheep guys wearing Koflach's and such, and I know how much worse those are to my foot than the Spantik. Maybe it's just my foot. The super gaiters look interesting to me as well...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The 40 Below are the cats ass! If you want warmth it is the way to go.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use Neos all the time, usually while I am coaching cross country ski races. They allow for almost any shoe or boot to slip inside and instantly keep your feet warm and dry as if it were 30-40 degrees warmer. They are ideal if you go from being very active and warm in your regular footwear to not for a while or vice versa. I met a guy who trekked across Greenland in a pair with running shoes inside.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

that's what I use snowshoeing and backcountry skiing (Altai Hoks)- sometimes with just trail runners, sometimes with my hunting boots (La Sportiva TRK's)

they are also nice around a snowy/cold camp- just slip them on over socks when nature calls smile

[Linked Image]

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I use Neos all the time, usually while I am coaching cross country ski races. They allow for almost any shoe or boot to slip inside and instantly keep your feet warm and dry as if it were 30-40 degrees warmer. They are ideal if you go from being very active and warm in your regular footwear to not for a while or vice versa. I met a guy who trekked across Greenland in a pair with running shoes inside.
Thanks for that! All I currently have are uninsulated boots, which is why I find the NEOS intriguing. Just not sure how well they would be to walk very far in. Then again, if I'm walking very hard I've not had a trouble keeping warm as I tend to run pretty hot. I could also see them being useful for stand hunting whitetails. Just walk in with lighter boots and put these on once on location. I really do get mental vapor lock over this stuff...

Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

that's what I use snowshoeing and backcountry skiing (Altai Hoks)- sometimes with just trail runners, sometimes with my hunting boots (La Sportiva TRK's)

they are also nice around a snowy/cold camp- just slip them on over socks when nature calls smile

[Linked Image]
Thoughts on using them without snowshoes or skis? From the pics I've seen of them, they don't look to have much of a sole on them.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Damn dude! Who got lucky and pulled that tag?

Looking forward to hearing about this hunt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
they’d be fine for glassing duties, but definitely not made for hiking any distance, it’s possible they could be altered to expose the soles of your boots- they may even make a model specifically for that????!

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtwarden
they’d be fine for glassing duties, but definitely not made for hiking any distance, it’s possible they could be altered to expose the soles of your boots- they may even make a model specifically for that????!
That was my thought in looking at them. The Supergaiter Brad linked above exposes the sole of your boot.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Damn dude! Who got lucky and pulled that tag?

Looking forward to hearing about this hunt.

BOY did...

The only thing I'm worried about you hearing is my b!tching about how cold it is. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Score!

I bought a pair of these for up there...

[Linked Image]

I can't help with your main question, but I will be bringing my Kenetrek Northern Pac Boots, in addition to muck boots. Worse case, you can borrow my packs unless size 9 is too small. When paired with some heavy socks, my Arctic Sport muck boots have served me well when it is well below -20. They're not bad for somewhat short hikes either.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did spring for the NEOS; just need to try them on to see if they will fit over my boots. If they don't, I'll probably put an order in with Hoffman boots for a pair of their pacs.

Nice mits! I'm thinking I may spring for some lined choppers too.

Last edited by pointer; 01/25/19.
pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm back and I didn't freeze my feet off! I'm actually quite pleased with the purchase and know I will get more use out of the NEOS Navigators. The overboots (XXL) were a very snug fit over my Cabelas Denalis. The strap across the top held them in place well and they did not flop around or cause me any trouble in walking. The insulation in them is a semi firm foam. Not too stiff to cause them to feel like boxes on your feet nor too bulky. The sole is a bit soft-ish with somewhat of a two tier design. The out treads weren't as deep as the inner and they were softer. I'm guessing they are to help give some "float" in snow. I'm heavy enough that it wasn't a help, but it did make for some neat looking tracks!

Though we didn't experience weather the area is known for, we did see -20º and colder a couple of times. My feel stayed warm with just a pair of Darn Tough Hunter socks, the uninsuated Denali's and the NEOS. I didn't put in any big mileage days, but did some walking and didn't feel anything different than with out the NEOS. No hot spots or flopping around. They stayed put and stable on the couple of days we had that involved some elevation gain/loss looking for birds. The one small knock is that the soft outsole took a bit more effort to get 'bite' on the ground when side hilling. These will see use in midwestern whitetail woods, possibly even cold or wet days chasing roosters, and likely even on a snowy elk hunt. While I will not say they are as good or better than good pacs (I've never had any), I see them as a very affordable and capable option for someone wanting to extend the weather/temperature window they use their current boots in.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So.... bison?

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The tag holder shot a cow bison. I'm glad I didn't get to experience any weather that DJ is infamous for...

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good deal.

I don't blame you on the cold. We did a winter Caribou hunt "sort of" in that neighborhood a couple years ago on snowmachines. Even -30 ambient is not any fun, and its easy to get yourself in trouble when the wind is constantly blowing.

pointer Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One of the days we climbed to the top of Donnelly Dome to look for ptarmigan. Up til about noon it was beautiful. Temps made it close to 20º. Then the wind started and just kept on blowing. A day like that with colder temps I could see where things could get interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
381 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 46 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.